Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Do they have to pay employees for orientation?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do they have to pay employees for orientation?

I was hired by a company and told to be there the next day for a 2 hour orientation. Reading their policies, signing agreements, ect.... The next day and my first day actually on the job I was told by a member of management that they do not pay you for that 2 hour orientation. Is this right and within the law?
Additional Details
I live in Iowa

BBM09
Rating
That doesn't sound right to me I have always been paid for my orientation.

Judy
No, legally they are required to pay you for orientation.

Kevin L
Rating
this is a grey area because they can consider this part of the pre employment preparation for example filling out an application you do not get paid for that. they may not have considered you an employee until your first full day. i think they are in the wrong but if i were you i would not complain because you are new and that is a good way to not have them like you. it is ok to vent but i would just let it go

crashtestpuppets
Employment is something mostly governed by the state. I think it might depend on the state you live in. Maybe even the home state of the company.

Now sure the Federal government does govern some employment issues. But you should start with your state first.

So what state do you live in?

Seeker
Rating
The company I work for before don't pay anything for classes you required to take. I do want to get pay for the time. Then again I want the job and the classes somewhat useful to me. So I don't complaint.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is it like being a Judge Advocate?
My husband is currently enlisted in the Marine Corp. He will be getting out in July and will almost have his BA in Criminalistics. He plans on using his G.I. bill to go on to law school. However, He ...

Do you know who is hiring right now..?
Hello everyone, do you know by any chance who is hiring at the los angels area. Anything is accepted at this moment. I need a second job as soon as possible.
Thank you!!!!!...

Need legal advice!!!?
Does anyone on here know anything about divorce laws in Virginia? I need advice from a lawyer or someone that know laws. Please help!!! My email is sunshine37615@yahoo.com or I have yahoo messenger. S...

Will workers who got laid off from Qimonda in Richmond, Virginia get their last paychecks ?
A whole bunch of workers from Qimonda got laid off and the company is not paying them their pay -- in some cases, thousands of dollars, severance pay, paid time off, and regular pay is being witheld ...

Is this legal retail practice?
I work at a cellphone store and if u want internet/messaging/insurance it is an OPTION. but my new manager is forcing us to put internet and insurance on all phones even if the customer doesn't ...

Do I have a legal case?
I recently moved and upon moving we cleaned the apt. thoroughly so we could get our deposit back. In our contract it states "the balance of all deposits will be refunded within two weeks of ...

Can i get an employers perspective?
I am a 20 year college student. I was arrested for my first time about a month a go. I was arrested for "MENACING" in Oregon and I will have to wait an entire year to do an expungement. My ...

Employment termination in California?
My friend "Wanda" was recently hired at a Vet office two days ago by the hiring manager. Today she received a call from the Manager who stated to her that the Owner/Vet (of the hospital) ...

What are some ideas for a job letter?
i want a job and i need ideas on how i can get this ...

How to get over being fired from a job because someone lied and cheated behind your back?

When it comes to being laid off?
Ok. Here is the deal basically my dad got laid off today. A day before getting his 90 days which would have made him a permanent employee.The excuse the supervisor gave him was that his job P...

I want to be a lawyer when I grow up. Will it be hard?
My sister says that all jobs are hard but I want to know things like how much money you get, how much time it takes up and if you enjoy it. Will it be worth it. I am smart but I just want to know ...

California court notice of failure to appear in court?
In nov of 2008 I got pulled over for out of date tags and got a fix it ticket and had a court date for late dec. Then mid december I got pulled over again for the same thing. I explained to the ...

Is it legal in Indiana to get fired over the phone?
I was terminated over the phone following a suspension for ...

Conditional Offer which fell through...what can be done?
I received a conditional offer from an employer. When I was younger, I ended up being convicted of a misdemeanor, which has since been expunged. The court told me I could answer "NO" on ...

Do I need a work permit?
Im 15 and live in london and I need a job, but can't because i'm not 16 yet (not until June).

I heard I need to get a work permit to work at this age. Is this true and can i ...

I used my personal days for 3 days of work i missed and i still got wrote up for missing those days.?
is there any law against that. now im scared to miss work again afraid of loosing my job. today i couldnt make it because of the 10+ inches of snow and i dont know whats going to happen to me. can i ...

Can a juvenile probation officer violate me for not having a job???.... i am only pending not on probaiton yet?

I have questions about job discrimination!?
I work for a small independent family owned business. The owner has his two children working there. He shows more than favoritism to his children when it comes to work ethic. For example, his ...

Seeking employment oppty.or career,but i have a felony background?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links