Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Does anyone that has narcolepsy able to claim disability living allowance?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does anyone that has narcolepsy able to claim disability living allowance?

i recently tried to claim dla as i have narcolepsy and was refused was wondering if anyone else who has this life-long condition has been able to claim or what benefits i am entitled to .

sleepycatz1972
being able to qualify for benefits generally depends on how severe the case is. not everyone with narcolepsy would qualify for it (no one in my family would and there are 4 of us with it). in fact, of all the narcoleptics that i know - and i know several hundred with it - only one here qualifies for dla. he is unable to stay awake for more than 2-3 hrs at a time, he has dozens of cataplexies a day and he has been hospitalized for his hallucinations. his case is DEFINITELY not the average case of narcolepsy.

best bet is to gather all your dr records, including any test results & info from him stating it is so severe that you cannot work - and take it to the CAB for an appeal. you may be able to get it approved after submitting things a second time. (in the US, it is pretty common for things to be disqualified, then approved on a later appeal.) good luck. this disrder is incredibly misunderstood and underestimated in just how damaging it can be to one's lifestyle.

(and for the person who's friend is hooked up at night for his sleep disorder, he uses that for apnea not narcolepsy.)

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm#searchbox

mowglimama
Rating
It depends on how severely it affects your daily life, but as the others have said I'd contact the CAB and ask them if they'd help you put together an appeal against the original decision.

My Grain
Rating
That's disgusting,of course they should give you disability allowance.I'd go to the CAB.

s.j.compton@btinternet.com
Rating
ohh that's a tough question i think you should sleep on it ..

prity
Rating
IT jobs-http://oracjob.com/

DarkSpirit48
im sure they are

Les
Rating
I would imagine so as it is pretty debiliating and you can cant work so what are you supposed to do, not sure what rate of DLA you would be entitled to, remember when applying to imagine your illness on its very worst day and use this when explaining how it affects you, remember you can always appeal

princessbi2006
Rating
Definitely go through the CAB. I've heard people who have applied on their own, and been refused, then appealed with the CAB's help and got it. They'll be able to give you the best advice to help you recieve it.

Chris
Rating
Why? My friend has this and he works. He is connected to a machine every night, but he has a normal life during the day. He works for his extra money.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

In Indiana, is it legal for my employer to withhold my paycheck for forgetting to sign my timecard?
Our county auditor withheld my paycheck because I had not had a chance to take time off from work at the Sheriff's Dept to go sign my timecard from two weeks ago. Everyone else in the ...

I need to know if a person draws workmans comp can you draw unemployment from that job in kentucky??

I gave a 2 week notice to my employer. The next day the employer told me not to come back.Am I owed any $$?
I gave my employer a 2 week notice because I was offered a better paying job. The next day my employer contacted me and told me that I "did not have to return" to work because I had ...

I am 17 and in need of a job, any suggestions? PLZ!!!?
I have applied to various places and no one has hired me I think it might be because I am 17 and have never had a job. If anyone knows anyone who is hiring or anywhere where I might apply please let ...

How long does a 1st written warning last?
I'm confused by information on the ACAS website. It states that a first written warning shuld only remain on ones person file foor six months BUT it also states that if one receives a written ...

My school just made a rule forbidding twilight books in school, is that legal?
i go to a christian school and the principal thinks that the twilight saga is going against what we are tought in school. but can they really forbid us from having them in school?
what else ...

Have I been discriminated against by my boss?
More than once I have been discriminated against by my boss, yet I don't know which of the instances may have broken common anti-discrimination policy/rules. Here are the instances, could anyone ...

Any answers on being fired?
I recently lost my job and I am seeking a new job either in the same field or something different. I originally was hired for one position with this company and that position changed within a month ...

Are employers required by law to compensate for company meetings?
If an employee is asked to attend after-hour or early morning company meetings, should they be compensated bye the employer by law?...

Is there a law out there stating that an employee has to get certain amount of hours of sleep a night?
My boss puts me to close (midnight) one night and then open (6am) the very next day. Between the things I do in order to go to sleep and getting to work that's only like 4 hours of sleep!
<...

Pregnant lady, employer wants change of hours & mentions 'Redundancy' when I said I couldn't..?
I'm 13wks pregnant, worked for employer part time for 20mths & don't have a written contract.

I've been working the same 3 days & hrs for over a yr. 2 of my days off ...

Background check, who pays for it if employer requires it.?
This is in the state of Texas and I am asked to pay a $50 fee to do the check with fingerprint....

Is it legal for a prospective employer to verify your current salary?
I am applying for several jobs in which I have been asked what I my current salary is. Is this legal??? If I am honest, then how am I ever going to get a job that pays more than what I currently ...

In the UK, If you quit your job what benefits are you entitled to?
In the UK, If you quit your job what benefits are you entitled to, JSA or just hardship and how much?

Links to hard facts appreciated also....

Is it legal to photocopy of ID from employee?

When I quit my job am I owed both accrued vacation and sick time...or just vacation time?
I am in the state of Louisiana so any help from the locals would be appreciated....

Unfair Job Advice??
I am in need of serious advice here please. I am an assistant manager of a store and have many years of experience. The new store manager is giving my jobs to a member of staff who is below me. So ...

What information will an employer release about a former employee?
I am not sure if this is a legal issue, but I have heard that many employers are reluctant to release information for fear of lawsuits. For example, an employer might discuss a former employee'...

Is this legal...is there a law governing overtime rates of pay...?
My employer paid time and a half for any work done over the contracted 37.5 hours per week .They have now announced that they are abolishing overtime rate and will replace it with flat rate. So any ...

Is NOT getting paid for overtime illegal?

Additional Details
I live in South Carolina if that makes any ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, September 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links