Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Ex-employer trashing my name after I resigned...?
Find answers to your legal question.

Ex-employer trashing my name after I resigned...?

I live in California.

I am an engineer, who resigned my position after two unfullfilling years, and I am getting through the grapevine that they are taking trash about me to potential employers...

What can they say about me, legally, and what recourse might I have.

Thanks for your help.

majormomma
A former employer can say anything they want about you in a reference as long as the information is true. However, most employers only give basic information to avoid being sued by the former employee.

What's happening is that your former employer is spreading bad information about you informally, off the record. I'm sure the engineering community is small and people know each other and they talk. It's very hard to prove this is happening unless people are willing to testify that they heard this person slandering you.

You could hire an attorney to write a letter to your former employer's company, demanding that the bad-mouthing stop, or you could visit the HR department yourself and explain to them what has happened and that you want it to stop. I'm willing to bet someone will speak to your former manager and he will stop talking about you. I'm also willing to bet the HR department will only confirm dates of employment after that.

betseylou69
Legally they can only advise your position, your salary and total time of employment with them.

undercovernudist
Rating
That is Slander and if you can prove it they are open to a lawsuit, the chick above is right those are the only things they can legally say about you, they can also answer the question, would you ever rehire he or she?

Abel
Rating
Many employers are neutral about a bad reference. My advice to you is do not reveal any negative situation unless directly asked. If you must explain a negative situation, keep it brief and blame-free. Emphasize how you have learned from the situation and emphasize that the same problem will not reoccur.

If you simply had a troublesome relationship with a former boss or co-workers but were not fired, there is no need to share these negative details in the interview.

All we really need to keep firmly in mind when we have an employment handicap is this one simple truth: There are two kinds of employers: those who will be put off by your handicap, and therefore won't hire you; AND those who will not be put off by your handicap, and therefore will hire you, if you are able to do the job.

You are only looking for those employers who are not put off by your handicap, and therefore will hire you if you can do the job.

So: if the employer you are talking to in a particular interview is obviously bothered by your (supposed) handicap, you want to quietly bring that interview to a conclusion, and ask them -- in parting -- if they know of anyone of anyone else who might be interested in your skills. Keep going until you find that second kind of employer.

Peace and blessings!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was getting harassed at work, then I get fired?
Long story short, I found out that our receptionist was listening to other people's phone calls, including mine. I knew she could do this before, since she told me she found out by accident once....

Is it legal to put a ministry this leader is collecting money her ministry is not registered ?
this so called overseer is not a pastor but a nurse,she is claiming to be an overseer yet she is collecting a mandatory 10% to each member,and out it in her own bank account,her ministry is not ...

Employer falsely accused me?
I need help. I was terminated from my job because my employer said that another employee signed an affidavit saying that I tried to recruit her and start my own company. Their lawyer sent me a letter ...

Wrongful termination?????
was in a car accident and had to be out of work but still was in my 90 day probabation period at work and we have a no fault policy which means that they give us a certain amount of days out of a ...

Is working in Law stuffy and strict? Is it in any way a caring profession?
I really want to make a difference to others and either want to do teaching or advice work and want to know about working in Law or for the CAB (This is a UK based question thanks)...

I accepted a manager position but now I want to decline it.?
I accepted a manager position, but upon further review I would like to decline it.
I never signed a paper.
I was offered a different position and I got it, then they said they wanted to ...

Paralegal Work In Germany....Is it popular?
I am planning to move to Berlin, Germany with my EU citizen fiance, we do plan to marry here in the US first (I am a US citizen). I'm in school now to get my certification as a paralegal and ...

Has anyone been able to obtain a degree whilst holding down a full time and demanding job?
I would love to get a degree, but don't you basically have to just work, eat, sleep, study and nothing more?...

Applying for new job,if I did not mention my last employment will it appear on my personal record?
I was fired on my last job, the supervisor & I are not in good terms, definitely he will not give me a good feedback.If I did not mention my last employment (work there for a month only) upon ...

Anyone know about california labor laws?
if i had full time benefits (80 hours payd vacation, 40 hrs paid sick) for 10years, even though i was never a full time employee, can it just be taken away from me for no reason?
i average 30 ...

What is the average yearly salary for a court stenographer?
and wat is the average for money per hour..
is it 25$ per hour and atleast 200,000 per year??
i live in NY btw.....

I am a fresher MBA graduate and i have done also SAP in HR. But i am not getting any job. Any sol?
Actually i want to estabilish my career in SAP. But i have done it from a normal institute. Can i eligible for the Siemens Institute examination for getting SAP certification. If yes then what is the ...

An employee at my job is under investigation for theft due to the amount of merchandise lost in inventory
.. it came back so bad up to $60,000 lost due to theft in ten months. A manager told me recently that sense that number was so high it must be do to internal theft as well, and bad inventory. They ...

Unemployment/Severance?
I work for a company X. Company X has a lot of subsidiaries. My subsidiary is being eliminated but Company X wants me to go work for another subsidiary (the work is equivalent) so I will have a job. I...

Finding a job?
im having a hard time finding a job in the buford ga area because i have a misdemeanor asssault on my record, any of you guys have tips?...

Is the Recruitment Company liable for lost earnings?
Long story short...2 months or so ago I was approached by a recruitment company who had come across my CV via one of the major UK job websites.

They called me up and asked if they could ...

Employee rights?
I've been put on paid suspension since last month pending an investigation. So far the investigation has been completed, but I still don't know what I done wrong. I did not receive any ...

I would like 2 know how 2 become a lawyer. wat r the requirements? should i take any special classes in hs?

I worked in the state of GA and wasnt paid for it What should I do?
I have 3 other individuals that were all told the same thing..the lost wages between alll of us may only be 20-40hrs. Does anyone know the law on this ? I would prefer to sue than to go to the labor ...

Is there a way around law school?
I want to run my own consulting business as far as providing information to clients regarding wills/trust, bankruptcy, divorce/child custody modifications etc. I want to be able to do more than a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, December 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links