Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Have I been discriminated against by my boss?
Find answers to your legal question.

Have I been discriminated against by my boss?

More than once I have been discriminated against by my boss, yet I don't know which of the instances may have broken common anti-discrimination policy/rules. Here are the instances, could anyone tell me if any of these or all may be grounds for legal action? Thanks

1st time - I am Catholic and went to church for Ash Wednesday service. On Ash Wednesday the priest draws a cross with ash on one's forehead, which we keep on our foreheads all day. Upon return to work I caught my boss telling someone else (he thought I could not hear): "I don't agree with what John Doe (me) has on his forehead. He should do that in private..." then he stopped when he noticed that I was listening and he got red in the face and stopped. I felt attacked and violated

2nd time - (By the way, I'm of white race but am from Argentina, so I am "culturally Hispanic") During a field visit my boss pointed to a woman working in a warehouse and said "you should marry her" and I asked "what?" and he said "Well, she's Hispanic"

3rd time - My boss gave me a book on "how to dress" and told me that I should dress better for the work place (I always wear business casual, which is the company's dress code)

I have lost my respect for this person, and don't feel welcome at my job because of his comments, yet everyone else is nice, so I haven't resigned. Yet, I want to be prepared and just want to know if I have enough grounds before I contact an attorney. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

bernie1701
Technically no. I understand your feelings though. You need to understand that the best way to handle this is to go and talk to him. Tell him that you feel he is being unkind with his remarks then if it continues go to the EEO representative at your work. You have the burden of proof and in a he said situation, denial will get him off from any liability.
The other thing you can do is to ask him politely if you can tape the conversation. If he says no, don't. If he says yes, do it.
As a manager I always wondered what the cross on the forehead was until I asked. He may not know. All the Catholics where I work wear them on Ash Wednesday and we have a special service for them.
Another item - what do you class as business casual. Where I work it is dress pants and shirt, socks and shoes. No tennis shoes or sports shirts. Make sure you check your company's policy before you speak with him.

stinkinggenius2003
Rating
Grow up and get a different job if you don't like it.

Thats the problem with people they want the legal system to solve everyones problems - and your problem is your thin skin

You work with a guy everyday for years of course he will make you mad at some point - GET OVER IT

James W S Parker
Wow, goodness me; you really are in a situation here.
This is what I advise, get a dictation and record all vocals around you.
You need to approach your boss in a civilised, kind and positive manner and ask him in which you could improve your performance.
Ask for his opinions, and remember; show positive attitude, even if he is negative against you.

You need to convince him, that you have a good part in the company and your beliefs won't interfere with the company in any way.

Good luck, record with a dictaphone though, just in case there are problems; and then you can use it as proof, create backups too!

Misty
Honestly, that doesn't sound like discrimination...yet. I would just document everything and keep it in safe place (not on your work computer). Be kind to your boss and do your job to the best of your ability. Unless he discriminates in ways that cause you to be reprimanded when others aren't, lose pay, work more hours, promotes other less qualified people than you, stuff like that, he is really just being ignorant not discriminatory.

If he says things like "you should marry her she's Hispanic" politely say, I don't appreciate that comment...or laugh it off. It's up to you how you handle it. You can choose to show your offended, or you can choose to show you are bigger than him.

westtexasgirl2004
sounds like you are too whiney. get over it. grow up or quit.

Amanda K
Rating
You should check out a website called PEDOL. They might help you on this.

Reminds me of high school.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What information will an employer release about a former employee?
I am not sure if this is a legal issue, but I have heard that many employers are reluctant to release information for fear of lawsuits. For example, an employer might discuss a former employee'...

Is this legal...is there a law governing overtime rates of pay...?
My employer paid time and a half for any work done over the contracted 37.5 hours per week .They have now announced that they are abolishing overtime rate and will replace it with flat rate. So any ...

Is NOT getting paid for overtime illegal?

Additional Details
I live in South Carolina if that makes any ...

Lawyer threatens to contact employer?
My Friend (A) is in a dispute with someone, who hired a lawyer (B). B threatened A that they would contact A's employer and tell them about what was going on, if A did not do a certain thing by ...

Is it legal for an employer to do a mass layoff in a dpmnt(50%+), and almost a month later post same position?

Isn't making a person work 7 days a week illegal even when paying overtime?
My fiance is a machinist and works five days a week 12 hours per shift. He works 60 hours a week and they pay him overtime for 20 of those hours. Well now they fired two people at the shop and now ...

Do you get paid time and a half if you work on Memorial Day ?
A friend of mine told me that you get paid time and a half on a few holidays, one of which being Memorial Day.... is this true?...

Can you be an attorney if you have a felony on your criminal record?

Disability discrimination at work - dda?
My friend feels he is being discriminated against at work. His employer denies this obviously. Does my friend have to prove this to a level without question for it to be taken seriously? His friends ...

Do employers have the legal right to do this?
I quit my job because it was so hard for me to make my quota. During training it was made perfectly clear that there was no quota only "expectations". (A subtle hint for me to get out of ...

How do employers know if you have your g.e.d or not for employment? an how do they check to see if you do?

Past employer still threatening me?
After quitting my job almost three weeks ago after working in a environment of harsh speaking staff and negativity-

I have gotten 3 letters from them about company property(which I ...

I want to resign from my new job...Am I doing the right move?
I'm a bank employee. I resigned from my first job which I've been with for 5yrs and transferred from another company thinking that it can give me the chance to have a better career & ...

Age discrimination at work?
i have heard that it is now illegal to ask for date of birth on a British job application form. can anyone direct me to a site that states this in writing pls. i have tried a few sites and cant find ...

Can I still pursue a career as a police officer?
About nine years ago, I was ticketed for shoplifting. I was 19 at the time, and was put on a probationary period. If no similar offenses occured, it would not be on my permenent record. I know ...

Can you use a made up signature on legal docs?
I have made up a signature that actually isn't my name. Can i use this to sign documents. It is kind of a nickname people call me.
Thanks for any answers!...

My boss smokes inside our office is that legal? I am in California?
My boss has been smoking cigars inside the office. He doesn’t even close the door. Sometimes I am asked to do extra work that involves lifting heavy materials. There has been times when he sees a big ...

Can you become a lawyer without passing the bar exam?

My husband was just let go from his job, it was done unfairly what should we do?
My husband started a new job, no where did he sign that he agreed to no pay. He was not paid for the time he worked and was let go unfairly. It was for not taking a handbook home, which his manager ...

Friend was fired for getting a coke and going to the bathroom?
my friend was suspended and then a week later fired. He clocked out, grabbed a soda and went to the bathroom. When he came out he was met by his supervisors and was told he was suspended until ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links