Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How do i dress up my resume when the only jobs i have had are fast food and dry cleaning ?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do i dress up my resume when the only jobs i have had are fast food and dry cleaning ?

I am now getting started in my career in the legal field. I will graduate from college in March. I do not have any experience working in a professional office setting. Other than my typing and computer skills, what can I put on my resume (without flat out lying) that would make a law office want to hire me ?

BonesofaTeacher
clubs in college?
offices you held in those clubs?
you need to do an internship.
honestly, you have failed to do anything that makes you an outstanding candidate.

Im Angel baby Rihana due 12/11
I use this resume writing service in my area, this is the email address, (resume.help50@yahoo.com) you should try them, it only cost me $35.00 and I got a great job from this new resume, I never thought about the format that they use but the turn around time was less then 24 hrs. I would have to say it was the best service I have ever used and it was worth every dime. Also they let me pay through paypal.

haven
Fast food - did you work the counter ? Put 'experience in dealing with all customer types, and in fulfilling difficult requests in an efficient and cost-effective manner' (ex someone wanted no meat on their hamburger) , 'handled payments and customer complaints while working in a fast -paced environment', 'built a strong foundation in multitasking', and 'used organizational skills to simplify where able, to increase productivity' (ex you put the napkins on the left side of the register instead of the right side where you might knock them over).

If you didn't work the counter, and you worked the grill or something, you could still use the multitasking/organization/fast paced phrases but make them more specific to the job you did.

John
Rating
Well since you have the skills and not the experience, I would list education first.
1.School(the skills you acquired)
2.Then you put in the fast food restaurant

In other words you want to put down first what you been doing since your last job, which is getting skills. No need to lie.

Francesca Thomas
multi-tasking,
customer service,
dealing with upset clients,

artwhiterealtor
Is there any way you can demonstrate past or current interest in the position? For instance, have you read a book about the kind of practice that the office specializes in, have you worked on a volunteer project that is related in substance or skill set? If not, then join something now or read something now. "I have been reading A Civil Action and think that working in a law office can truly make a difference in the lives of people who are injured and need advocacy." "I see that you do a lot of civil rights work. I have just joined the ACLU." etc. Have you taken a course? Could you sign up for a community college or adult education course on some aspect of the legal system? Even if you start right now you could say, "I am currently enrolled in . . . Business Law 1010, Introduction to Legal Assisting, Basic Real Estate law, etc. etc.". Write a good cover letter demonstrating enthusiasm and the source of those feelings. Find ways to demonstrate a commitment to working in that environment and follow through.
Good luck.

Gungadin
Rating
Clean paper and no food stains.

ladyranavan
Rating
Try saying things like "team player" which fast food is all about, but so is an office setting. Think of other transferable skills such as time management, multi-tasking etc. Sometimes its not all about technical skill, just being a hard working person can get you quite far.

ashley r
Rating
If you want to work in a law office but have not had experience in an office enviroment you should highlight your accomplishments while you've been at college. Classes you've taken, certificates or recognition you've gained, any internships or volunteer experience you have. Also highlight the skills you've gained from your jobs or college, for instance you've gained the ability to be a team player working in the fast food industry.

dodomeat228
Rating
working in a fast food joint/cleaners does not mean that u don't learn about things like:-
1. management
2.costing
3.time management
4.trainer
5.troubleshooting
6.customer service etc
if u were to look back carefully u will realised that all the above stated have actually been done by u. My advise is read as many management books as u can, irrespective of how old the books are & u will be able to spot what i have just said. In the legal field , its no difference. U need to have customer handling skill, u need to troubleshoot, u need costing, u need time management & u need to be able to train yr support staff.
Simple things like frying fries, u learn about time management, costing--when to change the oil, u need management-how much to cook at different time, management--u need to know how to juggle between the counter & the bain marie etc, & trainer--need to train new guys.

Hope that helps. But law---that u need fr college.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Am i required to work a notice?
i worked as a xmas temp in a shop for 3 four hour shifts. i now wish to leave, im under a 0 hour contract. do i need to work a notice?...

STARTING SALARY of 7,500$ monthly for a lawyer without experience,Is this good???
My sister got a job as a corporative/laboral lawyer with the salary that I mentioned BEFORE.IS THIS A GOOD PAY???...

My brother can't get a job anywhere because of criminal convictions. What can he do?
Over the past 3 years, he has a felony and several lesser convictions against him including a DUI. All others are related to possesion. He's also spent 4-5 months over the past year in jail.

Is it legal for a company to not hire someone because they smoke cigarettes?
Or would that be considered discrimination?...

What are my options if convicted of a white collar crime 6 months? Do you always put down you have a felony?
Long story short I was convicted of a white collor crime got 6 mth probation should have got nothing; i have a huge resume with a ton of experience in sales and managing. Do you always put down you ...

My husbands ex-boss will not give him his last 2 paychecks. Does anyone know any good lawyers?
I just need some advise on what to do. Im thinking of calling the better business bureau. any ideas?...

My criminal background is making it impossible to find employment anyone have any suggestions?
where can i apply for a job who dont care about criminal backgrounds ive stayed out of trouble for 4 ...

What is the career path to become a pro sports agents? Do most have law degrees or MBAs?

What are some valid reasons for voluntarily quitting a job so you can qualify for unemployment?

Ok, this is a bit of a long story, but i shall try and explain it as short as possible?
i was sacked from my job in january (i was working in a pub) and i found out i was sacked as i recieved a letter through my door (delievered by hand), the letter didnt explain much and it also said ...

What exactly does a paralegal do?
And what's the potentiality as a Paralegal in San Francisco?...

I need to know the law regarding references?
I need a letter of reference from my previous employer for a job I'm applying for but there was some bad feeling when I left last year. I was employed on a 6 month contract but for good reason ...

The office manager is drinking on the job?
I caught her last Weds in the whse drinking during work hours. She then sent an email to be telling me how to do my job (like I just started yesterday) I went to my supervisor who, got mad, but does ...

Do lawyers work hard ?
i mean when they dnt have cases to handle what do they do ?
and also is it that hard to prepare a case ?
last question : do they improvise in court ? or everything is prepared ?...

6 Days Mandatory for Salary Employee Legal?
I don't believe this is legal. Please confirm. Is 6 Days Mandatory for Salary Employee Legal?
Every salary employee here have to work 6 days because our boss said so. Is this legal?...

I am getting a background check today?
and i have a misdemeanor for shoplifting.. will it show up??? Will i still get the job???
Additional Details
i didnt get arreste, just a ticket and still have 2 go 2 court 4 it.. i'...

Demotion at work and pay reduced?
Recently some of the line supervisors where I work have been told that they are going to have there pay cut and somebody else was going to be doing the job that they have.Is this class as demotion ...

I was recently fired from my job after 6 yrs. due to attendance issues will I still be able to collect?

Can a workforce leave a trade union and act together without it?
We are a workforce of at least 400 working in the HUBs for TNT Express UK.
Our employer wants to reduce our wages by £100 PER WEEK.
Our current trade union, UNITE doesn't seem to be ...

I have been put on short working hours with my work mates, with our permission.?
The problem i have is that during the time that this has been running some of our workmates have lost no time and worked overtime, also now one section has been put back on 5 days and we all are ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links