Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How does "constructive discharge" work?
Find answers to your legal question.

How does "constructive discharge" work?

My friend wants to quit her job of almost two years because lately they have become almost abusive in the office. She rarely gets any break in a nine hour day and when she does it's only about 15 or 20 mins so she barely has time to eat-- and that's if she's lucky! She's brought this to their attention and done everything possible to change this but they just keep making promises they don't keep. She isn't permitted any sick or vacation days so she's gotten to the point where she literally can't take it anymore. Unfotunately, with the economy being the way it is, she doesn't want to quit without knowing that she has a case for unemployment. Someone recommended that she claim "constructive discharge" which means that her work enviornment became intolerable to the point where she HAD to quit. My question is, how does all this work and how can she find out how strong of a case she has? Her worry is that she'll quit and be unable to get unemployment. Is there any way to find out what her chances are of collecting? NJ labor laws only discuss harassment and hazards, what about abuse as far as denying employees breaks or lunch? Thanks!

rwa000
Rating
you are not going to want to hear this, there is no federal law that mandates breaks and on a few states do, NJ is not one of them, as far as quitting because of it she will not be able to collect unemployment, so there really is no harassment

Your Answers
You can find latest jobs in your area,find now at
http://serebii.info/

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Personal documents for employment question?
I applied for a job and the employer asked for a background check, mvr (7 year driving record), medical records, tb test, copies of ssn card, id (passport), car insurance and cpr & first aid ...

Please help me out with my dreams!?
i want to be a csi. a crime scene investigator. thats my dream. i want to be the one that will take the pictures and collect evidence at the crime scene such as bullets and what not. im 14 so what ...

Employment information used unlawfully?
I have been sending out lots of applications to many places and among them are some rental places like Rent fist and Arrons rental and Rent a center.

I have received call from all three, ...

Is it legal to pay waitresses minimum wage if...?
My gf was just fired from her job as a waitress at a privately owned restaurant. In an effort to "help" his employees, the owner pays his waitstaff based on minimum wage. He takes the total ...

Who employs human/civil rights attorneys?
Is it the government or private sector?...

Law over when i should get paid?
I work for my brother in law who owns an online business. Im the guy who makes the banner designs for the website. I am not an employee but rather a vendor. I cant change to be an employee but my ...

Should I called the employer again?
I applied for this job and they called me for a interview. The interview went great and the man kept saying that I'm just perfect and he said he would called me on Sat (my interview was on ...

What legal matters can I do if I knew someone stole my stuff?
I just moved in an off campus apartment with 3 other people. I have my own room and I do have a lot of valueables. It hasn't even been a week and already my camera, and my straightener have been ...

Does your employer have to put you back to work at your regular job, once off Workman's Comp.?

I have a misdemeanor that will be expunge on 4/13/09 should i wait to aplly for work.?
I work in the billing,account receivables ,collections thing like that and i need a job and don;t really wanna change up on my career goals....

Can your injury lawyer guide you through your case process?
Such as going to see a doctor or how to answer cecertain questions by the defendant lawyer....

How is being a PARALEGAL,work & atmosphere wise?
I am thinking of becoming a paralegal & taking it in school next month,when classes start hows the pay, I live in So. fla online it looks like I should make about $30,000 when I finish school &...

Criminal Justice Careers involving computers?
Majoring in criminal justice but enjoy and good with computers. Wondering if there are careers in that field that are computer based?...

Is it legal to be paid by the minute?
Im a carer was being paid by the job now we log in while we are with a client and out when we leave , we get no travel time or petrol money and it looks like we will be on 10p a minute, we just dont ...

Can my partner ask for redundancy?
The company that my partner works for is struggling to find work for all its employies and is laying lads off in 2 week blocks. Some are now o their 3rd lot round of lay off time.. My partner has had ...

Help with contract law! Am I bound to this contract?
An employee at a tanning salon explained a package to me and we reached an express agreement to sign up. Then they brought me to the counter and had me electronically sign a pad, not telling me that ...

A couple questions about becoming a lawyer?
How much does it cost to prep for the bar in CA?

How much does it cost to take the bar in CA?

Can you only take the bar once or can you take it multiple times? If so how many? A...

Lying about why I was terminated?
I worked at this company for 9 months, one day i came in a lil exhausted, I drunk the night before but I was completely fine while working. I fell asleep on lunch I came back an hour late , i was ...

Kant maintains that the only thing is an unqualified good is?

Has anyone ever heard of this labor law?
in Texas or anywhere that basically says depending on your job title and job description determines whether you are salary or hourly? My boss lady just told me that yesterday and guess what...I'...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links