Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How far back can employers check for a felony?
Find answers to your legal question.

How far back can employers check for a felony?

My husband has just passed his 10 year mark from the date of his conviction. He has been checking the "NO" box and now he's a little worried that they might be able to find it. Especially since he wasnt intentionally lying, he was just under the impression that the limit was up. We were under the impression it was 7 years, but have also seen it say 10. Either way we figure it has been both of those amount of times. I do pretty well on a computer and cant find any records of his felony in any of the court websites, unless I go to the actual DOC website and search inactive inmates, but I also know that jobs will pay for the background check websites, which I have no experience with. Anyone that has something helpful, I thank you in advance!!

shoredude2
Rating
If the question says "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?", then the answer is yes.

If the question says "Have you been convicted of a felony in the last 10 years?", then the answer is no.

For some jobs, there is not limit. And if you can search the DOC website, so can any future employer.

Niebling
Rating
I have heard 7, but I suspect that murder or violent crime transcends this limit. Don't quote me...

kapn
Sorry a felony is forever............

ashleyjburke85@yahoo.com
It depends on the third party they go through. Some go back 7, some go back 10, some only do instate 7 to 10 years.. Some will do out of state as well.. I know of one employer who just checks county. Its really all up in the air.. An FBI check will stay forever. I know my grandmother was able to work for the census and she had a felony in 1979.. and even the goverment didnt catch that.. so i dunno

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does this mean I am getting hired ?
I had a interview today. The manager had a stack of papers and was nice enough to just ask me to tell her about myself. We discussed my schedule. She asked me if I would be able to work holidays and ...

My job won't pay me correctly!?
Since the headquarters of my co have moved and new people have joined payroll, I have been shorted for at least two days of work. When I call them and provide them with documentation that I have ...

What type of lawyer do I need?
I bought something from a site, and the seller agreed to refund my money because I was dissatisfied with the service. I asked for the refund in the time alloted as per the refund policy. I never had ...

Legal Advice Washington Business Law, Time off?
How long; may a employer in Washington state, ask (tell / hold) a employee to stay late. as in legally, My employer is holding me 1.5 hours over my scheduled off time and Its getting aggravating ...

Arizona Paralegal, Can it be done?
I reside currently in Arizona, and I'm having a hard time finding a college with a Paralegal Studies program. I really need an Online Paralegal course, since transportation is limited.

First time paralegal?
I am starting a new job as a paralegal, this is my first job as a paralegal and he is going to have me do dictaion. Is it hard? What should i expect?...

Law enforcement help please?
earlier today my sister was driving through a parking lot, she stopped to let a car go into a parking space when an excursion she braked hard and missed car.

an half an hour later a law ...

Could I sue for getting minimum wage?
I am getting paid 7.21 an hour and the minimum wage in Florida is 7.25. I would like to know if there's anything I could do because of getting paid under minimum wage. Could I sue? What would be ...

Resume help: how many years back should one go back in regards to employment history?

How involved are assistant district attorneys (ADA) involved in cases?
Do they spend much time in a court room or more time behind a desk?
Is it hard to find a job? Cities Like maybe Phoenix, Seattle, or San francisco?...

Workplace harassment?
being told i lied and have proof i didnt but boss dont beleive me the liar been ther longer is this ...

I can't get hired cuz of criminal history(not felon/only jail).WHAT should I do? How can I get a chance ?
I have experience in Food&Beverage as a cook & management/supervisor/lead positions. I've also done some retail/cashier/sales. A couple of my past employers have gone out of bussiness, ...

Can my employer call my other employer to asked if work that day.? i have dr excuse but want me to go to work?
now they took me off for the whole week i was just excuse for two days
i have a high blood presure it seem like they don't believe me.my boss
is asking everone if i work my other job ...

If you quit your job as opposed to being laid off or fired?
are you still eligible for cobra for a year through that employer?...

Is it legal to use email as a timeclock at work?
my new boss uses the email as a timecard. is this legal. i am actually early and there is no reason to do this or to my collegues and we are the only dept who does it. he is a micro manager and he ...

What are some possible careers in criminal justice?
I am currently going to community college wanting to transfer to CSULB I'm majoring in Criminal Justice, any possible career ideas for this major?...

Previous employer did not show up to hearing do I win?
I brought to witness that are employess there to support my case and my previous employer did not show up do I have a good chance of winning, I live in California?...

Unemployment appeal. Lawyers?
I know this is quite long, and I apologize. But I think all this info is necessary.

-My father works for a construction company, & applied for unemployment benefits due to a lack of ...

How can i get medical assistance for my daughter, thru the state, without reporting my b/f income?
my daughter came to live with us, last year, and i was pregnant, so i was able to get medical assistance for myself, and her, with out reporting my b/f income becuz he's usually only home on the ...

Job outlook for paralegal?
i've heard paralegal is a good job in a failing economy because their services don't necessarily depend on the success of the economy since in a good economy people are starting new ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links