Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How long can an employee work you with no break or lunch.?
Find answers to your legal question.

How long can an employee work you with no break or lunch.?

insomniac
Rating
I think it depends on the state. I do know that in my state you are required to have a break every four hours, and most places will give you a short break every two hours. My last job was hell and they often worked those of us in management for 9 hours with no break, or gave us only one break just an hour into the shift when it wasn't needed.

redvelvetflames4ever
All depends on the State and/Country you are in. For example in NYS a minimum of 30 minutes is to be given after 6 consecutive hours of work. Alot of us would be more helpful if we knew what State or Country you are in.

ZURDITA
Rating
What does it say in your company's office guidelines? Ask for a copy and READ ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS......

roxxybean
Rating
depends on the country. in south africa you are allowed a one hour break per eight hour shift. however, an employer and employee may conclude an agreement other than this, but the employee must have at least a half hour break per eight hours.

bassbonebaby
four hours according to federal law.

keeprockin
Rating
if your working more than 6hrs,then you HAVE to have a minimum of 20 mins,taken during the shift,not before or at the end. I don't think part-time as the same protection though

jimobasa
Rating
Normally 4 hours but most conscientious employees would occasionally work for longer if there was a deadline to meet

Joey
Rating
by federal law,you are entiltled to a break/lunch after 4 hours. most places give 2 -15 min breaks and 1/2 hour lunch. it depends. but you should at least get a 1/2 hour for lunch as required by law

lyricsop
An employer cannot work you more than 4 hours without a break. And, its 30 minutes for every 4 hours. This is federal law. Minors get more, though i don't recall the specifics. Check the Department of Labor website.

May 1st bride!!
Rating
I've worked 13 hours straight with no break before... I think the only laws there are about breaks is that they're mandatory for minors

Dean *
no more whining. Get back to work!!!!

volcanoking
Depends upon the country in which employment is seeked. As in most countries, an employee can work for max 8 hours with 1 small break in middle. No employee can work more than 16 hours continuously per day. For women or children (above 14 and below 18), they cant work more than 12 hours per day.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My employer is ideal person. What is your comments?

Employers, be honest, would you hire someone that was on maternity leave?
If you interviewed a variety of people for an IT based job, assuming that they were the most competent, would you hire someone that told you they were on maternity leave or would if put you off?

My boss is saying that she doesnt have to pay me the minum wage cuz im still in high school is that legal?
she is saying she doesnt have to give us the minum wage increase that just went up to 6.55 she is keeping the student workers all at 6.00 an hour is this leagal at all i know its unfair but is it ...

Is a lawyer a great career choice?
I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was 11. (I'm sixteen). I have everything basically all planned out. If I try hard enough I know I can become a great one. However, I would like to hear from ...

What age can you get a proper job where you can get paid?
Because my friend got a job in the pet shop feeding the animals and paid. 's 12.

T...

10 POINTS!!!! Is it legal for your employer to deduct money from your paycheck?
UNDER TEXAS LAW:

lets say that at the beginning of a job the employer gives you the employee handbook to sign, meaning that you agree to the terms, and in that handbook it states that if ...

Legal to write you up for using more sick days??
I have 5 sick days a year to use at my job. I have gone over that amount....I have children. they get sick. I do too. He has given me a written warning for "attendance" I dont;' ...

Would you hire someone in this situation?
He wants the job and has the qualifactions you have seen his work and like what you see but he will need to take some ytime off soon after you hire him (about two weeks)for an operation and then ...

Getting caught using the net at work!?
I was on holiday last week & came back to my boss showing my his evidence of me using the net with all the times I logged in & all the YA questions I answered came up, I was so embarrassed &...

Can an employer restrict what you do on a paid break? Read on...?
My employer does not allow you to leave the premises on a paid break, this was fine before the smoking ban, however now you cannot smoke on the premises what can you do?!

Surely legally an ...

What is the best way to tell my employer that I'll be leaving for law school this summer?!?!?
Ok, I've been working as a file clerk at a law firm for 2 months now (you may have read my previous question). When they hired me, I didn't tell them about my intentions to go to law school,...

How do I explain a criminal record from 10 years ago to a potential employer?
It's a felony conviction for recklessly endangering safety while armed. I haven't been in trouble since August of 1997....

How much education is needed to be a Lawyer? Also to be a physician?
I am really trying to figure out a great career path for myself. I am still young but am getting a 4 year late start....

Can employers terminate without giving proof?

Does anyone know?
by law how long should you get for a lunch break if you work as a receptionist. I know joiners etc... are only entitled to 30mins but i thought people in offices etc.... were entitled to longer. Can ...

I was let go from my job because I said.......?
we need a union.

what do you think about that.

I live in the south and I am a healthcare worker....

How can i find someone if i only have an email if im not in the FBI?
this person scamed because apparently i was stupid. a person offered me a wierd job and i accepted and now that they job is done he refused to pay me and he moved out of state all the contact info i ...

I have lost my job .?
I have been told today that i have 3 months to find another job because they are stopping my particular hours which i have worked for the last 3 years (they have offered me hours i am unable to do). I...

In Missouri, can your employer fire you if they change your work schedule and you disagree with the change?

What's my legal position.?
I ordered a buffet from an outside caterer to be delivered today. Yesterday afternoon they rang and told me that although they are still doing the buffet, they don't have a driver to deliver it. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links