Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How long can an employer hold a paycheck?
Find answers to your legal question.

How long can an employer hold a paycheck?

I put in my two weeks notice and carried out my responsibilities for those two weeks. Now that I am gone, that employer wants me to tie up loose ends that he did not ask for during my last two weeks and he is holding my pay until I complete his requests. Is this legal?

thealphafemme
No it's not legal - per state law (not federal). Each state has their own requirements for how soon a final check must be paid, but no state is allowed to hold your check beyond the next regularly scheduled payday, period.

Most states will also fine an employer for EVERY day that they hold any monies owed to you.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/lastpaycheck.htm

You can go to the Department of Labor's website and find a link to your State DOL here:

http://www.dol.gov/esa/contacts/state_of.htm

leysarob
Rating
Generally you have to be paid on the regular pay date as scheduled. Your pay cannot be withheld legally. Contact your state's Department of Labor, wage and hour division.

EchosOfAngels
If you gave your two weeks and he was aware of it the whole time, like the date you are going to be gone etc then he has no right holding back your paycheck. If there is someone higher up in status then get in contact with that person and say if its not handed over you will take legal action.

Nikki
I had an employer do that to me. I reported them and I was told that if I didn't get me check they could have to pay up to 30 days at most for holding it to long.

coolrockboy380
No. The law differs slightly state to state. Generally, your final paycheck must be given to you on the normal day it would be paid if you were still working. Some states require that it be provided sooner.
You should politely inform your former employer that he is in violation of wage and hour laws, and you would like your paycheck immdiately. (If he needs a few hours to print the check, that would probably be OK.)
If he refuses you should consider your options. You can file a claim with the wage and hour division of the US Dept of labor. (Or your state department of labor.) Or, depending on the amount of the check, you can file a suit in small claims court. Or you can find a lawyer and file a suit in federal or state court. The law allows for penalties and legal fees to be awarded for refusal to properly pay wages.

Tapestry6
Rating
Call your state's AttorneyGeneral office.. its in the white pages under the name of your state. Any employer or business owner that would do something that low needs to be turned into the system.

DEE CON JESTED
Rating
Fuc k NO!

renosgirl2006
Rating
HELL NO! CONTACT THE DEPT OF LABOR AND FAST.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Felon question please help.?
if i shot a car with a bb gun when i was younger but the lady dropped the charges because of hail damage could i still join the marine corps or would i be a felon....

What can I do if my employer fired you cause your Dad had to be taken to the hospital?
Well my dad almost died and the doctors kept calling me to tell me about decisions i had to make and if i didn't make them they would but i had to make them so i had to go to the hospital i was ...

How do evade your nosy present employer from seeing your job search on the internet?
Specifically, the present employer can see the job searches on the job search sites and routinely looks. If he sees my name on there, I would most likely be fired on the spot. I am not happy, and ...

Is it legal for an employer to not pay for my break if I work a 6 hr shift? ?
My employer said that I was allowed a 15 min break during a six hour shift, I read the employee handbook and it said the same thing... I still think it's illegal....

Working at Tesco. Is this legal or even possible?
Hey so I'm going to get a part time job at Tesco (a huge supermarket chain in the UK) and was wandering if it were possible to put unwanted clubcard points on my own clubcard when working at the ...

Is there much point declaring a minor criminal conviction?
when going 4 a job , surely most employers are never gonna check anyways (UK)...

I broke my hip and now my job wants to fire me. Is this legal?

Jobs for an ex-offender in Salt Lake City?
Do you folks have any recommendation of where an ex offender can seek employment in SLC, Utah? Are there companies or agencies who assist an otherwise ideal employee? I have a third degree felony ...

Can you be sacked from work if you hand in a sick note?
can you be sacked if you are ill and hand in a sick note from your doctor for 2 weeks the company I work for are short staffed I asked for a weeks holiday because I wasn't well they said no I ...

Need help calling an employer?
i need to call an employer at a golf shop to see if i got the job what should i say?...

I had to take a random drug test for my job i wasnt sure if i would pass...?
so i drank one of those cleansing drinks and when i went for the drug test my urine was green... can they give me a automatic failure?
i passed a home drug test the night before but they will ...

NVQ training.?
Our employers,a care home establishment has got a government grant to train all their employees for NVQ2 Health and Social Care.In our new contract it states,if we leave their employment within 2 ...

What is the most drastic career jump you have made?
ie. from Paralegal to Sales Rep
Additional Details
Please also include any related stories that might interest, enrage or humor your readers....

I lost my social & birth certificate, so how do i go about proving im eligible for employment if im under 18?
i'm trying to get a job, but i just moved and i cant find my social security card or birth certificate.i'm under 18 and i have no idea how/where to get either a us citizen id card or id ...

Is it legal to make me work on weekends and nights for my regular job?

Job :Can a person in India (an Indian)....read details..?
1) Can a person in India (an Indian) have a job in a private sector/institution/office and another job in government/public sector/institution/office at the same time (if he/she can manage to have ...

Minimum wage job?
i've been workin a place for 5 yrs.. have not had a raise.. is this against the law.. i don't no where to look on the web here.. and the only reason i contenue to work there is because.. he ...

Do I have any legal recourse?
I was a former District Manager for a convenience store chain and was terminated for various so called peformance reasons. I feel that these reasons were false. The District Manager that replaced ...

My manager looked up employee mug shots posted some and allowed employees to look at them. Any legal limits?
This was all done in the restaurant where I work during business hours. He was told to stop because it made the employees uncomfortable, me in particular. He continued and pulled up several employees ...

For all of you HR guru's out there; How would you deal with an employee who is getting blamed for their bosses
incompetence? I am currently in a situation where my boss is emailing me and verbally giving instructions. When I follow them and something changes, he denies giving them. He will tell me to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links