Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How many hours can a 17 year old work by law??
Find answers to your legal question.

How many hours can a 17 year old work by law??

is there a max by law?? thankyou x

paul m
Rating
dont think there is a law specific to 17 year olds, but dont forget the eu-legislated maximum 48 hour week

Rainbow Bob
I think it's just the legislation for adults which state that ou can't do over 48 hours in one week....

CHARLOTTE B
i work 40 hours a month and i do overtime aswell but there is a limit for 16 years old but i dont think theres a limit for 17 yr olds

EricaVee
I think it depends on the state you live in. It should be on your state's government website.

Keith
According to the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 there are no hour restrictions for 16, 17 year olds only in the type of jobs they can do such as no hazardous jobs.

simplyme_ca
Rating
AM NOT SURE IF ALL STATES BUT I KNOW IN MANY ITS 20HR/WK

BY LAW, BUT SOME EMPLOYEERS MIGHT LET IT SLIDE

k
The second you leave school at 16, everyone can work a maximum of 48 hours a week.

tia b

Stephen A
Rating
It is about 37 to 40 hours a week , but if overtime is given then more hours may be worked

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Hi I am a library assistant and was caught reading a book while I was shelving..?
Do you think that pose a threat to my career/ what should I say to defend myself if I get complaints?

Do you think it's ok to do that for my job?...

Is it illegal to fire someone for violating company policy if it involves a lunch break?
Company policy dictates lunch period for all office employees is a 1hr unpaid lunch starting at 11:30 and a return no later than 1pm. You have one employee who takes lunch from 1pm - 2pm. This person ...

Is it legal for my employer to withold my paycheck because they do not have the funds to pay me?
I'm only 17 and it is a part-time job at a non-profit, county-owned theater. I don't know how that effects the situation and the laws or entails but it has gotten rather annoying. My ...

I really want to find a job....will anyone hire a freshman who has good grades?
i REALLY need one for family!!...

Does anyone that has narcolepsy able to claim disability living allowance?
i recently tried to claim dla as i have narcolepsy and was refused was wondering if anyone else who has this life-long condition has been able to claim or what benefits i am entitled to ....

If I resign from my job, can i collect unemployment?

I need legal advice after being grabbed and harassed by a customer?
There is a customer who shops where I work. On 1 occassion, he grabbed my shirt to look at the tattoo on my back, he has mimicked squeezing my breasts and grabbing my buttocks. Management "...

Can an employer change your job description? What if they put something on it you don't agree to?

Can your employer fire you after a background check?

Am i entitled to holiday pay after being dismissed from my job?
After working for the same company for the last 3 years, would i be entitled to any holiday pay which i haven't used this year, bearing in mind i have now been dismissed from this job?...

Doing something not in job description?
Hi, I work at a retail store similar to walmart. My job is to do inventories and restock the shelves. The store has a separate receiving team, but sometimes I am told to unload the trucks. Can I ...

Should I tell my boss I'm planning on leaving?
My boss & I have a pretty good relationship. At least I think we do. That could change maybe if I told him that I'm sending my resume to firms outside of New York & planning to leave in ...

If i have never had a job can i still write a resume?
I babysit all the time and i cook and clean everyday does that do any good?...

I made a couple of mistakes when I was younger but feel that I deserve another chance.?
I have two felony convictions from Arizona in 1998 and 2003 and unfortunately Arizona wont allow you to get your record expunged. Since then I have completely changed my life around. I decided to go ...

Can an employer not accept an immediate resignation?
if i'm getting tired of the job and wants to take a rest and decides to quit work can my boss reject my resignation?...

In Indiana, is it legal for my employer to withhold my paycheck for forgetting to sign my timecard?
Our county auditor withheld my paycheck because I had not had a chance to take time off from work at the Sheriff's Dept to go sign my timecard from two weeks ago. Everyone else in the ...

I need to know if a person draws workmans comp can you draw unemployment from that job in kentucky??

I gave a 2 week notice to my employer. The next day the employer told me not to come back.Am I owed any $$?
I gave my employer a 2 week notice because I was offered a better paying job. The next day my employer contacted me and told me that I "did not have to return" to work because I had ...

I am 17 and in need of a job, any suggestions? PLZ!!!?
I have applied to various places and no one has hired me I think it might be because I am 17 and have never had a job. If anyone knows anyone who is hiring or anywhere where I might apply please let ...

How long does a 1st written warning last?
I'm confused by information on the ACAS website. It states that a first written warning shuld only remain on ones person file foor six months BUT it also states that if one receives a written ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links