Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How many hours can an employer legally work you in a 24 hour period?
Find answers to your legal question.

How many hours can an employer legally work you in a 24 hour period?

My friend works for a company, and there working 17 hours right now which includes lunch. There is only 7hrs in between shifts before they go back to work again.

William K
So long as the proper pay is given, there is no limit. I have worked as much as 36 hours straight before. I know nurses who regularly work a 48 hour shift.

michr
Rating
in the US under federal laws there are no limits except for a few jobs in a few industries such as transportation, mining and health-care.

there are a FEW states that require time off between shifts and a couple that require one day off in seven. these states are the exceptions.

if you want a definitive answer edit the question but.....
most employers know what laws apply to them and do not normally make a habit of breaking them.

Buddy
Rating
I worked 18 hour days for 2 years and I had a job that if the next person didn't show up I had to continue working till some one replace me. Some times that didn't happen and I would work 3 shifts in a row. Some one I worked with called the labor board and there is nothing that could be done about it. I personally didn't have a problem with it. I wanted to retire before I was 50 and I did this year at the age of 48. But I worked my a** off for it and now it has paid off. I'm enjoying life with my wife who has retired at 48 also.
So I think it depends on what you want in life, I wanted a home for my family I married at 18 and started having kids at 19 and we had 6. It was rough when I was working these hours but it all worked out. And all my 6 kids are the same way 5 of the 6 have built their own homes and the 6th one has just brought her land to do the same thing. But their all working for it and working hard. They want the same thing as me and their mother retire early.

forjj
Rating
Think of all the overtime they are getting. I would be happy to have any job right now, and certainly wouldn't rock the boat by complaining about working too many hours.

bob and dolly k
there is no limit unless your job involves driving,you need 8 hrs
between shifts. you can't work more than 16 hrs in a 24 hr period.

rbsilveous
You need to check with the Labor Relations Board of whatever state you are in question about.
This should help solve your dilemma.

Eugene D
It varies from state to state. My employer has a 12 hour limit.

pearljamgrl21
Rating
i think it actually varys from state to state
my employer wont let us do more then 12 but thats just them

Cubs Girl
Rating
There is no time limit, they just need to pay for time worked. There is a 7th day rest period that companies have to abide by. As far as hours, as long as you are over 18 there is no restrictions on that unless you are a union worker.

Shelter advocate
I work different night and weekend shifts at a DV shelter. Some nights, I work 16 hours, from 4pm to 8am and I get paid for the full 16 hours. We have a room there if we get to go to sleep. Some weekends or holidays are 24 hour shifts, but we only get paid for 16 of those hours. We are required to answer the hotline phone at all hours, and be available to residents at all hours. Is this legal for them to subtract 8 hours on our 24 hour shift? None of the advocates have ever gotten 8 hours of sleep on any of the 24 hour shifts, and since we are required to be there, this doesn't seem right. We often get calls in the middle of the night or have someone that needs supplies or meds and stays up late. We can't even set the alarm to keep everyone inside until 11pm at the earliest and have to email reports NLT 6:30 am. Often we have to take clients somewhere early in the morning or pick them up later at night. Since we can't leave to go home, shouldn't we be paid for the full shift?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I write up a contract myself?
Is it possible for me to write up a legal contract myself that would be recognised in a court of law without the use of a lawyer? If so what needs to be in the contract? And does it cost any money?...

How do you know if your job qualify you for unemployment?
what to look for in your check subs?

If you were hired as a temp, would you still receive unemployment benefits?...

What is the legal age to work part time in a music shop in the summer?
I live in the UK and in desparate need of cash.

What is the age for working part-time in a music shop?
Additional Details
16 is full time. You can do a papaer round at 10.

Would you omit a job on your resume?
4 yrs ago I was offered and accepted a job in another state. It all happened so fast. Within 2 wks I moved from my home to the new state, started the job, things did not work out & within 3 ...

Is it legal for a company to squash your overtime? the policy states anything over 40hrs pays time and a half.
if any employee has OT then the management will arrange for you to take longer lunches or leave early,etc. the employees stay over only because the managers tell you what needs done before you leave. ...

Employee Performance Monitoring by CCTV. Is this legal?
My employer is currently in the process of having a CCTV system installed. We the employees have been informed that the system is going to be installed to make sure that we are working and doing our ...

Can you sue the state if they take 80% of earnings for child support?
My friend cant put gas in his car pay his rent pay his utilitys cause he recently lost one of his jobs he haves to have to to struggle to get bye and the other job he has they take 80% of ...

Is it better to resign from a job through a letter or in person?

Can owner force us to take vacation when he closes his company?
Company closes every year for a week at years end. Owner sent out a memo stating that we MUST take 5 days out of our vacation time during the week the company closes. I have worked in this company ...

Can a person with dementia sign legal documents?

Anyone over 50 having trouble finding employment in America?

Additional Details
Considering the feedback to this question, let me expand on the reasons for asking it. I was laid off from two jobs in a row due to down-sizing and company out-...

Should My landlord reimburse me?
My apartment complex is adding two additional buildings to our complex the last couple of weeks. The construction company there hired has left a bunch of nails in our parking lot and within a weeks ...

Do i have a wrongful termination case? ?
I was recently fired( my boss said we're "letting you go" as of this morning) for not "meshing well" and being "unpleasant to work with"(i was having a hard time ...

Redundancy in the UK?
I work for a very large care home provider who has recently told us that the care home I work in is due to be closed at the end of September. We were all promised positions in the two remaining homes ...

Is it legal for a company to have a policy of not hiring people with felony records. ?
I applied with a company and disclosed my record prior to the interview. After going through the interview process and background check i was told that they dont hire anyone with a felony record and ...

Do employers really care about cover letters?

What to do if some people from my work try to fire me and they do some unhonest stuff for this?
What to do if some people from my work try to fire me and they do some unhonest stuff for this, like decide all to say to my manager that I did something wrong and hope he will fire me because its ...

If you was in a car accident, and you was not able to attend your job can your employer fire you ?

A question about laywers and their salary...?
People always had the impression that lawyers make a lot of money. Just be any type of lawyer, you'll be able to live comfortably. But when I saw a law grad's average salary it's low....

Do criminal invesitgators or lawyers make money?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links