Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How old do you have to be to get a summer job in California?
Find answers to your legal question.

I want a summer job and im 14 1/2 yrs old.
Can I ? yes or no
if no when?

michr
Sorry it took so long to answer...had to report all these spammers first.

14, there are limits on what jobs and when you can work as well as the total number of hours per week but it is legal to do almost any job that is not considered hazardous and the employer will hire you.

For info about the jobs you can do, hours you can work, how to obtain a California Minor Work Permit and other useful facts got to:
http://www.youthrules.dol.gov
US Department of Labor
YouthRules!
OR
http://www.dir.ca.gov/DLSE/childLaborPamphlet2000.html
State of California
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
CHILD LABOR LAWS

Remember:
Most businesses are individually owned and operated so it is the owner’s policy and past experience with minors that will determine if they will hire you. Apply everywhere you can, the worse that can happen is they don't hire you.

In every state without a permit you can:
Work in a business owned or operated by your parents
Deliver newspapers/periodicals
Work as an actor/ess in radio, TV or the theater
Caddy at a public course
Work as an umpire/referee in a municipal league
Work on a private farm picking and/or selling fruits and vegetables
Do casual labor (work for an individual in their home) such as pet-sitting, baby-sitting, running errands, tutoring, and yard-work etcetera...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Will I be Denied unemployment?
Live in NYS and have just lost my job. The story goes (to try to make it as short as possible) my sister-in-law bought my husband and i plane tickets to come visit her for the weekend. i gave my work ...

Lawyer/Paralegal Question?
So I am a freshman at a public 4 year university. It's actually like 2nd or 3rd in the state and is very competitive to get into. I always did well in hs and got a 26 on my act so i was expected ...

Are open-ended contracts legal (California)?
If I have an ongoing contract (no expiration date) to provide services to a company and the contract can only be terminated for cause, and cause is defined clearly in the contract, is this legal? H...

Worked on Good Friday, can anyone explain?
the "opt out option' for me. My boss who's new to management didn't know anything about it....

I need legal help regarding a starting a coffee shop in a school?
I need help because some friends and I came up with a business plan to start up a coffee shop in the school we go to. It seems as though we made a mistake but i am not educated enough in the legal ...

Can i have unemployment transferred to another state?
can I have my unemployment transferred to another state?...

What kind of job can you get with a B.S. in Government with a Emphasis on Legal Studies?

Time and a half question? bank holiday monday?
I usually recieve Ł4.90 an hour but if i work tomorrow how much money will i get an hour (its time and a half) ?

T...

What Happens If You Can't Get Unemployment And You Can't Get A Job in New Jersey?

Legal help please! aw its hard to make 20 letters?
Ok i started talking to this guy over aim hes 26 and he pretty much told me that if i didnt be his gf online he was going to kill him self so i said yes a few weeks went by and he kept saying he was ...

What is the Starting Pay for a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
How much will a person, just out of law school, make in a big city law firm as a Criminal Defense Attorney. Let's say Washington, DC or Boston, MA. Please answer only if you are a lawyer or have ...

Is it legal to keep bees in Washington DC?
In some cities it's illegal.
I can't find anything about in using google.
Additional Details
Thanks for the SPAM Deb,
I'm thinking about them for a HOBBY.......

Dominick's drug-free?
i am planning to work at Dominick's, but it says I should be drug-free.
I smoke. can smoking be a problem? is smoking a kind of drug??...

Which supervisor to put on my application?
I have a program manager that treats her employees like crap and is always contradicting herself. Well I got fed up and started looking for new jobs which required a thorough background check. A few ...

I'm a felon (OWI'S) what type of job can I get?
I have only worked at a manufacturing job since I got home. scared of the rejection I may encounter....

Lying about unemployment...?
Can someone get into trouble if theyre working, being paid in cash, and then goes and lies to the unemployment office about how they arent able to work when they are 5 days a week?...

What is the job of a court reciever?

What is the difference between indefinate suspension and firing an employee?
My boss tells employees to look for another job whenever she feels she has been challenged or simply does not like that employee. most do quit, but a few try to work through the problems.
She ...

What are the legal reasons for an employer to dismiss an employee?
Using a disciplinary procedure?

I just need a list and maybe a bit of explanation, thank you!...

Where can i get information and counseling on the legal rights of the disabled in India?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links