Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

How should I handle a co-worker who threatened me with violence?
Find answers to your legal question.

How should I handle a co-worker who threatened me with violence?

Long story short I had a problem with another co-worker last week refusing to do his job. I called my other co-worker as this was the second time he has done this too me. He tells me to go to my boss, I wanted to handle it without that but since that was his advice I did.

After the phone call the co-worker decided to do part of what he was suppose to do but he was not going to stay after taping the other and expected me to finish it. I told my boss and he called the co-worker the next day with me there and reminded him what his hours were and he was to tape whatever he was told.

As far as I was concerned end of story. Well Saturday I call the Co-worker who told me to go ahead and tell the boss. I was going to see if he knew someone I could hire to help me move. Well he starts cussing me out and accusing me of lying and a bunch of crap and how he is going to kick my a**. So I call my boss and he calls and it's all over the other co-worker.
My boss did nothing about the threat.

nite_angelica
Hmm... My guess would be he's not going to try to kick your *** or he wouldn't just be saying it when you called him.

If you're worried, then I'd go to your boss again and if you get no satisfaction then go to their boss. You could also call the police and fill out a report, but no action will be taken if all he is doing is running his mouth. I know from an experience with an old abusive boyfriend that..... hey, it's ok if he calls and SAYS he's going to kill you, but we can't do anything about it until he actually tries.

That is not to scare you - just to give you an idea of how the police work with situatuions like that. At least you would have a record of contacting the police if he ever assualted you or did any type of property damage.

Good luck.

Monica
Rating
So, Unfortunate, but this does happen from time to time to employees. I would make a police report. Once the report has been made and cleared I would get a copy and give to my supervisor. Then maybe, he will take you seriously.

In the mean time. Do your job and don't worry about what the other person is doing. If you get to a stopping point where you can not do your job because someone else has not done theirs, then point that out to your supervisor at that time. Good luck! (Smile) It's going to be alright....

hr4me
If this conversation took place outside of work on your own time, then you need to proceed with this as a civil manner. You can put your H.R. department on notice but make sure you clarify to them that it took place outside of work, but that you were threatened by him with violence.

Your choice if you want to go to the police and file a complaint or report against him.

-NOBAMA-
Rating
Call the police, not your boss. But first bring a tape recorder the next time you meet that guy. Good luck!

my2cents
In this case, it seems he was venting. If he was some stranger on the street, it would be different -but if a co-worker made my day at work a pain and then calls me up at home or on my cell for a friggin favor, I'd tell him where to stick it!

Get over it. You tattled and he's pissed. What the heck did you expect? You go to the boss and then reach out to him for a favor? Duh!

smiling_freds_biz_info
Pick your after-work friends more selectively?

david b
First of all I know nothing about the power structure at your job, as far as who is over your boss. Also I don't know if standing up for yourself will get you fired. At my job I feel my boss would certainly have my back. So, try this depending on how you think it will play out at your job.Firmly tell your boss all that has gone on, and about the physical threats and that you demand action be taken. Tell your boss that you want, it to be documented, and make it very clear that you will follow up, and if not handeled you are going straight to someone higher up, until it is resolved. Tell your boss that you want it documented, and ON the record. I had a boss, that would pull us aside like friends, and be like ok lets all try to get along. This doesnt work for me. I want documented proof that this person was called out, and action was taken, then the next time you do it again,and again. Until there is a bonafide evidence that shows there behaviour. This is so there is hard evidence to fire that person, or protect you in a future altercation.

berthiaumechristopher
Rating
I'd get myself a taser, if I didn't know any martial arts, but I do know martial arts, so I don't need any taser. Anyway, if I needed a taser, then I would get one and stun him when nobody is looking. Then break my foot off in his a**. Then, I would give him a little lecture about how it is not wise to F with people like me. Otherwise, next time, no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Confront a bully. Otherwise, he will continue to pick on you. For some people, confrontation and/or violence is the only language they understand.

spiritwalker
Rating
the boss can not do anything about a threat, he has to act on proof. Threats are just that. If this person lays a finger on you, then the boss can fire him.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How many hours should your employer expect you to work consecutively?
I work for a hotel as a front desk clerk. The manager scheduled me to work nine days in a row. When I confronted him about this he said it was in two different pay periods so he could do this. He ...

Is it legal for a company not to pay a full time employee when they are off work sick?

CIA and FBI question (employment)?
I am in the army, nothing like a combat MOS but just finance. I started on a criminal justice degree, and maybe would like to finish it. My question is working for either one, will you spend a lot of ...

Daily Hours?
What is the maximum allowable daily hours that a company work you? And is there a law that against working 80+ hours a week.

I am in the Security industry if that helps best answer my ...

Is it legal in massachusetts to make an employee have two different time cards?
The employer for both jobs is the same, and both jobs give out equal pay. The reason for two timecards is to prevent overtime if the hours of the two separate jobs were totaled each ...

Constructive dismissal local council
I have worked for a local council temporary for over 5 years I have in that time received continuos harrassment about leave time down to basic jealousy Race remards about my Gf I have reported this ...

What should I do if my former boss lied to unemployment about my dishcarge and now I have a phone hearing next
How do I handle my former boss's lying to unemployment when I am trying to get my money for being laid off. How do I handle him telling them I was "let go" for misconduct which is not ...

Are the countries like Usa,australia,Canada really facing shortage of skilled legal workers?
Are the indian law graduates being recruited abroad to fullfill those positions?...

Hi. Does anyone know how much doctors, lawyers and professors get paid?
I have always been dying to know how much professionals get paid such as doctors, attorneys and college professors. Of course it depends on the region, their qualification and the place they work at, ...

I'm a 18year old college freshmen at a 4year school and want to be a legal secratary?
to work my way through school. my real major is political science. do i really need any formal training to be a legal secretary for now? and how much does it pay?...

Convicted felon with a Class A license, need help finding a trucking Co. that will hire me?
My name is Ernesto Patricio, I graduted from a trucking school back on 05/30/2008, So now i have my class A license with my Doubles & Triples & Tankers Endorsments, but i cant find employment ...

If I resigned from a company 3 years ago?
I was the HR mgr., I am now named in a law suit by someone who was terminated after I left, am I obligated in someway to testify for the company?

I know I will need to contact the attorney ...

What is the minimum wage for minors in NJ?
My 15 year old neice is working in East Orange NJ and she's making $5.85 an hour but my other neice is making $7.15 an hour. Is my other neice getting ripped off? I know minimum wave is $7.15 ...

How can i answer the bull$hit questions i get asked at a security job interview?
How am i ever gona get a job, im the worst person ever when it comes 2 answer job interview questions. I am clinically depressed becuase of ...

Minimum overtime pay? Is there a minimum amount of time people should be paid for working on their days off?
I live 1.5 hours from work. If I have to travel, basically 3 hours to do 1 hour of overtime, I actually lost money coming to work, not to mention half of my day. Are there laws in California ...

Am a lawyer.Can anybody find briefs for me.Expecially on legal advice.Thanks.?

Wrongful Termination?
So my dad has been working for this company for 15 years in the logistics department. About a month ago a driver from their biggest client came over demanding that his truck be loaded ASAP. My dad ...

How do find a lawer that will do a hostile work place harrasment suit?
worked for this comp for 34 yrs, 8 yrs ago I was asked to go into another dept, almost from day 1 I was the subject of verble, physical abuse, the last 2 incidents: #1 I was shoved so hard my head ...

Mandatory training?
I got to work last night and,me and my colleague noticed there were training days for us and a few more(we always go to them).They are scheduled for Monday and Tuesday,this coming week(all day 9-5.I ...

Pa labor law question?
My husband is currently working at a jon where they held back his first two weeks. He's getting ready to start a new job and I've been told that if he quits his current job with no notice, ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links