Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

I am being accused of stealing and my boss thinks it's no big deal.?
Find answers to your legal question.

I am being accused of stealing and my boss thinks it's no big deal.?

I work for an organization that receives both local and state assistance. My job is to complete work orders at one of the properties they own and manage. This property is for the elderly and disabled. Just recently (last week) I was told that one of the residents believes I took some of his belongs during my completion of a work order in his apartment. I spoke with my boss and told her that I did not like being accused of false accusations. This week the man told other residents. And again I told my boss and said she needed to call HR and ask them how to handle this. My job requires that I be a trusting employee. HR came back and said that I needed to have "tough skin" if I wanted to continue in this position. I enjoy my job and want to continue in it. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what steps I need to take other than to go to my boss and HR.

Paul in San Diego
Rating
What HR meant was that this kind of treatment is common in your line of work (getting accused by demented old people that you stole something from them). They probably get that complaint all the time and it's never turned out to be true. They're just saying that, if you have a personal problem with hearing those kinds of lies about you that your boss knows are lies, then perhaps you should look into working at a different job. Because that comes with the territory with this one.

M L
I don't know what the HR person means by have a tougher skin, but if they are satisfied that the accusations are unfounded then you should be too. You can't prevent people from saying false things against you. I guess you could sue the individual who accused you for slander, but what do you think you will get in terms of compensation? The reputation you need to worry about is that with your employer so don't worry if some old people are paranoid or lost something and automatically assumed someone must have taken it. Good luck.

Michael K
Rating
If your not stealing I wouldn't worry about it. but if posible bring a coworker or witness whenever you have to work in his apartment in the future.
The elderly and disabled are used to being taken advantage of and are suspicious of anyone new coming into their home or living area. some make accusations for attention others misplace things and figure that the last person through the door must have stole it and some do it to get back and get you in trouble for some precieved wrong you have done them.[. In any case your HR person is right, you HAVE to have a "tough skin" in your line of work. My wife has at an assisted living center for the elderly for the last ten years. she has been accused of stealing, been called every name in the book, been urinated, spit, pooped and vomited on. she has been threatened and hit on. This line of work isnt for everyone. I'm not sure if I could take the abuse that these people put you through without snapping myself.

Good Luck

Texas granny turtle
My husband is over 80+ school custodian employees. He spends half time on situations like this. 90 % time it is resolved. If actual doubt is evident then a camera or test on their honesty is set up. If your bosses are not concerned then try to continue your duties best as can. You do have right to as if this is in your HR file and a copy for yourself. Elderly and disabled do get targeted a lot so they become paranoid. Good Luck.

Sharon T
I would put it in writing, keeping it factual and brief. Then I would mail the letter of explanation to HR so it will be placed in your file.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I need a letter for my job please look?
i have a problem at work. i work as a home attendance. supposly $700 dollers are missing. i need to write a letter to my supervisor stating that i did not take anything or saw that amount of money ...

Can I get workman's compensation if my boss fails to file a report and then fires me a week later?
I hurt my back at work. I reported it to my supervisor who told me he would file a report in the morning when the HR office opened. I worked night shifts. I continued to work for three days in pain ...

Corporate Paralegal Courses?
Does anyone know where I can study a corporate paralegal course at home? I have found courses that focus more on company work but its more oil and gas I'm looking for....

Can a person with no legal training do volunteer work at a law firm such as helping with office work?

How do I get a job when my past employment is very uninspiring?
I am a recovering alcoholic that has been sober for over 7 years. My past is checkered to say the least. Since I have been sober I earned an associates degree and a B.A. in Chemistry. When I use my ...

How can I go about suing Itt Tech?
When I first went to Itt Tech both my parents , my husband and his parents were told that our credits would transfer to any college of our choice but now after graduating nothing transfers and my ...

Legally, where do I stand with my job as a Care Assistant?
I started a job on friday as a night care assistant. I am contracted to 3x10hr shifts.
On my first night at the home I was counted in the numbers, there was me and one other carer for 30 ...

In CA, Is it legal to prohibit employee not to work for its client after quit in 2 yrs?
because I am a contractor , my company said I can't go to its client to work after terimination in 2 years. is it legal in CA?...

Will a dismissed petty theft charge (no conviction) prevent me from a career in advertising?
What about education and teaching?

It happened two years ago when I was 18....

What are the best degrees/certifications to pursue if I want to be a successful Corporate Attorney?
I am planning on getting my JD and I want to practice corporate law. Would it be helpful to either get my undergrad in business, or economics, or some other kind of program. Are there any kinds of ...

Is it legal for management to change an employees reported tips without telling them?

Additional Details
Tips are getting changed before it goes to payroll. Management is actually changing the amount of tips employees are reporting. So to the accountant it looks like ...

Would fluent spanish be helpful in a job in law?
I want to learn spanish but would it be helpful in a job such as a legal secretary? if not what job in law would it be helpful in?...

Chances of winning appeal?
ok i know someone who was arrested and charged with 14 counts of something and like 6 of those charges are for harrasment they say they found the person guilty of all charges and im appealing the ...

What Makes you interested in a job fair.?
WHAT MAKES YOU SAY "I M GOING TO THAT BOOTH" OTHER THAN THE OBVIOUS (JOBS)....

I am being sued by a former employer. ?
I was a mortgage broker and a client i did a loan for threatened to sue my former employer after I had already quit. To avoid a state audit, he paid out $10K to the client and now has served me ...

Please help on job application question?
I found a good job opportunity and the company wish to hire me. The problem is, they require BS degree which I don't have one. Can I "pretend" to have one? If I make a certificate ...

Nursing job question: Can someone be suspended or fired for?
raising their voice

and refusing to come in to fill out paperwork that another shift should have completed?
Additional Details
It's not me. My friend did something I ...

What can I do with a Legal Secretary/Assistant Associates Degree?
please read the whole thing, as it all pertains to my question

I am due to graduate in November with an Associates in Specialized Business degree. The major when I started was called Legal ...

Can my wife work at another job while on short-term disability?
To make a long story short...my wife already has a lower back problem and we are expected our first child. The doctor put her on a weight restriction due to her back. She is a mail room clerk at ...

How can I become a certified paralegal?
I've been a legal assistant for about 10 years but I am knowledgable and qualified enough to be a paralegal. I graduated high school but never attended college. I'd like to become a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links