Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

I do have a right to see my personnel files or anything my manager has on file about me correct?
Find answers to your legal question.

I do have a right to see my personnel files or anything my manager has on file about me correct?

Is there anyone out there that knows about this? I'm in hot water at work and it seems my company is looking for ways to get rid of me 'cause I went out on work stress - and I'm now back. I'm still seeking medical care so I think that might be the only thing saving me right now. HELP!

misty m
Look up the Family Medical Leave Act. It may apply to your situation.

redvelvetflames4ever
Actually, there are many states that have laws giving current employees -- and former employees -- access to their own personnel files. However, the extent of access provided varies from state to state. Typically, if your state allows employees to see their files, you can insist that you or another supervisor be present to make sure nothing is taken, added, or changed. Some state laws allow employees to obtain copies of items in their files, but not necessarily all items. For example, a law may limit the employee's access to only copies of documents that he or she has signed, such as a job application. If the employee is entitled to a copy of an item in the file the usual procedure should be the HR person or supervisor makes the copy for them and not the employee. Also, they won't have to let the employe view sensitive items such as information assembled for a criminal investigation, reference letters, and information that might violate the privacy of other people.

To find out if your state has such a law(s) contact your State Department of Labor. I would have been happy to let you know, but you do not state where you reside. I hope this helps.

beez
Rating
It's crazy, but our own personnel and medical records are kept from us, although a lot of other people see them.

Michelle B
It varies by state, but for the most part the only way you can view the contents of your personnel file is if you contact the main Human Resource Office - in writing - and make a request. As a manager, I am not allowed to show anyone the contents of their file unless corporate gives me written authorization to do so.

Inquisitive
It is the only thing saving you right now. If you sense that they are putting undue stress upon you, and constantly looking for mistakes, then you should start keeping a log yourself. Misty M is right, you should look up the Family Leave Act laws, and then once you have a clear understanding of the laws that protect you, you should make an appointment with HR and let them know that you feel there is pressure from within to work you out of the company, and you know that there are specific events occurring to accomplish this. Ask them how they think they can make this work, and if your illness is being held against you? Bring the company behavior into the light. Let them know this is an official meeting that you would like noted by HR. You may also want to let them know that you are keeping a journal for your own protection as well.

Mel
Rating
Depending on where you live, you are generally entitled to review documents you signed as well as performance documentation and disciplinary actions.

The larger issue is that of retaliatory action. It IS illegal for a company to retaliate against an employee who files a work comp claim and/or takes a protected leave such as a worker's comp leave. Check here for info on retaliation, wrongful termination, protected leaves, etc. - there should be a link to your state site: www.dol.gov. You may also want to check www.eeoc.gov.

Good luck.

hr4me
Rating
You need to check the laws for your state as to your rights to see contents of your personnel file. Most states have the law that you are entitled to see all documents in your personnel file, and can have a copy of any documents you signed. If she/he has a separate file on you that they keep that is not part of your personnel file and you are not entitled to see her/his personal file.

Make sure you have complied with all policies concerning leaves of absence that your company has. (calling in, notifications of doctor appointments, filing time off requests in a timely manner). If your employer falls under the requirements for FMLA make sure you filed all documents for that. (50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius)

Fallenangel76
I suggest you start keeping track of emails, conversations, dates/times of any discussions you have had with your manager or HR about your medical situation. That way you have records if you think your employer is trying to get rid of you because of your illness, look into the American Disability Act and also Worker's Compensation. FMLA is if you are receiving medical treatment on your own (operation, care for a sick spouse/blood-related family member). Worker's compensation is work caused - stress and injury. As far as looking at your personnel file, you should be able to. If they won't let you, I think it's kind of fishy. However, you'll be supervised the whole time. You'll probably have an appointment with HR, where you can look at your personnel file with them sitting there. You are not allowed to remove or copy anything out of that file.

arinkleff
Rating
Welcome to capitalism. You really have no rights, unless you can hire an expensive lawyer.

MARK SEGMILLER
I am wondering if it is legal for my former Boss to add things too my file. I find it very damaging with the things the Owner or Boss has placed in my file.. Thank you for your time! MARK SEGMILLER..

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can you quit a job & still get unemployment?
I was a full time bookkeeper for 5 years then my boss hired a receiving person who has been there for 2 years who doesn't like me. My boss lets her do what she wants & now has cut me back ...

Do you have the right to take a 30 minute unpaid break?
In PA:
An employer allows employes to take a 30 min lunch break. But one employee dosnt finish her work on time so her boss tels her she can't take her break today. Is this a violation of ...

Problem at work?
So my friend was working and the boss came up to her and asked "what if someone at work asked you for a bj? she was like what?? he winked then left. he has done this to 3 girls at work now.

Can I be chosen for redundancy while on sick leave my employer has to make one person redundant?
its between me and 4 other people....

How does one deal with being fired on resume?

Am I wrong? or is my boss wrong?
My boss doesn't give anyone breaks. Weather it be 4 hours, or 8, we don't get breaks. If we work overtime, the hours roll into the next day, and he will send us home early the next day. He ...

My 14 yr old worked as a waitress in a pub today & has been offered future work - is this legal?

Should I have been paid any severance?
I was the Gen./Plant Manager until my company annouced that they were closing, 2 days later they let me go claiming my position was no longer needed. Am I owed any severance? I worked there for 12 ...

How many hours can a 17 year old work by law??
is there a max by law?? thankyou ...

My boss is holding me responsible for another employees theft...advice needed?
I worked for a car rental company as a rental agent...A former employee stole a rental car out of the service department in April and was not caught until the first week of August...(the car was sent ...

Is it illegal for a company to treat it workers badly?
My husband works for a company that cleans buildings. Everyday the people of the building that they clean come in and start cursing and yelling at my husband and the other employees for things that ...

Whats a good job for some one that has a Misdemeanor??
Here is the story, we all have friends we care about, and one of our friends messed up! This person stole from a recent employer. It is the first time he has gotten in trouble with the law, he’s a ...

Is there a law that dictates the lowest and highest temprature that an employee can be asked to work in?

Additional Details
In the UK..............

I want to get fired and draw unemployment in Mississippi?
I have been at my job for over 3 years and they just transfered 7 of us to new departments disreguarding there so called clock number policy. We have been mistreated and we have the worst jobs in the ...

I like my job but I feels as if I'm being used?
I have work for this company for 11 yrs and I have 3 different postions. This company works with mental health juveniles. I make less than $10.00 an hour and the job is getting more demanding. I ...

Where does a contract of employment stop?
My company has started disciplinary proceedings against me, for something that happened out side of my contracted working hours and not at work or in relation to anyone I work with. I was on my way ...

Does payday differ if you have Direct Deposit or receive a paper paycheck?
If a company's Payday every 2 weeks on Friday, is the company required to make sure every employee receives pay that day?

Most of the employees at my company have direct deposit. I ...

Employment law regarding dismissal?
i've just been fired from my job, on the basis that another employee said that i made a derogatory comment about the company in front of a customer.
now this apparently happened several ...

Can my company take legal action…?
My supervisor quit about one month ago, two weeks after she quit about 6 of us got together and went out for drink with her…we did not discus any work related information, we were just catching up on ...

Hi I am a library assistant and was caught reading a book while I was shelving..?
Do you think that pose a threat to my career/ what should I say to defend myself if I get complaints?

Do you think it's ok to do that for my job?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links