Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

I gave a 2 week notice to my employer. The next day the employer told me not to come back.Am I owed any $$?
Find answers to your legal question.

I gave a 2 week notice to my employer. The next day the employer told me not to come back.Am I owed any $$?

I gave my employer a 2 week notice because I was offered a better paying job. The next day my employer contacted me and told me that I "did not have to return" to work because I had accepted a job with a competitor. Even though that job was not due to begin for another 3 weeks. Am I owed that last 2 weeks of pay? Should I file for unemployment benefits?

leysarob
Rating
Not likely. You can't get paid for work not performed in most cases.

You can file for unemployment thought and will likely get the benefits since you did give notice and the employer refused to let you work out the two weeks.

Judy
No, you aren't owed the last 2 weeks of pay, you are only owed for the time you actually worked.

In most states you won't be able to collect unemployment.

Expert Realtor
Rating
It varies by state. Some states say that if you put in a 2- week notice and then they turn around and fire you, they owe you for the two weeks (ie. North Carolina)...other states say they don't have to pay.

You cannot get unemployment benefits until you have been unemployed for at least 30 days.

Some employers let employees go for security reasons instead of permitting them to work out a notice...but it's unprofessional not to inform an employee of this at hire.

Just remember:

NEVER tell a current employer that you are accepting another position...especially a competitor.

ALWAYS be financially prepared to be let go the DAY you put in your notice..b/c most employers have that right.

redgator40
not owed anything and won't be able to collect unemployment.

insane draggin
Only vacation time owed and the time you actually worked.

beckoningsubstitutes
Rating
If you have vacation coming, that amou nt is owed. There is a 1 week waiting period to collect unemployment. The 2 weeks vacation pay does not count toward time off.. You would start the new job as soon as you become eligible. Make sure you are going to get your vacation. They may stiff you.

easy tigerâ„¢
The old double standard comes into play, they can discharge you when it suits them best, but they request a two week notice to give them time to fill your space. s.o.l......

yaguru
Rating
The employer is NOT required to accept YOUR notice. However the employer is required to PAY YOU YOUR REQUIRED NOTICE.

For example In my jurisdiction in Canada, if a person works less than 3 months its zero. 3 months to 2 years = 1week

over 2 years, 2 weeks..

SO If I give 2 weeks notice, and I'm less than 3 months, the employer can let me go right away and not pay anything.
If I have worked like a year, he doesn't have to accept my 2 weeks, he can say, We're refusing the two weeks, and letting you go today, We will pay you the required ONE week notice.

Make sure you get what you are entitled to. Find out how much you are entitled to get from your local labour office. An employer ALWAYS has to pay the REQUIRED notice. So depending on your situation, yes you might get your two weeks paid.

I don't think you will be eligible for unemployment since you quit. Maybe call the new employer, tell them you are available right away. Can you start sooner??

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

In the UK, If you quit your job what benefits are you entitled to?
In the UK, If you quit your job what benefits are you entitled to, JSA or just hardship and how much?

Links to hard facts appreciated also....

Is it legal to photocopy of ID from employee?

When I quit my job am I owed both accrued vacation and sick time...or just vacation time?
I am in the state of Louisiana so any help from the locals would be appreciated....

Unfair Job Advice??
I am in need of serious advice here please. I am an assistant manager of a store and have many years of experience. The new store manager is giving my jobs to a member of staff who is below me. So ...

What information will an employer release about a former employee?
I am not sure if this is a legal issue, but I have heard that many employers are reluctant to release information for fear of lawsuits. For example, an employer might discuss a former employee'...

Is this legal...is there a law governing overtime rates of pay...?
My employer paid time and a half for any work done over the contracted 37.5 hours per week .They have now announced that they are abolishing overtime rate and will replace it with flat rate. So any ...

Is NOT getting paid for overtime illegal?

Additional Details
I live in South Carolina if that makes any ...

Lawyer threatens to contact employer?
My Friend (A) is in a dispute with someone, who hired a lawyer (B). B threatened A that they would contact A's employer and tell them about what was going on, if A did not do a certain thing by ...

Is it legal for an employer to do a mass layoff in a dpmnt(50%+), and almost a month later post same position?

Isn't making a person work 7 days a week illegal even when paying overtime?
My fiance is a machinist and works five days a week 12 hours per shift. He works 60 hours a week and they pay him overtime for 20 of those hours. Well now they fired two people at the shop and now ...

Do you get paid time and a half if you work on Memorial Day ?
A friend of mine told me that you get paid time and a half on a few holidays, one of which being Memorial Day.... is this true?...

Can you be an attorney if you have a felony on your criminal record?

Disability discrimination at work - dda?
My friend feels he is being discriminated against at work. His employer denies this obviously. Does my friend have to prove this to a level without question for it to be taken seriously? His friends ...

Do employers have the legal right to do this?
I quit my job because it was so hard for me to make my quota. During training it was made perfectly clear that there was no quota only "expectations". (A subtle hint for me to get out of ...

How do employers know if you have your g.e.d or not for employment? an how do they check to see if you do?

Past employer still threatening me?
After quitting my job almost three weeks ago after working in a environment of harsh speaking staff and negativity-

I have gotten 3 letters from them about company property(which I ...

I want to resign from my new job...Am I doing the right move?
I'm a bank employee. I resigned from my first job which I've been with for 5yrs and transferred from another company thinking that it can give me the chance to have a better career & ...

Age discrimination at work?
i have heard that it is now illegal to ask for date of birth on a British job application form. can anyone direct me to a site that states this in writing pls. i have tried a few sites and cant find ...

Can I still pursue a career as a police officer?
About nine years ago, I was ticketed for shoplifting. I was 19 at the time, and was put on a probationary period. If no similar offenses occured, it would not be on my permenent record. I know ...

Can you use a made up signature on legal docs?
I have made up a signature that actually isn't my name. Can i use this to sign documents. It is kind of a nickname people call me.
Thanks for any answers!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links