Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

I quit a job after 3 weeks and the company are refusing to pay me, is this against the law?
Find answers to your legal question.

I quit a job after 3 weeks and the company are refusing to pay me, is this against the law?

The company claim i should have given them 1 months notce which it also states in my contract i signed. Surely it is not logical to give a company 1 months notice when you have worked there for a short period of time and it is against the law to not pay me wages owed to me?

mj69catz
This is different when there is a contract involved. Most employment is "At Will", meaning that you are not REQUIRED to give them notice, but it is recommended. However, if you have a legal document, you will have to read the legal document as to what it states.

Next time, put in the 1 months notice. Chances are, they will ASK you to leave immediately rather than losing the money they spend training you (very rarely is someone fully trained and worth the cost in 3 weeks.) -- Then, they would have had to pay you as they would also be in breach of contract.

You may want to speak to an attorney. But at the very least, get a copy of the contract and read what it states.

lcplyr7
I would be surprised if they didn't make you full fill your commitment to them. Does your contract state anything about not paying you if you don't work a full month before leaving? I would venture to say that yes they will have to pay you but these days anything goes. Did you formally quit or did you just walk out without saying a word?

Randy
Rating
In most cases when you get hired as an Employee at a company, you do not sign a contract. You should read the contract you signed to see what you and they are obligated to do. At the same time you may protected under state and federal laws if you were actually hired by the company as an employee.

In general, I would say you are owed the money. You can go to your state's Department of Labor and ask them their opinion.

hirebookkeeper
Yes, they will have to pay you, but dont be surprised if they sue you for not fulfilling your contract. Contact your state's labor dept for more information.

coolrockboy380
There are two possibilities here, both dependent on the nature of your "contract."

If what you signed was in actuality a legally binding contract, and you were being treated as a contractor as opposed to an employee, you are probably not owed anything.

The more likely case is that what you signed was not a contract at all. In fact, if it is anything like what most employers ask new hires to sign it explicitly says that it is not to be construed as a contract. It is merely a book of the companies employment policies that they reserve the right to change at any time.

If you were truly an employee, which you most likely were, you are entitled to your wages for all hours worked.

You can file a complaint with your state Dept of Labor or federal department of labor to recover any unpaid wages, although itmay be difficult to recover anymore than minimum wage for the hours you worked.

shelcom
Rating
If it's in the contract, why are you even asking the question?? You signed it, you broke it, too bad how sad.

Mustbe
Rating
The required notice is two weeks in most states
They have to pay you.
Call the labor relations board.

fide88101
Rating
It is against the Law to withhold your salary already earned, if you signed a contract that binds you to give a notice before quitting, that is a different animal, they could punish you let's say "they wont hire you in a future date", but contact the Labor Department "What you earned is yours"

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I get umemployment benefits if I quit my job?
I work in Orange County, CA. If i decide to quit my job, will I be able to collect unemployment from them, or do they need to fire me?...

My employer (soon to be ex) is pissing me off....how can i get my money?
Monday i discovered that one of my payroll checks (late to begin with) was returned NSF with fees.

On the same day , I put my two weeks notice in, becasue i found a much better job
<...

Does every HR run background check before hiring a candidate?

HR Qt - Is it legal for an employer to insist that I use vac. time for 1st 2 days of my sick leave?
If you are out for 3 or more days, they take the first 2 from vacation time (combined time off) and then the third day you can take from your sick bank....

Two weeks notice? When does it start and end?
If you send it cert. mail.
If i give my employer a 2 wk notice and i usually work mon-fri,
it will mean 14 business days or two wks (10 days)? Also If they accept my two weeks notice do ...

Can you quit a job for harrasment?
can you quit your job becuase you were harrased by managment and told them to stop and they didnt and collect unemployment for that being the reason you quit? i know you can collect if you quit ...

Is a lawyer wasting her time by visiting a general job fair?

I need a job!!!?
I'm currently a legal secretary III, but i do not want to work at the hospital as a secretary. I went to college and got my associates in administrative assistant and would like to work in a ...

Is it legal for my employer to hold me the additional hour during time change and not pay me?
I'm an hourly employee who works nights. Well, it seems that my employer recently changed their policy and decided that they would only pay me for the 12 hours of work that I'm scheduled ...

I left my 1st job after training &other job I worked on contract basis,left after 3 week both din't pay me
I was trained for 3.5 months and I left the job but they did not pay me for the last month. After that I took up a job on contract basis and left after 3 weeks but they are refusing to pay me. I did ...

What age can i start work?
I am 11. Does any one know if I could start work yet and if not what age do i have to be?...

I was terminated...?
I was at the end of my 6 mo probationary period. I felt I was doing a fantastic job. However, my supervisor turned me loose. I really feel it's because she just simply didn't like me. I ...

Can i be fired while i am on vacation?
I just came back from vacation and we got a new manager (radio shack). I have not been back to work yet as I was not scheduled to work this week for some reason. My friend who is assistant manager ...

My grandma is forced to work overtime, help?
My grandma wants to stay working, but only on her regular days which is Monday through Wednesday. Now, with black friday they are forcing her to work from 4am to 9:30 pm and then 11 hours on Saturday....

Are employers allowed to say you can't go outside on your breaks?
In KY, employers are required to allow a 10 minute break for each 4 hours worked. Are they allowed to say you can't go outside or leave the building during those breaks? I feel like, since it�...

Employer asking me to send full credit card statement for purchase verification. Is this legal?
I purchased airfare and turned in my itinerary from orbits which shows the cost but not how I paid for it. So now my company is demanding I give them my full credit card statement in order to be ...

I have a law degree but did not pass bar. Is it worth it to get paralegal cert. for more $$?
Legal assistant jobs don't pay very much without a paralegal cert. and I have a family to support immediately. I also have very little "legal" experience besides summer internships ...

I need help writing a 2 week notice letter for KFC because i'm quitting today?
I don't know what to say, but i'm quitting today, and i'm probably going to get a job at a clinic, i alrready applied and i need to go to orientation soon....

Isn't being a lawyer a dangerous job?
or is it just ...

Am I entitled to have a copy of what i sign?
The company I work for decides to lay me off due to the restructure of the company. My manager presents me the letter to inform this change. In the letter, my company spells out the reason of this ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links