Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

I suspect a past employer is trashing my name when a potentially new employer calls to confirm my employment.?
Find answers to your legal question.

I suspect a past employer is trashing my name when a potentially new employer calls to confirm my employment.?

I also suspect it may have cost me a job offer although I can not prove this. Can I sue or threaten a law suit? Should I have a friend call and see what is being said?

CatLaw
Rating
This is a very common problem and not easy to solve. First, the law covering what a previous employer can say is controlled by the state where the business is. The majority of states still follow the rule that an employer can say a person did work there, dates worked, title, and in some states salaryor salary range.

However, there are some states like Illinois that let a previous employer say whatever they want "as long as the employer believes it is true". The majority of large corporations with stores/offices in many states will follow the most restrictive law as a company policy.

Second, in order to sue the previous employer you would need to have a potential employer testify as witness in a civil case that if it were not for this reference you would have been hired. The vast majority of employers do not want to be a witness for a person that they did not want to hire. It is a quick step from suing a former employer for what he/she said, to suing the potential employer for not hiring you due to discrimination.

Yes, you could have a friend call, but you cannot use that in court. Why? First this is a friend, second you need to prove that you lost money by the previous employer's comments and the only way you can do that is to have a potential employer testify that they did not hire you due to the comments.

What you can do is to NOT give a direct phone number to the supervisor that you suspect is providing the bad reference. I always suggest that people put the direct phone number of the Human Resources department on all applications, even if HR is out of state. You may be able to omit the actual name of a supervisor if you worked for serveral people -- put in the word 'various' when asked for the supervisor's name.

Another way to deal with this is to get written references from those you worked with, maybe another supervisor at the same company, or someone who saw your work. You give a copy of this reference to the potential employer. When the potential employer asks about the previous employer you honestly say that there was a personality conflict and that someone is trying to keep you from work BUT here are statements from my former bosses that will show I was a good employee.

I have had several clients obtain jobs by just being honest about a former boss who had a grudge against the employee. It requires that you somehow furnish the potential employer references as to the quality of your work. Good luck.

spaznskitz
sure, you can have someone call and pretend to be a potential employer...but be aware of something, the job market is not good - there are many people competing for the same job(s) you are - I highly doubt you are being trashed.

gussler47
My question to you would be,what he claims is it base on any facts??

melissa
I would have someone call and see what is being said, be careful for caller ID

wcowell2000
Rating
Contact a labor attorney. You may have a case here.

Becky
Rating
I agree with Malissa, you can't sue unless you have proof. Good luck!

Kengem
Rating
First, ask yourself "is the past employer telling the truth"? In today's world employers are afraid to say anything for fear of your second sentence. Generally, if they don't say anything at all, it's a bigger indictment than if they said anything.

g626t
Rating
You should have a friend call to see what is said, and if it was bad skip that reference

G. B.
If your former employer is "trashing" your reputation -AND- the "trashing" is undeserved, that is, you weren't the horrible employee that they are claiming.....you have the basis for a law suit. Seek the advice of an Attorney if your past work performance was positive.

hazeleyes202001
All you can do is make sure you create a good impression on whoever you meet when you interview. That's a good idea though: having a friend call, and pretending to be a potential employer to see exactly what's being said.

And if it's substantial, you can sue for slander.

Sean D
Pretend to be another prospecting employer and ask to confirm your employment. And make sure you have a recorder ready on the other end of the line when your past employer is trashing you.

ancestron
If they are, it is against the law. By law a former employer cannot trash you. They can only give facts like how long you worked there, what you did, why you quit, etc.
If they bad-mouth you, they can be sued for defamation of character.

De
If you can prove it I would totally because that is one of the big no nos of Human resource.. I can't bad talk a past employee even if she was never there back talked me or another supervisor.... Just make sure that if they are saying bad things make sure that it is an exagerated version of something you have done at work...

allison b
have someone you know call and record it its against the law

M
Yes, you should definitely investigate. Bottom line is- you have to have proof. I would record the conversation and consult an attorney.

LodiGirl
Rating
I totally would. And if they are, then that is ILLEGAL. They are only allowed to say from what dates you worked there. You can take them down for slander.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Secret Squirell
Rating
They can only call your past employer if you give them permission. The only thing they can say is: How long you worked with them and are you rehirable.

I think it would be pretty hard to find out if your past employer cost you a job offer unless the company that denied you the position tells you that your past employer gave them negative information.

Yes, I would have a friend call to check. Make sure when they call they sound professional and they DO NOT CHANGE THEIR TONE in their voice,, keep it firm and professional!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Have you ever been unemployed for 2 months?
sound's like ridiculous but just to know. I've gradueated from my college and I still find myself unempoloyed around 2 months. honestly, i couldn't let myself like this way and I want ...

Can an employer in the UK insist that you work overtime,if you refuse can he take disciplinary action?
the overtime is paid i just dont want to do it....

Is it fair to pay a man more?
If I went to the same school as a man. We got the exact same education. Which cost us the same amount of money. And we both had the same GPA. Why would the man make more money than me?

Would you warn him?
If you found out that a bloke at work had texted a woman at work (not a nasty text, but gone through her personal details to get her number and doesn't even talk to her at work) and you and the ...

Can an employer legally require you to divulge a second job or self-employment?
Recently, my company announced that all workers would have to divulge any second jobs or self-employment, and furthermore, have them approved (or denied) by the General Manager as a condition for ...

Am i entitled to a break ?
I work for 7 hour, 3 in the morning with an hour dinner (unpaid) and 4 in the afternoon. Am i entitled to a break in the afternoon and if so should i be paid for it ?
Additional Details
N...

What if my career test says...?
I am a sophomore in high school and I am leaning toward the law field for a career. My nature is very soft and emotional and people tell me I cant handle the competitive field of law.

R...

Workplace ethics: My spouse strongly suspects the boss listens in on incoming phone calls at work. Thoughts?
The boss also apparently monitors conversations. Legal issues here or better to just move on?...

Is putting a sign up at work gross misconduct if it is against the company?

Can an employer terminate your employment if you become a patient under the mental health act 1983?

Minimum wage!!!?
Im a minor (16) and i work at a Big Boys and im getting paid 6.50 and hour which i just found out is under The minimum wage which just recently got bumped to 715 and even before that i was getting ...

Laid off work is it legal?
Is it legal for my boss to lay me off work without ...

Can you sue???
Quick question...

Can you sue your employer if you work 12 hours a day and only get 30min break working on a wharehouse?
Additional Details
I live in Houston TX 77058
<...

What do you think of Magistrates?? Just interested?
My personal opinon is that they are;
Uneducated social climbers..

Simply because they require a Court Clerk to outline legal principles for them, they have approximately 4 weeks legal ...

I was recently terminated from my job for violating company policy. Should I divulge this on applications ?
I was employed as a department manager for 11 years with my last employer. I always had acceptable or better annual reviews. I went outside of company policies to complete my job one day and was ...

My son doing night shift is this legal?
my son and his friend are both under 18 and they are been told to do night shift for royal mail which was done through a agency called reeds. having done some research into it i found that it is not ...

Will a law degree leave me cursed with a boring life of contracts and paperwork?
I feel like I have made the wrong choice, should I just finish?...

What is the best job title for my new job?
My new job will entail using my skills as Office Manager, Senior Paralegal and Marketing Manager/Coordinator. My boss recommended Office Manager, Senior Case Manager but I don't know. S...

Which practice of law pays the most?
I'm curious which area of law brings homes the highest salary. Also will a large law firm pay more than a smaller one?
Additional Details
Also, will my average-looks keep me from ...

Realistically, how old it too old to ...?
I really want to go to law school but I would be 38 when I finished. Is that too old to even consider going to law school? Wouldn't it be harder to compete against the 26-27 year olds in the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links