Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

If I have a doctors note in hand can my boss still write me up?
Find answers to your legal question.

My boys are really sick. I was suppose to work third shift but obviously I couldn't go in. So the next day I take them to the doctor to get them checked out. I go into work later with a doctors note and he still wrote me up.

michr
Question
YES.....................
the write-up could be for the absenteeism or the failure to call-in at an appropriate time depends on the companies policy.

employers do NOT have to excuse any type of absences.

generally illness such as a cold or flu do not qualify for FMLA (coverage requires a SERIOUS medical issue) as well as many employers are not covered by the law and many employees of companies that are covered do not meet the criteria to qualify. so FMLA is probably not an option, for info see:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.pdf
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/benefits-leave-FMLA.htm

auntie*em
Rating
my job does that too -it's b.s.

unless we're in hospital,there ar no excused absences.

Judy
Sure he can. It isn't a question of whether your boys are really sick. You were scheduled for work, and weren't there, so it is an absence and he can write you up. You can be fired for not being at work when you are scheduled, even if you, or a family member, is sick.

Libraryanna
Rating
What did he write you up for? Did you call in and tell them you weren't coming in? You should also check your employee handbook if they have one. Sadly, some companies will dock you or punish for taking time off for your kids. Unless it violates the family medical leave act, you are stuck. Find a new job if you can.

Family and Medical Leave Act

Overview

Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:

* for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
* for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
* to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
* to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Would an employer take into consideration a preplanned family vacation?
I am looking for a full time job now. I am letting employers know in the interview that I have a preplanned family vacation scheduled for the full third week of May. Will I have trouble getting that ...

My step-mum wont let me see my brother?? court order?
I am 23, and have a 3 year old brother, whom my stepmum will not let me see. Is there any way i can get a court order or anything so i can see him and let my 2 year old son meet him? i cant really ...

Do you think law is a good profession to go into now??
like lawyer cuz it's wat im good at...
Additional Details
mr. david dude:

I know how to spell perfectly well, and I'm a rattlesnake in arguments. Ever heard of slang?...

My Boss Is Trying To Fire Me?
I interviewed with a different supervisor and manger for this position. Neither however is available to help me deal with this issue. I have worked in the medical field many years. Recently having an ...

Meeting conversation recorded in office, legal or Not?
I work for a company in Nebraska. I know that it is a one party state, one must know about the recording.

Can my manager legally record and use in court a recording of the conversation ...

Receptionist for law firm?
I was just given the opportunity for an interview as a receptionist for a local law firm, can anyone tell me what i may be doing?...

Are there any employers that hire felons in Las Vegas?

Is a law firm's decision to discontinue coffee service for its employees a sign that it is going to close?

I need help from someone who knows HR. I was fired from my job yesterdat and received my final paycheck?
I make hourly plus commission. But I did not receive my commission for the month of November on it. Was my former employer, suppose to include that on it. I live in CA and have been trying to find ...

Need advice if I was wrongfully terminated or not.?
I was terminated from my job at a bank.

I was told by my fellow employee that I was suspended for forging a clients signature. I then got terminated for not using proper balancing ...

Do you have to be an employee to report unsafe working conditions to OSHA?
I am a former employee. I know the working conditions are still unsafe and the employer is not compliant with OSHA....

What can you do if a new employer took back an offer and you already left your former employer?
now you end up with no job at all..help I can't go back because I gave like a months notice and trained the new employee who replacing me
Additional Details
toronto, C...

How to WORD IT on a Job App?
How to explain on a Federal Job Application A misdemeanor for child ...

What should get a job or not?
since i got pregant and moved to New york do you think i should well has a teather that plays musis at a day care a bartender or should i just like my fiance work all morning at the ...

I'm a people greeter for Wal-Mart, i need to have my supervisors replace me at the door.?
If that doesn't happen and I get fired do i have a legal recourse? Considering it was out of my control.
Additional Details
If I get a meal exception....

What are some reasons why being a doctor is the most rewarding job?

What are the things a former employer can tell during a reference check?
I was poop canned at my old job, and I thought they could only give dates when employment history was checked, yet they told my prospective employer that I was fired. I am in Massachusetts, as laws ...

Im 18 years old and having the hardest time finding a job in Chicago....are any of your employers hiring?
I've lbeen looking for a job and im really determined but no luck =[....are any of the places you currently work at hiring..if so help please =]...

Employment Question?
what would happen if u worked at a local carwash in 2000 now its 2008 under ALL new people its a corporation. If I filledout an application their and said I wasnt previously employed by them what ...

Employment Law Question?
Here is the situation: we went from getting paid every two weeks to getting paid once a week. The last full check that we got was on sept 14th for the prior 2 weeks. Today (25th) we got a check that ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links