Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

If you've been with a company for 6 years and get dismissed, do you get paid X months salary, if so, how much?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you've been with a company for 6 years and get dismissed, do you get paid X months salary, if so, how much?

And does it depend on the type of dismissal (eg : gross misconduct)?

Alex
Rating
They could dismiss you immediately with no pay for gross misconduct but they are unlikely to do that unless it was v. serious.

If your job is being made redundant then that's different

k
Rating
If you are dismissed/sacked you do NOT get paid at all - a lot of companies will NOT pay you any money owed to you since the last pay, they will keep this money as compansation as you have damaged the company's name or reputation.

If you are being made redundant and have worked for them for 6 years you will get 6 weeks pay - 1 week's pay for every complete year you have worked for them.

tiggerbeeuk
Rating
If you have been sacked as opposed to been made redundant then there will have been a notice period served by the company. This should be stated in your contract and in the dismissal notice. There is no entitlement beyond that, in fact if the gross misconduct includes financial loss, you may have salary deducted to make good the loss to the company.

Ron S
You only get paid redundancy money if your job was made redundant.

If you were dismissed you only get what is owed to you for the work up to the day of dismissal plus any outstanding holidays you are entitled to.

Cari
If you mean dismissed as in fired, then no, you are not entitled to anything at all. It doesn't matter whether it's gross misconduct or any other reason. Clearly you've been fired because you can't do your job, so why should your employer pay you to be rid of you?

The only exception could be that if the employer doesn't want to follow the standard warning procedure and wants rid of you immediately, sometimes they'll just pay you off. That isn't strictly legal so there's no set amount. But this does not apply in situations like gross misconduct, where they don't have to follow the standard procedure and can just get rid of you immediately.

If you mean that you've actually been made redundant, then after two years' service you are entitled to statutory redundancy pay. I can't remember the exact figure but it's something like two weeks' pay for each year that you've been employed, so it's not a huge amount of money.

Gem
In the US there are NO laws entitling employees to anything other than being paid for their work AND forcing a company to stick to a contract.

If you were fired unjustly, you may be able to sue if they block your unemployment, see a labor lawyer.

If they allow you to collect unemployment, usually lawyers won't touch your case.

But, no, there are no laws saying I have to give my employees anything other than the pay I owe for the work completed.

Judy
Rating
Are you in the US? There are no laws mandating severance pay, although some companies will give it if you are laid off and not fired. If you are dismissed for gross misconduct, I'd be surprised if any company would pay you any severance pay.

pingu says
you get nothing! back in the old days you got severance pay. but for on the spot dismissal you get your lying week and the week you worked. if you get made redundant you get a weeks wages for every year worked plus company pension at 1/3 the value of what you paid in or something like that. if you get paid off you get lying week and weeks wages. i have absolutely no love or respect for any employer at the minute, so i would screw them for all i could. if your only legally able to get whats owed then drop them in it too. any dirt you have on them let the proper authorities know about it. thast the taxman and health and safety and if needs be the cops.

Marc X
Rating
This kind of sounds like a UK question. In the US, there is no severance pay by law or regulation. Only that which is specifically negotiated in a contract between the company and individual. The terms for such severance pay would also be specified in the contract.

In one contract for me, the only exclusion for severance pay would be termination due to a criminal act against the company, which also would have resulted in prosecution. (They wanted me REALLY bad.)

Volatility K
They don't have to pay you at all but MAY decide to give 2 weeks pay simply to be done with you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Did they commit a crime?
I am a single parent I have no money to hire a lawyer and now no job. I am new to this store, I just transferred a month or so ago. I have worked for the company for about 4 years and have really put ...

Sick Pay Question - Does this sound strange to you?
My husband has been working with a large corporation for almost a year now. He has about 31 hours of sick time accumulated. He was sent home sick halfway through a shift & was out the next day ...

Have you found a job in a field other than what you went to school for (with no expierence)???
Wondering if anyone found a good paying job that required a BA degree but not specifically in the job related field (ie they only wanted a degree and didn't care what it was in). If so, what is ...

Is there a law against business's at how often they hire and fire people that work for them?

Additional Details
That is all good to know and kinda thought but it almost seems like this person does it for fun! Kinda likes to mess with peoples lives!...

Dont you think this is unfair?
i got accepted for a trainee job in a law firm as a trainee executive (the work is very similar to that of a solicitors) and the training period was only two weeks. i had to exhaust my brain to learn ...

I got fired from my job today?

i was a new hire on 3 month probation on an at will basis. I was fired after 1month. My employer never had a trainer for me despite supposed on the job training yet she expected me to learn the ...

Is it legal to be dismissed after 18 months employment o grounds of failure to provide ref from your past empl?
after 18 months employment, my contract was terminated and the reason given was that I failed to provide references from my last employer, though I have provided 2 references from colleagues.
Do ...

Can an employer legally say you cannot use your cell phone on a break that you clocked out for?
I work in a hometown restaurant where many people have pushed the employers buttons causing a strict, no cell phones allowed in the building policy. However, this also applies to when we are on ...

My partner has been suspended from work on full pay.the issue is irrelevant i think.?
"in a complaints enquiry at work involving 2 employees, is it normal for both parties to be suspended during the investigation, or just the party the complaint is against?
Additional D...

Can u get fired over the phone?
i had been off work for the whole week. But before then he had me working one day out the week. he cut my hours for no reason. i was the manager of the kitchen. never got into trouble, made sure the ...

Should I give my employer notice that I am quitting?
I have worked for them for four years and two months ago, they cut my hours significantly, but indicated that it was to economize the office and that they still value me. They gave me a few days'...

Fired from job because of MySpace blog??
My friend was fired today because of a blog she posted on MySpace. Within the blog she complained of the treatment she was receiving from our boss--okay, she also called her a few names... Our ...

Is there a difference between fired and laid off?
My boyfriend's employer, in a right-to-work-state, told him and several other people that they were being laid off and gave them paperwork stating they were rehirable. When my boyfriend tried to ...

Does anyone know of a career involving snakes, that pays well?
Ever since i was 8 i have had a love for snakes and i was just wondering if ther's a good paying job out there that would let me handle snakes and get paid well for it?...

What really happens at a job fair?
i want to know what goes down at a job ...

If I quit my job because of child care issues.....?
If I quit my job because of child care issues.....?
Would I qualify for unemployment in CT

I have a 2yr old and 4yr old and no child ...

I am out of a job and can't find one, and I think i was wrongfully fired?
I am a restaurant manager with a little experience, I was always a chef. I was fired last Saturday, and was told it was cause of probabtion, but the night before, I broke my toe, I still worked, but I...

I feel so.. worried. any help?
Okay.. I was going to a local cubfoods to grab my grandma a newspaper and I saw a guy who left his wallet there.. I took it and put it in my pants then took it back out...because I was like "T...

Should you be paid the same for the same job?
My friend has been working for a company for several years and someone new has just been hired for exactly the same job but is getting paid alot more. But my friend also has alot more responsibility ...

Can you become a lawyer if you have been convicted of a felony?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links