Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

If you are working overtime do you still by law take a 30 min lunch and if so do i still get 2 15 min breaks?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you are working overtime do you still by law take a 30 min lunch and if so do i still get 2 15 min breaks?

Miss Texas
Rating
Yes, you should be allowed a lunch break and you should get AT LEAST one 15 minute break, especially if you're working overtime. I work 8 hours a day and get an hour lunch with 2 15-minute breaks.

Gretchen V
Rating
If you live in Alberta, Yes, and Yes. By the way, the two 15-minutes are paid breaks.

Mopar 300
Rating
Yes and Yes. In California that is the case. Depending on how much overtime you might be required more 15 min breaks

Judy
Rules vary by state for breaks and lunches, but you wouldn't get LESS if you are working your normal shift plus overtime.

Jelly Bean
Rating
If you work an extra 4 hours you get an additional 15 minutes. If you work 8 hours you get an addtional mealtime and two 15 minute breaks.

53MalePrison
Rating
The labor laws are different for every state and also by the union.
The California have a rule that if you work 5 hours, you must take at least 30 mins break. Anything less than 30 mins does not count towards the official required break. So if you had to take two 15 mins break then it doesn't add up to one 30 mins break.
Check with your union or the local labor laws. The HR should be able to help.

jmfr5180
Rating
If you're gonna work 6 or more hours, you must have at least a 30-minute break by the 5th hour. If working 8 hours, you also get two 10-minute breaks. Most employers give 15.

rttmn218
Rating
you are supposed to get a 15 minute break every 3 hours and if you are working voluntary overtime you don't get a 15 minute break if you're working over 3 hours of overtime. if it's involuntary you should get it.

Mel
There is actually no law that employees are entitled to lunch or meal breaks. There is a dept of labor regulation that stated how employees are to be compensated (or not) for meal and rest periods.

However, in most industries the following are common practice for meal and rest periods:

-one 10 or 15 minute break for every four hours of work
-one 30-minute meal period for every five hours of work, unless the shift will end in six hours. Employees in some states can also choose to waive their meal period if they do so in writing.

Questions
Rating
If you work overtime you should get a break once every four hours... I think.

oscargramps
depends where you are. most places require that you have a 1/2 hour unpaid break every 4 hours for lunch breaks. some will also require that you get a paid break as well.

rtfm
Working conditions are governed by STATE law as well as by federal. Check your state's Web site -- look for "Department of Labor" or "DOL" links.

hfghfg f
Rating
http://softwarejobindia.com/

eaglestrike117
Rating
ask ur boss

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it legal for your company that hired you as a salaried employee, change you to hourly but only pay u 40 hrs
I was hired by a company as a full time salaried employee and when I had my review tell me because of a verbal warning, never put in writing, I was being changed to hourly but that I would only be ...

Any advice before before I go before judge on first DUI con fiction?
Not only lost licence..lost my driving job of eight years...family health insurance....

Does an employer have the right to fire a person after she makes a complaint about her manager?
My fiance was just terminated from her pharmacy technician job immidiatly after talking to her human resources mangager (in confidentiality) about her manager being unfair in the way he treated her ...

Hey, I got a e-mail and it said he'll give me $200.00 if I let his buyers send money to my paypay acct.....
Hey, I got a e-mail and it said he'll give me $200.00 if I let his buyers send money to my paypay acct.....
Hey, I got a e-mail and it said he'll give me $200.00 if I let his buyers ...

I got fired from my job?
alrigth this was a accident, but i put superme Gas in a Truck that only takes deasel and my boss fires me... would you have fired me to , i mean it was a accident i didnt mean to do ...

My employer requires that everyone come in 10 minutes early, but does not pay us for this time. Is that legal?
One of my co-workers has been complaining about this, but it's the same person that say that by law they are allowed a smoking break every two hours... so I don't know...

We have ...

My employer does not pay overtime. Is this legal???
I' m working at a nursing home in DC as an LPN. At this facility you have to pass meds and do your treatments everyday. I put in 30 extra mins everyday. and i do not get paid. There have ...

I have an email from world trading post offering me a job but i don't know wither its it legit or not?

Can a company withold holiday money owed to me if i dont work out my notice?
I am due to leave in january but i am thinking of leaving before as they already have someone to take my place, however someone said they can withold my money, can they??

thanks in advance<...

Is law school worth the time, stress, money, etc.?

If you smoke I won't hire you?
I run more than one business, do you think me wrong for not wanting to hire smokers, keep in mind the time lost to me with smoke breaks. if a smoker goes for a smoke break every hour and including ...

Does law prohibits from working for two employers at the same time for full-time?
what are the problems that someone might encounter?...

Would you hire anyone with a criminal record?
This is my first crime, that i've committed, since it being my frist offense, after i pay my fine it will be erased from my record. So if I had the qualifications of a job i'm applying for, ...

How HONEST should I be when going to a job interview? I have felonies that I'm afraid to disclose?
(One was for arson ,3 for drug sales, 1 strong arm robbery, 2 gran theft, and 1 home invasion), but they were over 3 years ago. I did my time and I am trying to change, but it seems noone is willing ...

What is the legal position on giving notice to leave your job?
I have been employed in this job for 1 year. I have no written contract of employment. I am paid weekly in cash. How much notice do i need to give. (If any) ?...

Emplyment law.....?
Hi,

This a UK employment law question…..

Does a UK employer have a legal obligation to provide transport home for staff from, for example, a Christmas party which is held away ...

Can an employer legally keep you for 20 minutes unpaid overtime?
After completing 15 minutes unpaid/unscheduled overtime my friend inquired to her boss about this 'overtime'. He told her that apparently he was within his right to request any employee to ...

I live in NC and is okay by law for an employer to cut your 4th of July bonus from 3% to 1.5% with out notice.
They also said if we did not like it, we could refuse the bonus and they would sign us up for that week. The employee handbook clearly states 3% for all bonuses. Can they by law do that. I would be ...

If I wore a bikini to a job inteview, would it help my chances of getting a job as a front desk receptionist?
It's for a law firm........

Fired!!!!!!!!!!!?
I just fired and I want to sue somebody!!!!

I just got fired after 5 months of employment. I was never warned, on the contrary I was told I did a good job.

The excuse was that I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links