Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

If you give two weeks notice, and are asked to leave the same day, can you collect unemployement?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you give two weeks notice, and are asked to leave the same day, can you collect unemployement?

I found a new job that is going to start at the end of the year. I plan on giving my current employer at least 3 weeks notice. If I do so and I am asked to leave that same day, am I eligible to collect unemployment? I don't want to go 3 weeks without pay and technically, I am not "quitting" until the end of the three weeks. Thank you!

CGAA72
Rating
definitely check out your local labor laws. you can go to your state's web site and they'll have links.

is your relationship that bad with your boss? I would think they'd at least want to keep you around to train someone.

Also, I think if you hand in your two week notice, and they ask you to leave before the 2 weeks are up, technically you were fired. I know in our payroll system we have to give a termination date to stop paying someone. if the term date is before the date stated in your notice as your last day, you were fired. just a thought

goz1111
most likely no, once they receive notice that you are voluntarily quiting, they may terminate you the day you give notice, even if you are giving them three weeks notice

and unemployment will considered it a voluntary quit on your part even though the company let you go three weeks earlier, the day you give notice of intent to quit in future that is it

leysarob
Probably. File anyway.

Carrie-ann F
Rating
if they asked you to leave then yes you can...however it takes 35 days for them to accept your file for unemployment be ware. but if they asked you to leave that is them terminating your position and if you were passed your probation period, you can request that they pay you for the two weeks you could fo still been there in small claims court and ask for them to pay your court fees....even doing that you can still start your unemployment case file though and you will recieve both amounts...do not openly tell them you are sueing them though

hr4me
Rating
If you give notice to your employer (2 weeks is the standard timeframe to give) and they ask you to leave the same day it is up to the company. There are no state laws that mandate an employer to pay you for time not worked. "At will" means that an employer can let you go, with or without notice, at any time. Just as you are free to leave them "at will". I would wait, give them 2 weeks notice.

If they ask you to leave early then ask them if they are going to pay out your notice or not. If they say no you can always apply for UI and see what happens. Realize that after you apply for UI it is easily 3 weeks before you will see the first check, the first week is unpaid automatically as a waiting period. Then if the employer contests it there is a longer delay time while the process goes along.

BMW BFD
Rating
Depends on the state. Some states require the employer to pay you for your notice if they ask you to leave when you give it. Other states have very specific unemployment laws. I would check what your state laws are on the web.

Mel
If they ask you to leave early, they are effectively terminating you, in which case you should be eligible to collect UI.

Good luck!

sherry
my employer found out I may be quiting, she asked me and I told her I was thinking about it but hadn't decidedyet. She told me to give notice and quit, what should I actually do. Quit or let them fire me?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is this illegal that my job never pays anyone on time?
Can I report my job for not paying us never on time, meaning they pay us about a week or so late?...

What can I do if I'm being fired unfairly because of favoritism?
My husband has been working with his company for 4 years, and he's been the assistant manager for 1 1/2 years. Now he has been transferred to a different store and has a new district manager who ...

How will you tell your boss that you are bored with your job?

I can lie about my current job, right?
I have been unemployed for the past month and have only worked six months in the last eighteen months.

Here's my plan. It is generally accepted that a prospective employer will not ...

Employers breaking the law?
My son (19) works for a fast food chain, he has done for 2 years. He gets paid cash weekly, doesn't have a contract, has never seen a P60, doesn't get paid holiday. The way they seem to get ...

Why does anyone want to study law and pursue a career?

What do they mean when the employer says they are not ready to hire?
I have been in for 2 interviews, talked and met with 10 people, informed that I am their top canidate, and if I found another job that they would try their best to "speed-up" their process. ...

What are some smart things that lawyers say?
Tomorrow I have to meet a guy and his lawyer and I already told the guy that I am a lawyer and I don't want him to find out. What are some things that only a lawyer would know? I already know a ...

My employer recently did a background check without my consent. How illegal is this?

How do you answer 'Why did you leave your previous job if you were terminated' on a job application?

My boss has me fetching files that are outside his office 8 STEPS! I'm on other side of bldg!!!?
He's been playing this "master/slave" thing with me lately and he's getting worse. I work in a lawfirm where the attys are pretty independent. He calls me or emails me to get a ...

Am I legally entitled to a job description?
In Ontario, Canada, is one entitled to have a copy of the job description?...

Do i have to right to email my head director my feelings that I feel I have been wrongly terminated?
even after I've tried to explain myself to another director. but they said it wasn't anything personal just I wasn't a good fit for the job. I feel I was singled-out and accused of not ...

Would it be legal for customs too seize your goods with reason given we carnt underdstand how u could afford?
whyis it legal for customs too take your tobbaco stating the reason why it was taken we carnt understand how u can afford a holiday?...

What is your view on women as correctional officers?
share your thoughts....

I started working as a manager. I am in my 3rd week of training and I decided to quit the job.?
The training is paid. My question is If I quit during the training do i have to get paid. I work in Florida, so is it any law for that. Thank you very ...

Is "introverted lawyer" an oxymoron?
In other words, is being extroverted an essential characteristic of a succesful attorney?...

My employer accidentally gave me an incentive bonus and now she wants me to repay it. is this against the law

Additional Details
I really need some legal counsel on this one... not just a moral response. Is there anywhere in the law that states if it was determined a "bonus' they ...

Why is marijuana not legal?

Humor me and in plain english and how to make a legal contract and make it free and make it hold up in court.?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, September 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links