Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

If your payroll check bounces what legal recourse do you have against your employer? ?
Find answers to your legal question.

If your payroll check bounces what legal recourse do you have against your employer? ?

Do you immediately quit and sign up for unemployment, do you turn them in to EDD what do you do? Are they responsible for any checks that you wrote that have bounced? What about overdraft charges ETC???? What as an employee is your legal rights? How can an employer keep you working if he has no money to pay you, isn't that illegal????
Additional Details
I live in California

michr
what you need to do and what recourse you have depends on where you are.

EDIT THE QUESTION................

in California you can file a wage claim and you can receive an additional penalty paid by the employer based on the number of days your pay was late due to the ISF.

for information see section 203.1 of:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=00001-01000&file=200-243

to file a wage claim:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

you can file a civil suit under:
Section 1719 of the Civil Code
to recoup all pay and any cost you have incured.

first talk to your employer and see if this can be resolved immediately by them.
IF they are not able to resolve this immediately do not continue to work knowing that you will not be paid.
if you know they are not going to pay you do not work......

hopefully this was just a mistake and the employer should correct it and pay all of your cost associated without you having to take legal action but if they do not file a wage claim and seek restitution.

do not accept excuses or continued delays, you have a limited amount of time to deal with this issue so give the employer 24 to 48 hours to get all your funds and if they don't file the wage claim. the longer you wait the more likely you are to be delayed in resolving this.

googie
Report them to the State Department of labor. Keep copies of the check and all the costs you incurred for the oversight. Be prepared to find another job. I wouldn't quit until everything was resolved to my satisfaction.

Ask M
Rating
definitely turn them into your local labor law office, and start looking for a new job

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Where does the salary of a police officer come from?
Does it come from tax-payer money?...

My job requires me to drive and I am about to have my license suspended, can I collect nj unemployment?

Felonies and job options?
what kind of jobs can you get when you have two felonies. one burglary, and two attempted man slaughter. My friend wants to be a counciler or teacher. is this possible>?...

This is a morbid question but I need to know if there is any legal recourse.?
My older sister was an LPN, had been for 7 years. She committed suicide with an overdose of Ambien in May, leaving 2 small kids behind. She left a note , stating her reasons. Her main reason was ...

Why do men have problem securing paralegal job oppose to woman?

Does working on the weekends or holidays always count as overtime?
If i have a part time job somewhere and i work on a saturday, are all the hours I work automatically counted as overtime? also, does overtime mean they pay double? (even if it is not over the 40 ...

Need some Consumer law Advice?
Hey there,

I need some advice regarding a situation which may escalate with my buying something online.

Basically ive bought an Airsoft Gun which was listed as in stock, and ...

I think that my previous employer is giving bad reviews to companies that I've interviewed with...?
What do I need to do to have enough to sue them?...

Paralegal degree with math work?PLEASE HELP?
I'm currently enrolled in school to achieve an AAS in paralegal studies but I also have a HUGE HUGE love for math. What kind of field can i get in and what should i go to school for? Also can i ...

Hi my brother got out of jail 2 months ago for cocaine, where can he find a job in metro atlanta?
2 people hired him but when they found out that he was arrested for possession of cocaine he was fired before he could work. so if you know of anyone that will hired and let him work PLEASE forward ...

I'm interested in doing a correspondence course for law after completing my graduation.I'm doing B.B.M .?
course should be for 2 years..suggest me colleges ....

Lawyers: What did you do as your undergraduate degree before going to Law school?
I'm mainly wondering that if I were to take Theatre as my undergraduate degree would it take away my chances of getting into law school?

Or should I go for something like Criminology?...

Will a Minor In Possession of Alcohol misdemeanor effect my Sonography career?
I'm 20 years old and was just charged with Minor in Possession of alcohol. I am going to school for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. How will this misdemeanor effect my future in the field? IE. T...

Is it legal to require personal information regarding credit? ?
I work for an insurance broker and they are looking to get a contract with a major Insurance Co. Over 3 years ago I had to personally file bankruptcy and now the Insurance Co. is declining my ...

I am an IT engineer,graduated in 2008.I want to pursue career in patent law.So I need some info?
I am an IT engineer,graduated in 2008.I want to pursue career in patent law.Kindly provide me details about the job profile and what will be my starting package as a fresher in ...

Are there any expirienced detectives i could talk to?
if so, email me. i have a question about a life threatening situation that happened to me a few months ago. it's WAYYYYYY too ling to be typed out here.

thanks....

New Job help I need to pass my probation evaluation 6 months. i am new and only have a month and week there.?
Hello, hope you answer this question. I recently started a new job with a 6 month probation period. This is a job I cannot afford to lose but unfortunately I'm so nervous of losing it .i cannot ...

Is it legal for my boss to keep insinuating I am ugly with jokes?

Is it legal for a 14 year old to work in the state of New Hampshire?
im 14 years old, and i want to work at my moms cafe. is it legal for me to work there? i really would like to know because i want to start making some money!

thanks for everyones answers!<...

Can I still get a job as a nutritionist with a class c theft on my record?
I'm 19 and i just got a ticket last week for shoplifting. Is this going to ruin my career? If so, is there any point of me continuing college? Ever since this happened and i've been ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, December 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links