Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

In Britain, does your employer have to give you time off work to attend an interview?
Find answers to your legal question.

In Britain, does your employer have to give you time off work to attend an interview?

Hubby has an interview coming up. He put in request for holiday ages ago. Every time he puts in request for holiday they say, no, it's not convenient. He has 8 days still to take by end of march as they won't ever approve anything. Anyway, he has to have these days as he has an interview which will involve an overnight stay.
Can they dismiss him if he takes this time off anyway, and if he's not entitled how does he ever get another job - he works 6 days a week (has signed the 48 hour thing)

kapn
Hubby don't like his work environment...he can get another job..could just call in sick.

Gemma
Basically theyhave to give hi time off for a holiday anyway, he should be entitled to at least 20 days a year but it does depend on his contract. As for an interview, if your husband has told his boss he is going for a job interview they do not have to give him time off as it is not in their best interests. If he keeps putting in for holidays and not getting them, he should complain. I don't know what you mean by he has signed a 48 hour thing. It all depends on his contract. If he takes time off for no good reason yes they can dismiss him, they do not have to give him time off to find another job

I should be doing something else
Rating
No, they don't have to give time off work for interviews but they are being extremely unreasonable and I can understand why he wants to leave!
If I was him, just to be on the safe side, would not book the time off as a holiday, but rather just take the days off as sick days.
I know it's slightly dishonest, but if they are messing about with holidays it's really thge only way.

chocoholic!
I think your husband should book the holiday/annual leave off work & say he has to have the time off as he has an appointment...he doesn't have to say what the appointment is for. But if he says an appointment maybe they'll be more likely to let him have time off. Anyway, he should be allowed to take his leave whatever.

mazdaman
Rating
Why don't you let one of the kids cook a "special" meal.... then when he goes off sick he can go to the interview. If anyone rings for him at home he's in the toilet, if anyone comes round he's at the doctor. If they do either, stuff the job anyway as they don't deserve to have him work for them.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I be compensated for the time I've worked?....?
I got a promotion at my job in January and its now March and I am still waiting on my pay raise. The DM keeps telling me that it is in the works. But i want to know if I can be compensated, if that ...

What type of lawyer helps the less fortunate? or is there a lawyer that works for non-profit organizations? ?

Wrongly Termination?
Hi I was offered a job last week for Google. Went ill from the 2nd day of joining. I was granted approved leaves. Before re-joining after 5 days with my medical certificates I was told that" We&#...

Is this workplace bullying?
Ok so, my Team Leader is always joking around saying that unless we do the right thing, the next mornign there will be box's on our desk to pack our stuff and get out.

Now yesterday! W...

Help finding job!?
Hi,
In australia we have a class at school called 'career and job' where we choose a job to go to for a week that we are interested in doin in the future. In the future i would very ...

Can an employer hire you and then reject you the next day?
I had an interview on Monday for a company. I was offered the position with demands. The company told me they would hire me only if I was able to start Wednesday and if I didn't report on W...

If i am a lawyer, what kind of job can i get at a bank?

Should I go to law school??
I am 23 with a business degree. My uncle who is not married and has no children has a law firm. He wants to give me his office. He currently has 500 clients so it is very successful. If I go to law ...

Is this legal? Is there anyone who has followed instructions completely after getting money grams?
My cousin's sister's nephew's brother, got an email from some dude in Africa, offering a P/T job for recordkeeping for a textile company that sells woven horse hair products all over ...

Can you be denied employment for having a green card?

I work 4 hours PT with a 15 minute break. Now my employer has asked us to take a 1/2 hour break off the clock.
This has now reduced my work hours to 3 1/2. Can he do this?...

Getting laid off? Serious answers please for 10pts?
What are the basics a company thinks for laying off a person?

Obviously the costs are the main reason for the lay off, but when you have 4 hard working people and one of them has to get ...

Whats the legal working age in Nevada?

My bosses are threatening to p-file me for refusing to work on my day off is this legal?

I am 14. Am i legal to work with a working permit?
if so, how or where can i get a working permit?
i'm 14 and is from houston, texas.
or am i already legal to work without a working permit?...

Is this legal?
Is a manager of a store allowed to ban employees from accepting tips from costumers? I work at Carvel, and my boss refuses to let anyone accept tips....

Can my employer deduct $s from my pay without my consent?
I live in the state of CO. While driving a company vehicle I had a fender bender. An oncoming vehicle swerved into my lane and I veered right to avoid it. When I did this I scraped the bumper of a ...

After i quit, my boss refused to pay for my outstanding paid holidays. Is it legal? (working in London)?
Worked for three and half month, Full time, 44 hours a week. No written contract but he mention 21 paid holidays per year. So i am entitled to 6 days paid holiday(took 1 day). His excuse was i ...

Can lawyers get hired as paralegals?
Since the legal job market is so tight, can lawyers get hired as papalegals in order to stay in the legal industry? Or are they overqualified and thus automatically disqualified?...

At my job I received an email through the work email that I felt was inappropriate for the work place.?
It was sent by the assistant manager to a bunch of male employees. http://208.116.9.205/10/
Not sure how I should handle this....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links