Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

In California, can you collect unemployment benefits if you quit your job?
Find answers to your legal question.

In California, can you collect unemployment benefits if you quit your job?

Or is it only for those who get fired/laid off from their job?

Rob B
In most cases, you can collect even if you quit.
The EDD will send a letter to your former boss asking if he is contesting unemployment. In most cases, the bosses are too busy or lazy to fill out the form and mail it back in. In other cases, they have no idea what the law is and ignore it.

Even if your employer contests it, you have a chance to have a hearing. California leans toward the employee in nearly every case. I've seen some pretty wacky cases where I thought there was no way the employee would win and they still did.

Sometimes, it also depends on why you quit your job. If you were being illegally discriminated against or harassed, they purposely made conditions so bad for you that you had no choice but to quit, or they told you to quit or be fired, you will likely get your benefits.

susied
There is one way you can quit and still collect unemployment benefits. That is if you can prove constructive discharge. In other words, you would have to prove that they deliberately made the work or the work environment intentionally unpleasant so that you would quit.

If you quit for no good reason, there is no way you'll receive unemployment benefits.

jo
Rating
Yes you can get unemployment if you quit, but you need to have all your ducks in a row. It would take me forever to find all the paperwork, so I am going off memory. Basically, you don't have to work at a job that is so dreadful it makes you physically or mentally "ill". I don't have the exact quote, but you get my drift. There would be hearings and you will not get it right away if you get it at all. You do not need any medical certification for this. His situation was extreme and his boss lied at the hearing and said that he fired my boyfriend. That was pretty stupid because his resignation email was time stamped. You do not have to legally give any notice other than to say "I quit" if you are an hourly employee. If you are salary, a contract is implied and legally you do need to give notice.

kapn
Rating
Nope..........everyone would do it...........

Judy
Normally no, not if you quit.

Deece 1
If you can Im movin there

*CeLiNe~FrEnChAdO*
no, not unless you got fired and have proof that youre looking for a new job. or if youre not physically able to work...

Joe
in most states its only those who are laid off or fired...i think it's federal thing.

JM
it's for those laid off/fired. you can try and apply but it's typically very difficult and takes months for them to even review your case.

edit. my hubby was laid off a few years ago and they did have a question asking if you were fired so technically you can try but odds are you won't get it.

♥Girly♫singer♥
Rating
Only for those who get fired

Pengy
Rating
In no state can you collect if you quit, if you could everyone would be quitting for the free money

SAM
I have worked for a company for 10 years and have had nothing short of stellar reviews. Over the past year staff have been making complaints to HR and contractors about me. Investigations were conducted and nothing was found except for minor infractions. Due to the turmoil, stress and hostility caused by the accusations, I have gone on medication and was recommended to leave my current employer for psych. and health reasons. I advised my supervisor three months ago I was looking at other employment due to the stress and hostile work environment and she took it as a resignation. I am now being pressured to leave my position upon the company finding a successor. What can I do to leave on my own terms and to ensure I receive unemployment benefits promptly?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What to do if my employee refuses to take their break?
It is a law? They would rather work instead . should i force them to go or is it a work law?
Additional Details
labor laws in ny?...

Can I do anything about racial comments at my work place without risking my job?
My boss in Canada used some nice words the other day.
He said something strange like "those blacks" and I was like what? You mean black people- as in African Americans? And he was ...

Is it legal to work 2pm to 10pm then next day start 7am and finish 3pm?
what is legal time off between ...

Can someone qualify for unemployment when terminated?
The job I have is a Call Center job. You answer phones. If you don't reach their quality standards, you are put onto a monitoring plan. 2 consecutive months on the plan and you're ...

Working the night shift as a security guard?
ok so i have my orientation this thursday to become a security guard. im going to request the night shift and am pretty sure i can get it. if i do work the night shift what would i be guarding. i ...

What do to about ungrateful employees?
Anyone got a great Christmas/Holiday bonus story? We handed out bonuses and only one thank you....

Wife was sacked from job...is there anything she can do about this?
My wife worked for a law firm (in the UK) up until yesterday, having been there less than a year without any warning, verbal or written she was given a letter saying her work was not good enough ...

Can i have a job at age 13 in wisconsin?

Time card records being withheld from me... is this legal?
I use a time clock punch system to clock in and out everyday (it's the kind that uses your hand for identifying you) so there isn't anything for me to copy at the end of a work week.
<...

If an employer promises me a job and doesn't give it to me, can I file a lawsuit?
In June I went on an interview. They said i'll be getting the job by July 2. Then they said it is going to be delayed until July 9. Then they said it will be delayed for another 2 weeks. E...

If you are laid off from a company that downsizes/reduces the workforce due to lack of work?
Are they obligated to hire you back if work becomes available?

My company laid me off in October, with about 10 other people. I now see a job (exactly like mine) posted on a job board. B...

How old to you have to be to get a job and you drivers license?

Clique of Older Ladies at Work?
I am about 15 years younger than the other woman that work in my department. When we are all together, they huddle up and basically exclude me from the conversation. One on one, we are fine, but ...

Do you need to work your full notice period when leaving to start new job?
Been with the company for 4 years. Scotland UK....

Can a manager call an employer insist he comes in to work?

Termination of employment, mistake?!?
Hello. Well due to the chance of a new job, I handed in my weeks notice to my wrk last Thursday. I have since thought, and realised i made a mistake and would like to stay. Is it too late to withdraw ...

Is It legal For McDonalds To withhold my check?
i am 15 and live in kansas and was recently fired from my job working for Mc Donalds. They are refusing to give me my last check until i return the uniform. the uniform was never given to me by the ...

Is your employer supposed to give you the last paycheck on your last day of work by law?
What can you do when your ex employer refuses to pay you even when you gave the appropriate 2 week notice. My ex-employer seems that they do not want to pay me for the last couple of weeks that i ...

Gave my employer permision to get info from mydoctor this info was given to a line manager from personel?

Additional Details
this information was for human resources ...

How much time you think ill get?
Im on felony probation in California for three years and i have a year left. I decided to go to Las Vegas without my p.o.'s consent because it takes days to her to get the paperwork and i had an ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links