Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is is legal to get served with a lawsuit at work?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is is legal to get served with a lawsuit at work?

is this legal? why is it legal? wouldnt it be detrimental to my standing at work if my employer or co-workers knew that i was being served?

Princess Leia
Yes, it is legal to serve you at work (at least it is in California). The process server is usually provided a residential (home) address and a work address. If you evade service at home and no one else resides with you, you cannot be substitute served.

However, if they try your work several times and you try to avoid service there, they can substitute serve you at work.

It's within the Code of Civil Procedure on how to properly serve someone.

emjay
Rating
sorry I don't know why it is legal, but it is. They can serve you anywhere they know they will find you because people normally try to avoid that. Must be embarrasing

LadyCatherine
unless you tell your employer what you are being served, they really are not going to know..

did this come up to you and let everyone know what they were handing you;..

being served is them just handing you a letter..and maybe you signing for it..

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the decent/ethical/legal/best supervisory decision to make?
Essentially, Sally interviews and offers a job to Mary when Sally's friend says "you have to meet Gene, he would be perfect for the job." After reviewing Gene's credentials, he IS ...

Questions for new employer?
My small company was recently acquired by a much larger corporation. Does anyone have any suggested questions I should ask of their management and/or human resources?...

Legal advice on rights to renters in Utah, regarding apartments, flooding, and lease obligations. ?
I currently live in an apartment in the SL Valley. Every time it rains the floor of the master bedroom floods. The apartment flooded all last winter and management claims they thought the problem was ...

Relocating with child and need sample letters since i cannot afford to pay a lawyer?
relocating out of fl to tx end of december, have kid with ex boyfriend, does not have relationship with my son, never married, never went to court for custody so no visitation matters, he is paying ...

When can I lay into my boss?
I was told I was being laid off but it won't go into effect until December. I'll get severance at that point. Would I risk losing it if I laid into him--as he deserves--the last week?...

I want to have a career in acting and my grandparents are putting me down becuz they want me to be a lawyer?
so what should i do because they are telling me that in a few years there are only careers in nursing, law, and comp engineering, my question is they think im being in fairy tale land or im just ...

Referring to my previous question...maybe deposition was the wrong word...?
my sons father used the union my employer...and fellow employees to get information for him ...so that he could try and use as much of it as he could in court to obtain custody of our son...when i ...

Legal woes involving motgage, co ownership, probate and family law. Any true advice as to how to deal? ?
I inharited a 450,000 dollar home with my sister. She had bad credit so we quick claimed her portion to me so I could borrow some equity and pay the steep taxes and do some renovations and blah blah ...

Can anyone Please help with these 2 Business Law Questions? ?
QUESTION 1) Dacia is working out the terms of a contract to purchase Reed’spaintings. Reed submits an offer in writing, which states that Dacia may have the first option to purchase each of his ...

Are employees suppose to sign off on their time sheets before having a check cut?
At work my boss makes me work over 20-30 minutes everyday. I called the payroll department and told them I wasn't paid for all the time I worked. They said, "You should have seen that on ...

Becoming a lawyer.....?
I always had trouble figuring out the right details necessary to become a lawyer. How many years of scooling is needed? How much English do you really need to know? Is extremely high marks in English ...

Is coaching and yelling at someone to change their will and spend their money on them a crime?

False accusations, Drama at work!!?
Saturday I was at work chatting with another co-worker Connie.

Connie:Kate keeps callin me to go hang out with her....I dont want to hang out with her.

Me:I thought she didnt ...

My concern about my health and job?
My employer is harassing me. He is not paying my dues on time and asking me to sign a contract. The contract is one sided and he already has lot of my due to pay. He is saying that he will not ...

Took maternity leave and now using my FMLA days to work partime but have to travel. can i resign and claim?
I have to travel out of state and don't want to be away from my child. If I resigned would I be able to claim in MI?...

I have a employment question?
Has anyone heard of a job offer in massachusetts that sends you a bus ticket and furnishes room and board in exchange for working for their magazine sales co? My friends son somehow came across this ...

Need to interview some who has work in the legal field assignment?
what made you work in the legal field?
was it easy to get into the legal field?
How long had you been working in the legal field?
What are the duties performed during a typical day?

How is the job market for lawyers?
I am a 1st year college student interested in studying law and going to law school. I would like to know how is the job market for lawyers coming out of college.
Additional Details
I ...

If a will is not found in a person's belongings,but they had a lawyer would the lawyer have the will?
ok my grandmother said there was a will before she died but we cannot find the will inside the house.She said she had a lawyer so my question is if she already talked to lawyer before she died ...

What is the average age of an Entry-Level Attorney?
Just curious. I'm 23, going on 24 and am just getting starting on this path to becoming a lawyer. I assume it should take 6-7 years, given what college courses I'd need to take so if ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links