Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is it illegal to have a yard sale everyday or weekend?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to have a yard sale everyday or weekend?

if it is ok with the neighbors

The Tron
Rating
No, go ahead and have one every day or every weekend if you'd like.

Jack X
Neighbors don't count. What matters is what your local zoning says. Many areas don't allow constant yard sales.

jimmymorrison@ymail.com
yes! city must give permission!

bpurd1
essentially, if you had a yard sale everyday you would be moving into the realm of what would be considered a business--much like a flee market--and therefore, barring complaints from neighbors, you would need local permits for conducting business--assuming you had the proper zooming

Look Away, I'm Hideous
Rating
if you have a yard sale everyday, you might be a redneck

KitKat
Rating
it depends on wher you live some places you can only have 2 a year some places you need a permit but some places that is legal

Michelle
Rating
It depends on what your city or township charter allows. Some cities are pickier than others. You can call your city hall and find out what their regulations are about yard sales.

Judy
It might be, depending on local ordinances. If you are having one every weekend, you have crossed the line from yard sale to a business. You would probably also be required to collect sales tax and remit it to your state.

Fashion & Horses Girl
Rating
yes it is illegal your only alloud to have a spesific ammount each year like 4 or 6 or something.

mike
find out your local laws.

Texas granny turtle
In my city they require a free permit, and only allowed 2 a year. We actually have a lot next to our house with different address and was not allowed to use it as it is not a house. Also rules about size and number of signs which I agree some with, and I get annoyed at persons that leave OLD signs up.
Anyone having sales every day is running a business and causing traffic concern.

ang_cute_q_tlga
yes if u sell always

CJ M
If you are using your property primarily for selling things you might be considered a business. Then the city might require you to get a license, and your home might not be properly zoned.

Some areas require a garage sale permit, but don't always enforce it. If you are constantly selling things you might be in violation of that statute. If your neighbors or someone else report you, you might be fined.

If your sale looks bad it might be considered a nuisance because it could devalue your neighbors property or bring in more traffic than usual. Again, your neighbors would be the ones to enforce this.

(This is not to be considered real legal advice. You should speak to an attorney in your area if you are concerned)

hr4me
Rating
Check your city laws and ordinances. Some cities have put a limit in place for how often you can hold a yard sale.

Damo
Rating
it might be - check with your Council

jonny wad
depends on what your local laws, and codes say

shamieya
It may illegal for zoning reasons. When I called the zoning office they said you can run a business from your home (in my area) as long as there weren't signs, and it didn't cause lots of cars to be parked around. That may be an issue if you have sales every weekend.

Depends on your state, but if you were to do that every weekend you would need to collect sales tax (if you live in a state that has sales tax). There is an exemption for occassional sales- 2 or fewer times a year. Above that, you begin to be "in the business of" selling. If you didn't collect there would be penalties. Depending on how much you make, there may be a similar threshold for income tax reporting.

Staszek G
Rating
Why go the trouble sell the stuff on the internet This is not even consider to be a form of selling its completely legal also here in Poland the Civil code here states that the owner has the right to do with his PROPIERTY what he wants that includes selling it !

Little. Miss. Sunshine.☀
YES - in Canada it is illegal to have more than 2 yard sales in one season. Also it gets really annoying when every week some neighbours put old junk out for sale and no body comes...and i know this because one of my neighbours have one all the time... eventually people stop coming because people dont want to buy other peoples junk ... so i suggest one or two because it can really piss the shyt out of people...

♥ Shadhiya ♥
it would be illegal . i preatty much depends on the neighbors you have

Caring girl.
I do not see why it would be but you would have to check.

Amy™
no, it's not illegal, and if your neighbors are okay with it, that's fine. (:

<3

★ JUICY ★
Rating
if it is illegal during the week that is stupid. if it is illegal and an officer tells you just say you did not know and don't do it again most likely he will check up some other time and make sure you are not out there.

but you would have better luck on the weekends

EnD
Rating
Its on your property. I don't see why would it be illegal.

greg m
nice question. i admire your questioning.

the answer is no!

this is a free country. but i imagine if your selling stuff day after day on a regular basis they'll try to tax your ***.

but now you bring up another point...

is it legal to sell stuff from one person to another if your not claiming this as a source of income on your taxes? No

WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT EVERYTIME A SEE A TAGSALE I AM LOOKING AT CONVICTS!

HARD TO BELIEVE GRAMMY MAY BE A HARDENED CRIMINAL!

Elizabeth
Yardsales are typically a Saturday only thing. Most people would be too busy during the week to go, and Sundays a lot of people have church so I'd stick to Saturday.

James Benton
I've never heard of it being illegal. Of course there are some crazy laws out there in certain states and counties. Like the one about putting ice cream in your pocket... lol. So you might want to check to make sure in your area.

James
Rating
As far as I'm concerned, no. I dont see why it would be, if you don't need any legal papers to have one once a year, why would everyday be different?

james P
i think you can have a yard sale whenever you want, but i think it's best to have them on weekends so that more people are off and that's when the yard sale crowd gets up early and goes hunting.

Rating
no why would it be

Colorfuldreams
Rating
i've never heard of that. i think it's fine. my mom used to do it, and it worked great for her.

sonnygrl67
I believe there should be a regulation on how many days.Which you can hold a garage/yard sales.I have a neighbor who has a yard sale at the most four days every week.It's annoying,to myself,as well as others.Those who visit either leave their radios blaring or park improperly.We've,asked ho

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it legal for my job to make me pay for the replacement of locks to business because I lost the keys?
there were too many keys issued, so there was theft of money, etc more than once so the owners had new locks new keys issued and made us sign papers saying we would have to replace the locks next ...

Is it legal for your employer to dock you an hour for being one minute late?
My boss MADE us sign a paper giving her permission to dock us all these crazy hours. I say made, because she said either sign it or get out. We're in Texas, so my co-workers and I were ...

What legal jobs can a 7th grader do?
I need money and fast. So what could I do to earn it, legally?...

Can my boss reduce my rate of pay if I demote myself?
Im returning to work after maternity leave but im switching to part time from full time and I have requested a position with less responsibility. Can he reduce my rate of pay?...

Is it an illegal terminatoin if your boss threatens your job if you dont go to a meeting off the clock?
this was a friday night meeting that has absolutely nothing to do with work. I declined now i dont have a job....

Im 17 and I worked 6 hours without a break, is this legal?
In uk....

Is it legal for your job to tap your work cell phone # ?

My husband has just lost his job can the company do this?
My husband has lost his job today and he walked out because he was given no notice he was told today was his last and that was it. He has worked for the company for a year and a few month and now the ...

Is Rape legal in Amsterdam?
I was just wondering is rape legal in amsterdam... me and couple freinds at school were just wondering XD and i wana prove them wrong..i wont say if i agree or disagree with it until i read answers.....

Can my employer refuse to pay me?
i recently had to take time off work to collect my son from the childminder and have been told by my employer i need to make the time back or take the time unpaid. is this correct procedure (in the ...

Is it illegal to be fired for calling in sick?
If I am a hardworking, dependable person who was been with an office for over a year and I call in sick once, can I technically get fired for that. Where can I find out more about this issue?...

What is the dumbest question you have ever been asked for a job?
I was once asked, as part of a police officer interview by Olathe Kansas police, "In a no-holds barred fight, could you hold your own?"

WTF?!?!
Additional Details
I ...

Work advice please ?
I have been in my job for 3 years now, a dedicated carer.I have now been told that they want me to start earlier or do night shift but i cant because i have children and i have always had the hours i ...

Am i being over the top?
just a quick question reguarding work... basically i work 9-5 monday to friday and next week our manager has put us onto shifts e.g. mon 8:30 - 16:30, tue 9:30 - 17:30, wed 8:30 - 4:30 and so on... ...

Can my employer give my job away because I go on maternity leave?
I was the supervisor at my job up until 1 day ago. I am pregnant and am to go on maternity leave in November. My job has already given my position away and told me that once I came back from ...

Can someone get sacked from a job?
if he's sick, and has always put in his sick note on time?
Additional Details
it my mate, its the 1st time hes gone on the sick in 10 years, hes a barman, and put in a sicknote last ...

Do I have to give a disabled person the job?
If interviewing for a job and a disabled arrives for an interview, who is more than qualified for the position, but is a very annoying person and would drive me up the wall, do I have to give them ...

Does any one know how many holidays i am due im full time and work in shop and dont get public holidays?
doe any 1 know wot im due holiday ...

Can a male employer search a female employee?
I have been informed that my line manager may start random searches at the end of work. Is that legal even with another female present?...

!i!i!Arrested for possession of marijuana and need job!i!i!?
hi im only 19 years old and iv recently been arrested for possession of marijuana and iv been trying to find a job but its hard as hell...
iv applied at even Wal-mart and i couldnt get a job ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links