Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is it legal for a company to not hire someone because they smoke cigarettes?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for a company to not hire someone because they smoke cigarettes?

Or would that be considered discrimination?

Steve D
It is perfectly legal and becoming an accepted way of doing business. Discrimination laws only protect against things that one basically has no choice over (race, creed, color, national origin). Smoking is a choice that actually impacts on an employer (more sick days used, higher health insurance costs, lower productivity).

Captain Feathersword
YES! Who pays for the workers Health and Life Insurance? The Company.

Doctor Deth
Rating
I don't think that falls in the legal category of discrimination - although they can make smoking forbidden in the workplace and maybe even anywhere on their property-I don;t see WHY they would refuse to hire just for THAT specific reason, when they can deny you smoking priveledges at work

leysarob
It's legal and the new wave of a lot of companies. It costs more to insure a smoker -- they need more breaks -- have more sick days, etc. More and more companies are going to either not hiring smokers, or making smokers pay more to be covered by insurance.

eyJude
Rating
Depending where you are?
And I agree with one above. Steve D
In another co that I worked for the "smokers" were constantly taking breaks... so every hour or so they were outside contributing to thier addiction.
the non smokers had to continue working.

cracker
Rating
its legal they can but its a loose one now i think if its a job in the food or medical field i agree its hygene however if it was a job in an office or in a workshop then its perfetic i always say i'm a non smoker on my job aplications you get more hits then i'll smoke away happy and free LOL

alicialions
I would think that would be descrimination.

Lex
Rating
It depends on the sort of product with which you're dealing and what sort of odor is clinging to you. It is legal not to hire you for that reason though.

Leon Rupert
I do not understand how it is legal not to hire someone because they smoke. Smoking is not against the law!! The next thing you know they will not hire people if they eat junk food, there are a lot more illnesses related to obesity, or bad diets than smoking. This is bull. Try to explain this to me.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

6 Days Mandatory for Salary Employee Legal?
I don't believe this is legal. Please confirm. Is 6 Days Mandatory for Salary Employee Legal?
Every salary employee here have to work 6 days because our boss said so. Is this legal?...

I am getting a background check today?
and i have a misdemeanor for shoplifting.. will it show up??? Will i still get the job???
Additional Details
i didnt get arreste, just a ticket and still have 2 go 2 court 4 it.. i'...

Demotion at work and pay reduced?
Recently some of the line supervisors where I work have been told that they are going to have there pay cut and somebody else was going to be doing the job that they have.Is this class as demotion ...

I was recently fired from my job after 6 yrs. due to attendance issues will I still be able to collect?

Can a workforce leave a trade union and act together without it?
We are a workforce of at least 400 working in the HUBs for TNT Express UK.
Our employer wants to reduce our wages by £100 PER WEEK.
Our current trade union, UNITE doesn't seem to be ...

I have been put on short working hours with my work mates, with our permission.?
The problem i have is that during the time that this has been running some of our workmates have lost no time and worked overtime, also now one section has been put back on 5 days and we all are ...

Co-Workers Asking What Type of Prescription Drugs On?
Is there any law against a co-worker, not a boss, asking what type of prescription drugs another employee is on? Then making a comment stating that it seems they have gone off their prescription ...

Two Weeks Notice?
I work in retail. I just got hired as a teacher and need to put in my two weeks. I wanted to give them a little more than two weeks as a kind gesture to fill my position. I am afraid they will say ...

What is a good career to major for helping people?
I love to help people. Although I don't want to be a teacher. I love being around people and talking to new people. Just I have no clue what to major in. Please help. T...

What are the POSITIVES about becoming a lawyer?
Thinking of going to law school....not sure!

I would love to help people, but I do want a family!...

Can you talk about discrimination when an employer asks to have a car as a requirement for the job?
Does it mean that the wage is not enough high to make monthly car payments loan ?
Additional Details
So, if you don't have a car ?...

Can Employers demand college grades if no degree is required.?
I work at at a place where no degree is required for my job. My employer is demanding my grades, and I'm in college, paying for myself. Can they legally demand to see my grades?
I asked ...

My employer stated that my breaks are not paid for that the time will be taken out of my check. Is this legal?

Hi my question is can i persue a law suit ?
i saw an ad in my college web site job listings for the state of new york it said starting was 10.50 and i applied , had an interview , and started the job and now the current salary is 10.11 and my ...

Can i collect unemployment if im fired due to illines?

Please help!!!!?
i have a question , i have a family member in need of a job, but he has a criminal record. what kind of job can he go and apply at ?????...

Which is the mostly highly paid lawyer?
i really need to know how much a lawyer earns but mostly what type of lawyer gets the most ...

Can a company re-hire for your position if they claim it was eliminated?
I worked for a company in Florida which I understand is an "at will" or "right to work" state and I can be let go at anytime for any reason.
The company went on a temporary ...

Executive administrative assistant credentials?
What is needed to become an executive assistant? Recommended degree? Any advice
Additional Details
pls only answer if you have advice regarding the question. Thanks, i'm not certain ...

Are there any lawyers that i can talk to..??
On thursday i got suspened for something i didnt do and wasnt aware of the problem.. theres word around that on monday when i got back from my suspension that they are going to fire me.. I know i ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links