Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is it legal for an employer to fire you without a reason?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for an employer to fire you without a reason?

I've worked for a janitorial company since March 2008. I have always been told that my cleaning was great and my supervisor was even going to put me into a leadership position. Now today she called me and said that she had to let me go. I asked her why and she said that under Michigan law she can't tell me. I asked her if she knew why and she said yes but I'm not at liberty to discuss that. Is it legal for them to not tell me why they are firing me?
Additional Details
Ok, so fine they can get away with it. I have a way to get even with them. I am going to put in bids to a few places that I cleaned and take them over. If they want to screw with me then I'll screw with them. I don't get mad, I get even.

evaana85
It's completely legal. Many of us (unless we belong to a union which has strong guildlines to follow) are "at will employees" and that basically means they can let you go for any reason, or no reason at all. All of that is spelled out in the paperwork you have to sign before you start working, it's usually thrown in there along with all the tax stuff you have to fill out.

As long as the firing wasn't because of an illegal reason (such as because of your age, race, religion, if you're pregnant, etc.) they employer was completely within their rights. Honestly, I don't know why an employer wouldn't tell an employee why they were being let go, but it happens.

There's not really much you can do here, unless you suspect they fired you for one of the illegal reasons I listed above. If you recently told someone you were pregnant, or discussed your religion with someone, I'd check to see if that got around to the boss. Depending on what kind of "evidence" you have towards that, you may be able to do something about it, but you'd have to have a pretty good case!

Sorry about it though, I live in Michigan too and I know the job climate here is really tough. I wish the best for you!

32 weeks pregnant with a boy
Yes it's legal, you could take them to court for it but then it would get thrown out, the judge either won't take it or the employer will make up a lie/excuse as to why they're not telling you..

Since they're not telling you, i highly doubt you done something wrong, it could've been someone didn't like you personally, they found someone else to do the job...

Judy
Yes, sorry, it's legal for them to just fire you and not tell you why.

tjmgyo
yes

Heather V
of course it is legal

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

The one factor in job success ....?
does "the one factor" mean "the only factor" in this sentence?...

My job is asking for a justification ?
my job is asking for a justification as to why they should pay for my schooling as a paralegal. Any help as to what I should say?...

Can employers issue written warnings by sms?
A workmate has been given a written warning by sms. Is this legal?...

Employer unwilling to pay travel time sfter we have clocked in and started work.?
If we are travelling somewhere that takes over half an hour to get to and over half an hour to get back, employer will not pay for that hour,meaning we have to do an extra hours work to make up our ...

Is this legal?
im on salary. when i first got hired i was told mon-fri. 8-5. saturdays and sundays were our days off. ocassionally they started wrkn saturday.
i have to wrk those saturdays without pay because ...

Can a convicted felon still work in the medical feild ?
can a convicted felon still work in the medical Field if he was convicted of selling and delivering of narcotic's ( oxy codeine's)...

Should i submit a written notice if i am giving my 2 weeks at work?

I have cancer and I am not able to work right now?
My boss is still paying me but is encouraging me to file for disability. I cannot walk right now due to tumor in hip but I could get better. What should I do?...

Can employer change my contract from fixed term to permanent without my agreement?
I started work 6 weeks ago on a 6 month fixed term contract with a view to extending at the end of that 6 months.

I received a letter from employer today saying I have now satisfied all ...

I was made redundant but now feels like I was pushed out.?
Have I been unfairly dismissed? if so i want to take action.

I worked for a small UK mortgage broker and I had been there for 3 1/2 years, I started with them when the company was small ...

My employer wants to force everyone to change thier contracted hours?
they have said that they need everyone to go frm 40 hour contracts to 44 hour flexible hours. they have given a set date for everyone to change and if they dont, the will terminate thier current ...

Just lost my job?
On Saturday I went to work and was fired. The reason given is because I had a bad attitude and told a shift manager I'm tired of this crap.(it never happened)
The employee hand book says I ...

Can I get fired for taking 2 weeks of unpaid leave?
friends of mine are moving cross country and asked me to help them move but when i asked my employer for the time off they said if I take 2 weeks I would be fired. Is this right? is this legal? the ...

Target hours at law firms....?
Forgive me if I'm being really dim here. I'm starting to look at solicitor training contracts for when I finish my degree and have noticed that many of them list 'target hours'. T...

Can actions (legal or other) be taken against a company for re-tracting a job offer after it is accepted?
Live in AZ, and all verbal discussions and agreements for job offer, acceptance, and pay. Can I even go to their HR dept for this act of unprofessionalism?...

Can I apply for job at a store that I was arrested at when I was 13 and now I'm 24?
When I was in the middle school, I shop lift at a clothing store and I was locked and charges were brought against me by the store, but I went to a retail theft class to keep it off my record, now ...

Is it legal to work more than 40 hours in 5 days if im 15?
im doing work experience and im working 42-43 hours in 5 days. is this legal as im only 15. ive been told it isn't. please help
Additional Details
i live in the ...

What are your legal rights if you want to take back a car you are not happy with?

Can a business restrain my self employed trade?
I had intended to take up a position with a local business. Basic terms were agreed. As a result of a number of matters, I was unable to take up the position. However, all parties were happy to ...

In the state of New York, can an employer deduct vacation time from you if you have run out of sick time?
I live in the Bronx, and I used up most of my sick time in the beginning of the year when I was pregnant. Can a company do this? Shouldn't they just not pay you for the days that you are out and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, July 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links