Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is it legal for my department to threaten to write me up for taking a sick day?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for my department to threaten to write me up for taking a sick day?

Massachusetts: I work in data mgmt. The policy here (spoken, I've never seen it in writing) is that 3 unplanned days out within 3 months is considered excessive. They threaten to write up a person who has "excessive" sick days (3+ in 3 months). Is that legal to be able to tell me when i can use my sick days? I think i might have tonsilitis right now, but i have to come into work to avoid being written up......

Glenn
Rating
I know it's legal for a employer to fire you for no reason at all.... thats all I know, but if they can go that far with out a reason, I'm sure it's "legal" to write you up.

leysarob
It is legal. You are hired to be at work. With such a tight sick leave policy it is up to the employee not to waste sick days -- save them for when you are really and truly ill, in need of a doctor's attention.

reichmanix
Rating
Go to work, get more sick and take a whole week off as per doctors orders, bet they will love you then

serialmom12
Rating
You need to ask more questions here. I work for a large company and Attendance is the most important thing that needs to be and stay good. BUT, we also have FMLA and Short Term Disability. I know with Short Term Disability you can not file a claim unless you're out at least 4 working days. It's possible that your company has this and you weren't out long enough so those 3 absent days counted against your attendance and put you over their objective goal.
Where I work the objective for attendance is to be under 2%, so to be there 98% of the time. (This equates to a little more than 5 sick days per year, but if you are a new employee it goes up quickly because you haven't worked enough time.)
Also check to see if your company has a Union contract so you can see their policy in writing.

Mel
yes, and no. the company can write you up for taking too many sick days; however, for your own serious illness you are entitled by law to use family medical leave (FMLA.) this is unpaid time that can be taken on a continuous or intermittent basis, for up to 12 weeks in any 12-month period. it requires a certification from your doctor.

rwa000
if that is their rules written or otherwise they can write you up, if they have told these are the rules then they are the rules weather you see them or not. if you have sick days this should not be an issue but some companies do watch given sick days for signs of abuse. By the way a day a month does sound excessive

jenel c
Rating
It all depends on how your contract is written. Or if you don't have a contract the company has rules. Investigate those rules to help you know your wrights better. Go to H R Human Resources at your work and ask. That's what their job is.Good luck.I hope your tonsillitis gets better.

charlie
Rating
well that shouldnt be the case if you are sick and you can produce a letter from the doctor or the hospital to prove your absence

?
Rating
If you knew the policy and still agreed to be employed there then yes it is legal. If you didn't know the policy then I would say they should only give a verbal warning and then the next time write you up.

Bonnie
Rating
Join a union and have a word with your doctor too. You can't help being ill and it seems very unfair to write you up for just 3 days. What if you get the flu? Thats a full week off. Your doctor would have something to say about that because doctors say that if you are ill you shouldn't go back to work too soon because you will make yourself more ill.

Francesca Thomas
Rating
Dont you get a minimum of 5 paid sick days per year?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it against the law for employeers to not hire if u have a felony?
Here in michigan the empolyeers plan out say if u have a felony dont even apply. but what if u do but is has nothing to deal with the work. U have a great work history but because u need to more ...

Is it true that you don't have to work the last day of your two weeks notice?
I used to work at marshalls and I was informed that I didn't have to come and work my last day and that it was optional.

help ...

Is it legal for a.........?
5 year old to marrie with parenetel cosent

p.s this is just a question i would never do that i just whant to no
<...

If you boss/supervisor gives bad reference about you, can you put a case against him in court?
Can you do anything about it?
Additional Details
If you have a source, please add it. Thanks....

What can he do, really? My husband was "let go" for "refusing to take a post-accident drug test but he DID go!
We moved this weekend. It had been planned for months. Friday night my husband's employer asked him to work Saturday night 3-midnight. Because he IS such a loyal, honest employee, he went to ...

Sunspended from work?
i have been sunspended from work. on a number of serious allegiations, on full pay, i ownly no one of theres allegiations and that the one i have been sunspeded for, what i need to no is wile i am ...

If someone at work treathens me.,provoke's me i loose my temper and hit that person can i be terminated?

Is it legal for my employer to have an "All employees must wear deodorant" policy?

My girlfriend has to make up working hours from last year is that legal?

If a job says meets national minimum wage, what does that mean?

Additional Details
pathfind... im UK...

Is this against the law?
A few years ago, I applied at a TCBY yogurt in Charlotte, NC. Three weeks have passed since application I come in and ask the girl about my application. You know what she told me? She told me the guy ...

Can an employer change my hours even if I disagree.?
I work for a large well known company who have served me with a 30 day notice to significantly change my hours. I have worked for the company for 15 years and in the current department for 8. The ...

Do i still pay holiday pay if my employee quits?
he has worked for 8 months and just walked out , he has taken no holidays in that time .
am i still liable to pay holiday pay .
i'm not shy of paying it .in contract it was 1.6 days a ...

Anyone know where I can get free legal advice?
I'm about to made redundant but feel that I've been discriminated against. I have some evidence to back up my beliefs, but wondered if anyone knew of anywhere I could get some free legal ...

Is it illegal to be asked how old you are in a job interview?
I'm curious if it's illegal to be asked your age by your interviewer in a job interview. Is this true? And is it a federal law. I'm from the U.S. FL...

I left my job but now they are refusing to pay me for 50 hrs work (which they missed out when doing my pay!)?
Hi, I'm a student and I got a summer job at Ben and Jerry's from July till November, however I have only just got round to sorting out my payments (due to medical reasons) and my employers ...

How much notice does an employer have to give to change your working hours or holiday?
we have had to save 3 days holiday for christmas shutdown from begining of january this year they are now saying we might have to come in and pay us for not taking the holiday ...

Is this legal?...somehow it just doesn't seem right...?
Is it legal for a district manager of a fast food restaurant to install cameras all over the entire restaurant (except bathrooms) so he can sit at home and watch the workers at all times, remove the ...

Is there any legal action I can take in California if my boss calls me fat?
So, I'm 16 and I work at a gym. For the past couple of weeks, my boss has been calling me fat and making fun of my red hair. I know I work at a gym but, it does feel inappropriate for an ...

Can they extend my trial period at work after the trial period is expired and I should be permanent?
I started working for this company th 20th of October.
The 29th of January that is more then three months later, they have decided to extended my trial period.
Is that legal? Because I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links