Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is it legal in New Jersey that if you work over 40 hours per week, a company does not have to pay time & 1/2?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal in New Jersey that if you work over 40 hours per week, a company does not have to pay time & 1/2?

The company that I just started to work for says that if I work over 40 hours per week that I just get straight time and NO time and 1/2, does anyone know if that is legal?

rwa000
Rating
it depends are you hourly or salary, if salary than you get no o.t.

BEDLAMB
Rating
No it isn't. Labor laws are set by the federal government. Even if Jersey had a law that said otherwise, fed law would superceed it.

The only industry exempt is agriculture.

lrr
i think that it is not legal unless you are in food service then that is the case

leysarob
Rating
It might depend upon who you work for and if you're considered seasonal or not.

For most people, most industries, anything over 40 is paid at time and a half. Check the NJ Dept of Labor website

Jeff
Rating
If you are an hourly worker no it is not legal, however if you are in sales and get a commission or are salaried then yes the can. Also some places work a schedule the gets them a four day week every other week. The work 9 hours a day for 9 days the get the 10th day off for a three day week-end.

mr.bixby
Rating
If your salaried yes, if it's hourly, no. Thank God the Bush Administration didn't get it's way on this one.

kapn
Yep.............but check you contract.........if you have one......

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Unpaid Mandatory work meeting without pay?
Iím trying to prove to someone that it is illegal for an employer to have a unpaid mandatory meeting. I canít find a legal source. Her boss made her go to a meeting at her house on a Sunday. She ...

My boss said if I screw up he'll kill me, and then later in the day for no reason he punched me in the face.?
What should I do, I want to quit now but I'm scared of him. I'm just a 19 year old university student and he is a very scary guy who works in the nightclub industry. I want out very badly....

Can i be terminated from my job while out on medical leave?
i was terminated from my joe after going out on medical leave for 3 months i had a return date but was termed 3 week before returning to work company policy is that you can be out for 6 ...

Can an employer legally terminate you based on an inaccurate date in your past employment history?
I was terminated by Citigroup because the date on one of the jobs that I had listed on my application didn't match what they verified through that employer. The start date that I had listed was ...

I may have a job at shells gas station but there doing a background check & i have a warrant?
because i was driving without my liecense and they gave me a court date & I didnt show, which means a warrant will be issued out.will the warrant show up on my background check? and hold me from ...

Collecting unemployment?
My husband got fired from his job and he says he is going to go collect unemployment. At what percentage does it pay? What are reasons you would be denied?...

My former employer is bad mouthing me?
my former employer is accusing me of taking 200 dollars i did not do it.but they put it in my file that i did and they said i signed a paper saying i did, but i never signed on type of paper how can ...

Is it illegal for employers to require a photo with your resume?
I've been told its a form of discrimination, because they can use a photo to discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, etc. Does anyone know of laws to this effect? A link would be ...

Will a backround check look at previous employment or just criminal charges?
If they look at previous employment will they look at if I am eligible for re-hire? and will they look at why I am not eligible for re-hire?...

Should I search for another job now?
I am a project worker. I am an HR assistant to Training & development but i am still under a man power agency. My contract will end by the first week of june. I asked the Personnel Officer what ...

Which of these should i be when i turn 20?
A:Military marine.
B:Photographer.
C:Police/SWAT Officer.
D:Astronaut....

What do you do when your boss starts yelling at you at work ? - ?
The yelling had nothing to do about work....

Illegal for employer not to pay for the hours you worked just because you forgot to clock in?
At my husbands work the have a new rule that if you forgot to clock in you can't do anything about it, and that the time you worked off the clock is counted as "voluntary work" I don�...

My girlfriend quit her job today. Her Supervisor told a coworker that shes not going to give my girl her check
So her supervisor mentioned that since my girl quit unexpectedly shes not going to give her her check until monday. Can she do that?...

Does a company HAVE to give me a job application if I ask for one?

When you accept a job, is it possible that you can have a trial of the company as well they do with you?
You know how a company might have a 3 month trial and if you are not up to the job they can get rid of you, well can an employee have the same deal, so if a job's not what you expect or you don&#...

Starting a new job as a supervisor?
Help! I am starting at a new company as a supervisor. The job I currently have is a bus driver. New job supervisor over 400 bus driver @ another company. So every bus company works with the other, ...

Can I quit my job straight away?
I have just started a temporary christmas job today and it lasts until christmas eve but it's so tedious and I really not that desperate for some extra cash so i don't feel its worth the ...

If you're a member of a job agency, but also have a permanent part-time job, would you be breaking the law?
This is assuming the person in both jobs doesn't receive benefits or anything similar.
Additional Details
I'm talking about if one had a part time job not found through the ...

Out of work while pregnant?
at my job, i lift around 20,000 lbs a day. i work for a grocery store wharehouse. anyway, i am pregnant, and can't do the lifting because i am on a weight lifting restriction. i applied for ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links