Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Is "not eligible for rehire" status legal?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is "not eligible for rehire" status legal?

I worked for a wonderful company for 6 years and had great relationships with EVERY person I worked with (no exaggeration). After some personal problems where EAP was involved, I was finally let go for excessive absences. About 4 years after the incident, I attempted to reapply with a recommendation from the company's TOP PRODUCER. They would still not hire me because my file listed me as "ineligible for rehire". I was in a management/leadership position, had just been promoted and never put anybody at work in any kind of danger...it was simply an attendance issue. Is it legal for them to label my file "not eligible for rehire"?

AngeloElectro
Rating
It is legal for a company to place a rehiring status on an employee's file. If you had excessive absences, the company may have needed to scramble in order to cover your responsibilities. Your absences created difficulties. Clients and customers could have suffered. You were in a management position, so it probably was not easy for the company to shift your workload to others.

4 years have passed. You have the recommendation of the company's top producer. I would suggest that you write a letter to the director of human resources, and copy the company president. In your letter explain why you had excessive absences 4 years ago. Explain it will no longer be a problem when you are rehired, and give reasons why the problem no longer exists. Explain that you very much wish to return to work for the company, and enjoyed your experience in the past. Point out reasons why you would be an asset to their operation. Highlight the skills and knowledge you would bring.

Concede that the absences were a burden to the company at the time, but you know you can make a viable contribution and would like another chance to prove yourself.

If you want the job, don't give up. As a manager, or former manager, you should show respect for their company policy. Your goal should be to change one little mark on your employment file from "Status: ineligible for rehire", to "Status: active employee, rehired".

Work through the proper channels. Be persistant. Show that hiring you is to their benefit. Good Luck.

schufs
It doesn't matter whether it is legal or not. You are asking a company who you used to work for and was terminated for excessive absences to reconsider hiring you years later. There is nothing that anyone can do to make them even consider re-hiring you. That is their choice. It's nice that their top producer is willing to recommend you but, again, it is up to them.

shelcom
Rating
Of course it's legal. Why the hell wouldn't it be? Any company can hire or not hire as they choose.

Mel
Yes, it is. The employer has no obligation to rehire an employee who was dismissed for any reason. Sorry.....

Debra S
http://www.medhunters.com/articles/dearCPNotEligibleForRehire.html
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5088002.html
If I was the employer and had to choose between a person who had excessive absences, or someone new, I'd go for the new person. If you have a lot of absences, how does your work get done, how does the company know they can rely on you to get the job done??
Yes, they can legally put not eligible for rehire on your file.

Robert F
Since it's listed at the company that fired you, it's legal. Maybe a suit could come from not goign into detail on way you were fired, or ruining your rep.

CatLaw
Yes, it is legal. There is no legal requirement that a company rehire a former employee. It does not matter if the employee was terminated by the company or if the employee quit. No rehire is policy that many companies follow.

dr steve ramsey
thats rubish, it is up to the court the no rehire policy is againist the civil right. we all pay tax we all work in the same country and we all buy and sale to each other we all must be able to work, resign, or be rehired if we have the skills, expeirence and education need it for the job. DR SAAD RAMZI ISMAIL ( STEVE RAMSEY) ALBERTA- CANADA

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I left my 1st job after training &other job I worked on contract basis,left after 3 week both din't pay me
I was trained for 3.5 months and I left the job but they did not pay me for the last month. After that I took up a job on contract basis and left after 3 weeks but they are refusing to pay me. I did ...

What age can i start work?
I am 11. Does any one know if I could start work yet and if not what age do i have to be?...

I was terminated...?
I was at the end of my 6 mo probationary period. I felt I was doing a fantastic job. However, my supervisor turned me loose. I really feel it's because she just simply didn't like me. I ...

Can i be fired while i am on vacation?
I just came back from vacation and we got a new manager (radio shack). I have not been back to work yet as I was not scheduled to work this week for some reason. My friend who is assistant manager ...

My grandma is forced to work overtime, help?
My grandma wants to stay working, but only on her regular days which is Monday through Wednesday. Now, with black friday they are forcing her to work from 4am to 9:30 pm and then 11 hours on Saturday....

Are employers allowed to say you can't go outside on your breaks?
In KY, employers are required to allow a 10 minute break for each 4 hours worked. Are they allowed to say you can't go outside or leave the building during those breaks? I feel like, since it�...

Employer asking me to send full credit card statement for purchase verification. Is this legal?
I purchased airfare and turned in my itinerary from orbits which shows the cost but not how I paid for it. So now my company is demanding I give them my full credit card statement in order to be ...

I have a law degree but did not pass bar. Is it worth it to get paralegal cert. for more $$?
Legal assistant jobs don't pay very much without a paralegal cert. and I have a family to support immediately. I also have very little "legal" experience besides summer internships ...

I need help writing a 2 week notice letter for KFC because i'm quitting today?
I don't know what to say, but i'm quitting today, and i'm probably going to get a job at a clinic, i alrready applied and i need to go to orientation soon....

Isn't being a lawyer a dangerous job?
or is it just ...

Am I entitled to have a copy of what i sign?
The company I work for decides to lay me off due to the restructure of the company. My manager presents me the letter to inform this change. In the letter, my company spells out the reason of this ...

Is it legal to take 3 weeks vacation at my current company and then quit but start elsewhere during that time?
I want to take my 3 weeks of vacation at my current company now. DUring this time, I want to start at my new company...I intend to tell my current company that I quit at the end of the 3 weeks...but ...

Im an office mgr. I have been MADE to sign a time card w/out being given a reason. I am the only 1 in the comp
I have worked as an office manager for about a year now. Out of the blue last week the HR manager said that I have to fill out and sign a time card. When asked why she said because its the law, ...

Minimum Wage Legal Question?
So, minimum wage increased on January 1, 2009. Everyone here in Fl are all making the same amount because corporate cannot seem to get their act together and increase our rates to the equivalent of ...

Is there a law that states that companies should give retirement benefits?

It's there a law that protect you while you work as a temp for a company?

I work at a restaurant and was charged by my boss for an item that was made by mistake because of me. Legal?
So, by mistake, TWO items were made, when the customer only ordered one. The extra item was put in a to go box, and my boss took the value of that item out of my tips for the night. I took the item ...

Car fill of balloons in a shopping centre legal? ?
Hi i was wanting to buy a new car and put it in a busy shopping centre and then fill it with ballons and the person to guess the right amount takes the car i think it would be a good money maker and ...

Do traffic tickets count on criminal history or background checks?

Do you think the employer will get back to me?
I applied for a job about a week ago, and the man who answered my e-mail said he would get back to me shortly. Do you think he actually will get back to me? He is a partner in the business....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, July 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links