Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Legal rights for being fired for insubordination?
Find answers to your legal question.

Legal rights for being fired for insubordination?

My company has us turn in timesheets on Sat, but I was unable to show to the office becuase they gave me to much work to do that morning about 80 miles away from office. I called my supervisor up and let him know I wouldn't make it into the office that morning because i was overbooked. He said thats fine we will do your timesheet next week. So I turn my timesheet in on tuesday the next working day for me, and on friday about 4:00 HR called me to let me know they had my paycheck at the office and he would be their until 5:00 to pick it up. Well I have direct deposit and didn't know why they had my check in the office. I call him back and ask why it didn't get directly deposited, and he said it was becuase I didn't fill out a timesheet.(Even though my Sup said it was ok) I could't make it to the office in an hour so I told him to have it ready on Sat. I was really upset picked up my check Sat. told them I was sick and left. Then they fired me for no timesheet.

michr
did they fire you for no time sheet or because you mouthed off?
without the needed amount of time direct deposit wasn't possible but they made an extra effort to get you a pay check by Friday and you ran your mouth about it, correct?
was your supervisor wrong, maybe but you were still paid on time at (most likely) an added expense to the company.
you were probably terminated for insubordination for what you said and how you said it to the person who had your check for you.

file for unemployment insurance, you may not get it but you never know until you try. learn to control your temper even your writing shows you have a little bit of one.
often how things are said are much more important then what is actually said.

smedrik
Rating
IT isn't uncommon that if your payroll isn't ready on time then you don't get direct deposit. It is mostly because direct deposit actually cost the company money, and thus because it wasn't submitted with the batch would have cost the company and additional processing fee.

Most states allow you to fire at will, thus they really do not need to justify their reasoning.

However there are a few point which I am confused about, were you scheduled to work that Saturday, was there any exchange of words? Those could be justifiable reasons to let you go if you live in a state where they do need cause.

chasewystone
In general, employers need no reason to lay off or fire an employee. There's little you can do about what happened, other than dealing with the consequences. It's entirely possible that they did not care for what you said or how you said it (something to keep in mind for the future).

Some companies use the term "insubordination" when firing an employee so as to keep you from filing unemployment. When the EDD requests reasons for your dismissal from your previous position, the word tends to be strong enough to deny you any benefits. You can fight this, though, so keep your chin up!

Think of it this way, too... would you really have wanted to stick with a company that treated you this way with your PAYCHECK????

morrisville75
Mostly can fire you for whatever they want, not much you can do about it now. Could try to sue only way to get any money out of it. I would not want a job back that they fired me over

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I got caught with marijuana... can I still go to law school?
I got caught with a small amount of marijuana 10 years ago as a minor, and was arrested. Recently I started looking into applying for law school, and apparently I must disclose any arrests, even as ...

Is this legal regarding work?
I work at a mall where the store gets charged $100 for every hour it's not open. The owner of the store has decided to take $50 from the pay checks of whom ever opens the store late. Can she do ...

Missing a few hours during job probation?
I just got a fulltime job. And it will start from next week. I will be under probation. However, now, I have unavoidable interview for my permanent residency withe the US immigration on the 10th of D...

If moving to the USA, NYC in particular.........?
With a law degree obtained in the UK, what would I have to do to begin practicing law there? Any help whatsoever on this subject would be very much appreciated. Is it difficult to transfer over, and ...

Is it worth me pursuing a law degree at 26 yrs. old?

What is back ground check that is being performed during hiring? What are the areas that the employer look in?
What are the tests the employer will perform during the background check? Ex; Criminal record/ credit checks/ drug policy/. I was terminated from employment (for not reaching the targets of the ...

If a person has accrued paid vacation days and puts in a two-week notice to discontinue employment...?
is the person, by law, entitled to be paid for the vacation days? please give sources to your answer- eeoc, labor laws, etc.

the location is ...

Are there any attorneys out there who are involved in employment law that will answer a question I have?
Listen, I worked at a resort in Montana for 5 months where I had been given outstanding performance evaluations, fufilled my contract, never been suspended, and had managers giving potentiall ...

Legal Secretary who wants to go to University, with no idea what to study. Any advice?
I qualified as a Legal Secretary when I was 18. I've been working as a Legal Secretary now for 3 years but I really want to go to University, I just feel as though I missed out and really want ...

Can a supervisor tell you your job isn't safe once your work mate retires?
im aware acas is a good place to get info on employment issues so im really looking for anyone who has had similar happen to them what did you do are you sure of your rights? my ex workmates still ...

Is it really legal in Michigan to Hire and Fire people like a game every 6 months?
I use to work for this place and have noticed in the past 2 years that there are ads in the paper for a job for the same position in there at least every 6 months. I am a bit concerned that this is a ...

I need a job that wont care about my criminal history.?
I recently moved to Dallas. I got in trouble 8 years ago for shop lifting at WalMart, its a misdemeanor. Yeah I was really stupid but I was a teenager and that is behind me now. I'm getting ...

Career GUidance?
I am Sunil from Mumbai. I am 31 years physically disabled person. I am Mcom from Mumbai University year 2000. I have basic knowledge of computer. I havenít got any job yet due to my traveling ...

False Resueme ???
I graduated from college 4 years a go and the jobs, that

I want require a 2 to 5 years experiences.

Now,

I decided to make up a well cooked resume to sell

Maryland IT Company Not Paying H1B's?
I am working for a very corrupt IT company (trying to get out) in Maryland. I've only been there a few weeks (I am an IT Recruiter), and have since learned this comapny hires H1B's, brings ...

Work permit in california question?
do i have to get a work permit first or first apply for the job?????...

Sacked for theft without proof... can my employer give me a bad reference?
Well, i was sacked from my last job on suspicion of theft but there was no evidence, i.e. no cctv, no witnesses etc.
So if i apply for a new job, can my ex-employer tell them i was sacked for ...

Do I need a degree and license in paralegal in other to render legal services for money?
I have a degree in Philosophy and i realy do not want to go to law school. But i want to have my own office where i can render legal services to the public. What step do i need in other to achive ...

What's the law on...?
past managers being able to tell prospective employers negative things about your work performance. one of my previous supervisors told me that they cannot legally tell people negative things about ...

Resignation letter not being accepted?
I joined an MNC BPO 11 months ago and did well in the job. It's a voice process for US client (credit cards). One mistake what I have done was submitted the profile (as told buy our managers and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links