Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Sacked whilst on sick?
Find answers to your legal question.

Sacked whilst on sick?

my partner has been off sick with a doctors note for 3 days yesterday he received a letter from work stating he was sacked, because he had time off he has worked there for over 5mnths and had 5 days off. Can you get sacked when you are on the sick or do they have to wait until you return? his doctors note was for 3 weeks

Adze
Rating
Once i was sacked when i broke my arm
so i went down too the job centre and asked
if they could do this ? the reply was,You can
give your notice in and finish with the firm
so they can do the same.So that is what
happened to your fella,unfair ? yes but
what else can he do but stay on the sick
till he finds another job like i did.

Scooby Doo 3
it depends on if he was on a 6 month trial period.

if not, and he has signed a contract he could take them to the cleaners.

Im stuck in your brain
Rating
It depends on what their reason is. If it's a legitimate reason, yes they can.

If it's obvious they're making something up to get rid of him over this, then he can always try to fight it.

tereesrgreen
Rating
the company has no leg to stand on as they can only have sacked him if he had, had both a verbal and written warning from the management staff, if i was you get him to ask for a reason why he was sacked and then go from there but in answer to your question no they can not sack you if you are on the sick with a valid doctors note.

gail
Rating
Sorry to have to say this but he is classed as too sick too often and has broken his contractual agreement to turn up for work.
5 days off in 5 months now a sick note for three weeks is not abiding by his contractual agreement.
Needs of the business i;m afraid and he won't have a leg to stand on.

tah_london
suerye is right. i remember a case when somone was so friendly in her call centre job and loved the job and worked there for 8 months. she was sacked because she was too friendly with the people over the phone.

12 months or less = no rights.

vicky r
I suspect that he was still working his probationary period which means they would be able to sack him without giving warnings.

If he was not probation he may have been sacked unfairly because they have to give a verbal and written warning, unless he has been sacked for gross misconduct.

Seems really unfair though you can't help being sick and I don't think that 5 days is excessive!

Han
Did he sign a contract? If so, then no they cannot sack him just like that. He has grounds for unfair dismissal.

See the CAB for advice on what to do next.

LILLY J
They cannot sack you without a warning and not while you have a valid doctor note, they have to wait until you return to work. Contact a solicitor, most offer first session free and can advise you on whether you have a case or not.

If no contract has been signed then they can sack you.

fengirl2
I disagree with all previous answers. If you have been employed for less than 12 months, you can be dismissed for any reason, except one connected with discrimination.
If your OH thinks he has been discriminated against (eg, is his sickness the result of a disability), then he can take action, otherwise, the employer is within his rights to dismiss.

Bo P
you can get sacked while off sick you have to look at their policy. they usually have a formal process to do it but maybe ur partner lucked out and works somewhere they have a policy that sacks you if you have x days off. if you cant do the job cuz ur sick, yes they can sack you.

scott t
Rating
Is a tough one. I'd say get in touch with acas. My old place try to sack me cos i'd been off for 3 months with a bad back, that was after working there for 11years!! Loyalty eh?! I think at the end of the day they can do what they want

Leave this place, run
Get the next appoinment with the CAB solicitor.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I get sacked from my job - charged with GBH?
Job don't know but I will be in court soon. I don't want to lose my job as it would look bad for court. Do I have any rights about this? Work in a hotel....

UK only...do first aiders at work get paid?
is there any legislation to confirm this? at the moment i am not being paid for this extra responsibility...do my employers have to pay me??...

Im in desperate need of a job.. considering stripping?
Im almost 18 and I've been looking for a job since I was 14. I still havnt found one. I would do anything for a job and Im considering stripping soon. This would break my families heart and Im a ...

Can I ask an employer why I was rejected when I thought the job was perfectly suited for me?
Is there anything I can demand from them in regards to the Freedom of Information Act, such as credit report information they obtained, etc?...

Is this legal or against the law?
I have been looking for the answer to this question for some time, but no one could give me any clear answer.

Perhaps the knowledgeable members of the Yahoo community can give me a answer.<...

Guaranteed working hours. .?
I pay one of my employees 40 hour basic week plus 5 hours guaranteed overtime. Sometimes he works the overtime and more and other times he only works 40 hours but gets paid for 45. He is not happy. ...

Is it legal for a company to keep all of your "sick/leave time" if you just can't use the hours up in time
I still have over 120 hours of "leave time" that has to be used up before December 31, 2007. I have tried to use it but I am a supervisor and when I leave even for a few days...well it'...

I am about to get a job at Otis Spunkmeyer as a delivery driver. Anyone know if they do drug testing there?
(i smoke a little of the wacky-wacky)
Additional Details
SH#*$!! :)...

Im turning 15 and want a job. i want to no is it legal 4 me to work? any1 have any ideas where to work.?
i live in NY. I really want a job badly. Does anyone have a suggestion where to work?...

How long can an employee work you with no break or lunch.?

Can I collect unemployment if I quit my job?
I'm not a scumbag and trying to get free money. I had a job that was an hour and a half away. The company told me they would transfer me to a closer location, but when some moves were made I ...

How hard do you think it is to get accepted into Harvard law school?

How do you cope with the fear of death?
I want to be a Police Officer, but I know that there will always be a sort of fear of what can happen on the job. Is there any way that you deal with this? Just be optimistic?...

Can you fire someone from a job with no question if they have been there less than 12 months?
If someone you've taken on isn't even though they've been spoken to on a few occasions, doing the required job or pulling their weight, can they be sacked? The post has been in ...

When im 14 were could i work??
im 13 right now but i iwll be 14 in january i would like t get some money were the best place me and my friend could work at
Additional Details
well i live in flordia you can be 14 to ...

Can my employer legally cut my rate of pay without giving me notice?
I have worked for my present employer for four years, full time. However I recently stopped working full time hours as I have started another job, but I continue to work part time. In this week'...

Am i still entitled to job seekers allowance?
i've just got myself a months trial in a job but they told me to sign off when i rang up, i forgot to mention im only working 4 hours a week so it isnt full time, do i still have to sign off?...

My friend's employer called to verify her doctors note. Can they do this?
She's pretty sure they just wanted to check and see if she REALLY had an appointment and not sneaking off to a job interview. The appointment really was legit but she felt a little violated and ...

I did a dumb thing, can I be sued for it?
I worked for a co for 2 weeks and tried to straighten out the office and his books, but I could not work for the owner because he created a high stress environment. We yelled daily at each other ...

What are some professions that will be in high demand in the next few decades that pay 100k?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links