Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Semi-Monthly Pay Period NOT 86.67 hours?
Find answers to your legal question.

Semi-Monthly Pay Period NOT 86.67 hours?

I just started a new position for a small company that pays semi-monthly (7th and 22nd). I am a non-exempt employ and last pay period, my check only showed 80 hours. HR states they dont pay 86.67 hours every pay period because I only worked 80 hours for the pay period....after doing the math it doesnt add up. Am I missing something becaues I think they are wrong......40 hours a week, times 52 weeks in the year, divided by 24 pay dates in the year = 86.67 hours per pay period? How do I argue this matter with HR/Payroll?

hr4me
Rating
You need to look at the calendar and figure out the number of hours you actually worked during the pay period in question. If you were salary (not paid by the hour) then it would average out to be 86.67 hours per pay period. If you are a non-exempt employee then you would only be paid for hours you actually work, not an average number of hours.

Judy
Well, how many hours DID you work for the pay period? Depending on how the weekends fall, you might have only worked 80 hours. Find out when the pay is actually for - it won't end on the day your paycheck is due if you are paid hourly, since they'll need at least a few days to total everything up and produce the checks. You should be paid for the hours you actually WORKED during that payroll period - it won't be the same for every payday. Some pay periods will be a little more, some a little less, than the 86.67 hours.

Expert Realtor
Your math is wrong.

There are 26 pay periods if you get paid every two weeks.

24 if you get paid twice a month.

If you are employed full time, there are 2080 full-time working hours in a calender year.

You are confusing pay period with a pay day. If you are a non-exempt employee, you only get paid for your punched hours. You need to find out what they consider a work week to be.

So if you only punch 80 hours, then that is all they have to pay you.

You keep arguing this matter with payroll and you'll be finding a new payroll...b/c you'll be out of a job.

Mel
Rating
You are correct in your calculation. This is the difference between a semi-monthly pay period and a biweekly pay period. (2080 annual hours / 24 weeks vs. 26 weeks.) You are right, there can be a disadvantage to the employee in this situation.

However, as a non-exempt employee, you should only be paid for hours actually worked. If you worked 86 hours in the pay period, you should be paid for 86 - 80 at straight time and 6 and 1.5 times (or whatever the appropriate OT calculation is - 1.5x, 2.0x, etc.) If you work 80, you'll be paid for 80.

cogenerate
I've been paid bi-monthly before and this is how it works:

Your statement should say what days the pay period covered. Add the hours you worked each day within the specified range and see if it exceeded 80 hours. Normally what they do is adjust the applicable range so that only full weeks are included in any one pay period.

By this method, 20 of your paydays each year will be for 80 hours while 4 paydays will include 120 hours (assuming no overtime).

It's actually rather handy since you plan your budget on the 80 hour check. When the "big checks" come in you have a little extra to treat yourself. They tend to be spaced pretty well, too. About every 3 months expect a nice bump to your normal payday.

Just look at the "effective period" or something like that on your statement... it will specifiy what days were covered by the present paycheck.

Hope this helps.

Almond
Rating
did you account for holidays?

Lori
Rating
They probably hired you salaried based on 80 hour pay period, regardless of how it falls on the calendar your only paid for 80 hours a pay period, when your salaried that's perfectly legal to do. But if you feel it's wrong just go to them and say I'm not understanding this, when I figure it out I do it this way (then say what you said in your post), then say am I doing something wrong, can you please break it down for me so I understand. If you ask that way it's more like your looking for help rather than accusing them of shorting you pay so they don't get defensive. They could have some screwing way of doing it. When your salaried it's based on an 80 hour pay period, so even if you do the math and it's 86.67, it doesn't matter because your paid for 80 hours, what matters is your salary is right based on 80 hour semi monthly pay. In other words your gross semi monthly pay should add up to your annual salary you accepted. So if you make 50K each check's gross would be 4166.67, which is 50K a year, so take your salary divide that by that by 12 and that's what your gross check should be pay day so you make your annual salary. So what they probably didn't explain clearly to you is that you were hired on an annual salary, based on 80 hour pay periods and you get your checks twice a month. So as a salaried person don't get caught up in the hours, it doesn't apply to you since your salaried.

Hope this helps!

HR Manager

steve_miller_5
If you are non-exempt, then they should be paying you by your hours actually worked. That could be determined by punching a timeclock, or by paying you for a fixed number of hours each day you work.

In either case, with a semi-monthly pay cycle, some pay periods will cover more calendar days and some will cover less. Your pay will fluctuate accordingly.

I would infer that, on the 80 hour paycheck you mentioned, you had ten, eight-hour work days in that pay period. Other times, it could be 11 or even 12 days. The pay period for the second half of February might be 8 or 9. It will average out over the whole year.

If you end up working the standard 260 days, that will be 260 x 8 = 2080 hours, and that will have averaged 86.67 per pay period.

I hope that makes sense, and helps. Good luck.

Kristiantm65
As a payroll Manager, most of you are wrong. One the VERY first paycheck depend how the company is set up and the actual day you started work, your first paycheck will be the 80 hours. All adjustments (if any) will be on the next check. To explain, let take November 2012 and lets day for the sake of argument that you were paided on the 5th and the last day of the month. And lets day you started work on the 2nd of November which was a Friday. So, the 2nd through the 15th would be 10 days instead of 11. Your first paycheck ONLY reflex the hours that you actually worked. Your second paycheck will reflect the 86.67, because you will be on the regular pay cycle. Your first check unless you started on the first day of the pay cycle will never be the 86.67 hours. It will only be the actual hours worked. If you started on the 6th for example you would be paid for 8 day or 64 hours. I hope this may clear up some confusion.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Has anyone ever been sacked and managed to get another job?
if so what grounds did you get sacked on and how long did it take you to find another job?...

Can i be dismissed from work when i am off sick?
i have no contract of employment can i be dismissed when off sick with a doctors ...

Can an employer legally retract an offer after seeing your facebook and myspace page?
They made you an offer that you accepted and then people from HR searched your myspace and facebook page and retracted the offer....

Employment contracts?
When a company takes you on after passing interviews etc, are they obliged to give you a contract before you start the job? And, if you've been there some weeks and they still haven't ...

I want to be a Paramedic, but i kinda have an issue that might affect it.?
You see, when i was 16, i did a very stupid thing on the internet and threatend the president, i was only playing around. 2 weeks later, the social services come knockin on my door asking me ...

I got fired from Job on my day off by email, can my company do that and can I sue?

How long can an employer hold a paycheck?
I put in my two weeks notice and carried out my responsibilities for those two weeks. Now that I am gone, that employer wants me to tie up loose ends that he did not ask for during my last two weeks ...

Can my manager tell an employee that I was the one who reported them for drug use?
This person brags about smoking blunts everyday after work and I reported them. Today I was yelled at by that employee because my manager reported to them that it was me that told them. Is this legal?...

How do I tell my boss?
I have worked for my boss for 3 1/2 years. I have recenlty found out that our family business really needs my help and they have offered me a job with benefits and better pay. I am obviously going ...

I was sacked from a previous empoyer 7 years ago. can i be sacked from my current job if the find out?

I have been offered a job by pre-paid legal. Seems a bit sketch to me...What do you think?

Can your pay rate change ,if you change job titles?
I've been with a company for 1yr. Now due to budget issues , my positions changing from dept. head to regular employee. Legally do I have to take a pay cut . Or do they have to continue to pay ...

Is it legal for software firms to monitor employees' Instant Message chats?
In recently came to find out that my firm monitors employees' internal IM chats. I need to know whether this is illegal? Of course, I agree that email should be monitored, as it might be used as ...

Is national minimum wage going to go up soon and to how much?

I was made redundant 18 months ago after 14 years employment.given 2 weeks notice by boss ,is this right?
boss gave me 4000 pounds and told me thats all he could afford before he closed the business,found out ex employee with less years than me got 6500 pounds from government,is it too late for me to ...

How would you resign from your current position if you found a another job and you have to start immediately.?

Is it Illegal?
Hi, my colleague thinks that it is considered illegal to seek employment when you already are emplyed. Is it really illegal? I mean - if the person looking for a job is NOT doing it at work, and does ...

Felon question please help.?
if i shot a car with a bb gun when i was younger but the lady dropped the charges because of hail damage could i still join the marine corps or would i be a felon....

What can I do if my employer fired you cause your Dad had to be taken to the hospital?
Well my dad almost died and the doctors kept calling me to tell me about decisions i had to make and if i didn't make them they would but i had to make them so i had to go to the hospital i was ...

How do evade your nosy present employer from seeing your job search on the internet?
Specifically, the present employer can see the job searches on the job search sites and routinely looks. If he sees my name on there, I would most likely be fired on the spot. I am not happy, and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links