Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

What's the longest amount of time my employer can make me wait for a break or lunch on an eight hour shift?
Find answers to your legal question.

What's the longest amount of time my employer can make me wait for a break or lunch on an eight hour shift?

Is it legal to work me six hours straight with no break at all??

IrlandeseItaliana
Rating
In CA, you are entitled to a 30 min meal break after 5 hours of work on an 8 hour shift. Check out the CA Labor Law website for more details (search CA Labor Law, and select the CA Labor Code subtitle on the .gov site).

Squat1
There are no federal laws regarding breaks or lunch, there are some state laws.

Check state laws and Company policiy. If there are no state laws then Company policy would be followed.

weather_woman
It may depend on the state and how old you are.

I dont think there are any rules for people over 18.
In Indiana a minor has to take a 30 minute break if they work 5 or more hours otherwise the company gets charged i believe it's $1000 for every infraction. It may be the same for every state... dunno.

Judy
Rating
It depends on your state law if one exists on this. There isn't a federal law requiring breaks and lunches, but some states do have laws requiring them alter a certain amount of time. In many places, but not all, it would be legal for your employer to have you work 6 hours straight without a break.

Houdini
Most states have indiviual laws regarding this. Check with your state.gov for more details. Also your age and if you are in school comes into this. In Indiana, you must take a break after 6 hours if you are 18 or under, over 18 breaks are not mandatory.

GG
Rating
i think they have to at least give you a 15 min for 6 hours

orchid731
I have heard that you should have a break every two hours while working on a job. Is this right?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can anyone advise whether they have dealt with the issue of employees with limited english comprehension?
Can anyone advise whether they have had to deal with the issue of capability of employees who have a limited comprehension of english.?

I have been told that if an employees lack of ...

I am thinking of being a lawyer?
ok so what types are there.and what does each one ...

Can i use FMLA for problems with my teeth?
I have a few infected teeth with absesses. my upper lip and my face surrounding the area have become swollen and i'm in alot of pain. Can i use FMLA?...

Can i get fired for this?
if i lied to my boss saying i have to go to court? i never told them that my friend ask me to be a witness at his court case though. Now they asking me for the court papers what should i ...

Stay at home Mother, seeking job...can she collect unemployment benefits?
My Wife has been a stay at home Mother for 2 1/2 years and is currently seeking a job...but so far, no luck! I am wondering if she can collect unemployment benefits during the time it takes her to ...

Can I take legal action against a co-worker who gave a bogus reference and cost me to lose a job?
I stopped working at a market a month ago and have put some co-workers on my new resume as references.
Even though these were cell numbers, the new potential employer called the market directly ...

Can you hand your notice in while on a suspension?
My partner is currently on suspension on full pay at work for making a silly mistake. He has an investigation pending. He is really unhappy with the way his company have treated him and would like to ...

Is it legal for interviewer to contact present employer if I ask them not to?
I recently went on an interview where I checked off that I do not want my present employer contacted. In the interview, I discovered one of the five people I met with used to run the area where I ...

Is it legal to require a drug test for employment?
While looking at another question in another area this question popped into my head. Is it legal to require a person to submit a urine test in order to get a job or is it just a generally accepted ...

Am i entitled to any holidays while working part time?
Im a student and have been working at least 22 hours a week for the last 8 months....

Can i take legal action?
i was wondering if i can press charges for discrimination at work. i am one of two white people at my workplace, and my boss hates me for no good reason. i work in california.
Additional D...

Is it legal to REQUIRE ppl to come into work on a snow day? Asked to come in 2 hrs late, and my boss said no.

Looking for a way to leave my job?
Currently I am (realistically) a legal secretary/paralegal/legal assistant/office administrator/human resource manager/"go-for"/courrier/and meals delivered. My "title" is ...

Employer won't pay me last paycheck?
my employer told me he refused to pay me for the last two weeks of work i performed. the problem is i work in tennessee and the office is in florida--we have no direct communication, i ...

Where do i get the money to hire a lawyer?
And within 6 weeks. If I win the case you'll get your money back if you want to loan me....

What can I do about being "written up"?
I was written up by my new manager of one month. Reason stated "I have displayed a bad attitude and negative body language at the meeting for restructering of the department". I am ...

Can My Employer Force Me To Move To Third Shift?
Is there a labor law for california that disallows an employer to make an employee change to a different shift even though the employer knows that it will create a hardship for the employee ...

What subjets do i take for law?
i am currently schooling...i hope to become a lawyer. what subjects do i take
? an which countre do i go(lookin 4 1 with a high demand 4 ...

My daughter has a law degree she cant get a job anywhere in london,does anyone know where she can get a job? ?
she has got a 2.2 degree in law and she has finished her lpc course but is waiting on 2 retake results which she finds out on 22/10/08
she has been on a training contract for about 2 months now,...

Does my employer owe me?
I have a summer job. During orientation one of the managers wrote my pay rate down on a piece of paper. It was 8.00/hr. The paychecks I've been getting back have said 7.50/hr. Even if I had kept ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links