Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

What classes have to be taken to become paralegal?
Find answers to your legal question.

What classes have to be taken to become paralegal?

I am going to a community college to become a paralegal?What classes should I take?

Princess Leia
The community college should already have the course requirements set out. Speak to a guidance counselor at the community college to make sure you know what courses you need to take and the order in which you should be taking them.

As one poster said, make sure you get an Associate's degree (AA) in paralegal studies. The certificate program is usually not good - employers prefer the Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in paralegal studies.

However, here is a list of courses offered by a local community college (I don't know your location so I just chose one that I know offers such a program):
http://www.rcc.edu/programs/certificate_details.cfm?code=121

Paralegal Studies AS591/AS591

CERTIFICATE PROGRAM

Major Core Requirements:
Required Courses (37.5 Units) Units
LEVEL I COURSES:
BUS-18A Business Law, I 3
PAL-10 Introduction to Paralegal Studies 3
PAL-64 Legal Research and Computer Applications 3
PAL-68 Civil Litigation and Procedures I 3
CAT-80 Word Processing: Microsoft Word for Windows 3
or
CAT-84 Word Processing: WordPerfect for Windows 3

LEVEL II COURSES:
BUS-18B Business Law, II 3
PAL-14 Legal Ethics 3
PAL-70 Law Office Policies, Procedures and Ethics 1.5
PAL-72 Legal Analysis and Writing 3
PAL-78 Civil Litigation and Procedures II 3

Electives
SPECIALTY COURSES (Select 9 units from the following)
ACC-1A Principles of Accounting, I 3
PAL-80 Internship Project 1.5
PAL-81 Bankruptcy Law and Procedures 3
PAL-83 Estate Planning and Probate Procedures 3
PAL-85 Family Law and Procedures 3
PAL-87 Trial Practice Preparation and Procedures 3
RLE-82 Legal Aspects of Real Estate 3

Plus completion of the graduation requirements as described in the catalog.

Now, for an ABA approved paralegal program, go here:
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/paralegals/directory/
and click on your state.

I clicked on CA and chose UC Irvine and got to this website:
http://unex.uci.edu/certificates/business_mgmt/paralegal/

But they have a paralegal certificate program; not an associate's degree. The few that offer the associate's degree are here and have a list of classes:
http://www.sac.edu/degrees/sac/Paralegal.htm

Hope this helps! ^_^

V.T.V.RAM
Rating
For becoming a paralegal, you should attend a community college paralegal program that leads to an associate degree. Another common method of entry, mainly for those who already have a college degree, is earning a certificate in paralegal studies. A small number of schools offer a bachelor’s and master’s degree in paralegal studies. Finally, some employers train paralegals on the job.

Associate and bachelor’s degree programs usually combine paralegal training with courses in other academic subjects. Certificate programs vary significantly, with some only taking a few months to complete. Most certificate programs provide intensive paralegal training for individuals who already hold college degrees.

[BUMP] Coming July '09
Do they not have any course requirements? Usually, even at a community college, if you are majoring in a certain program there will be required courses to take...

Anyone studying to be a paralegal should be taking the following, along with general courses(*=elective):

Introduction to Law
Law Office Management
Legal Research and Writing
Criminal Law and Procedure
Civil Litigation
Civil Procedure
Paralegal Profession
Wills, Trusts, and Probate*
Environmental Law*
Family Law*
Contract Law*
Real Estate Law*

Is the school you are attending ABA accredited? It doesn't sound like it is. In case you don't already know, you will have a hard time finding a paralegal job from a non-accredited school. What will help you is if you have some law office experience. I recommend finding a job at a law office while you are finishing your degree, you can be a clerk, receptionist or secretary. Having some law office experience will substantially help you when it comes time to find a paralegal job.

EAL
Rating
you will have to take a lot of classes then take a specialty class like family or divorce, then every few years you have to go back to school to be updated on new laws and other.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do I know if I've found a good lawyer?
specifically for workmans comp and discrimination from my employer in the state of ...

Annual Appraisal & Pay Review?
Hi,

My company normally does an Annual Appraisal and Pay Review in December.

Is my company legally obilged to increase my pay in line with inflation.

What is the ...

Do you go to college or University to become a lawyer?

Legal help. Confused?!?!?
When a lawyer represents someone mostly everything is relayed to the client by word of mouth. My question is what would be a concrete reason for someone to have a failing client attorney ...

Is this legal, ? work related. Co. says I have to move my funds...?
I'm at a new job, been here 1-wk. I work for an investment co., I'm the receptionist. I finished all my paperwork, however, someone from the compliance dept. emailed to tell me that I ...

Becoming a registered nurse with felonys?
Hi i am thinking about going to nursing school to get a better job.I am concerned about my record though. When I was 20 yrs old I had a boyfriend that was abusive, he hit me one day and I was tired ...

How many weeks legally must i give Notice?
Hi there,
Mu job title is a "junior office assistant" But i actually do Search engine optimisation & manage cost per click accounts (online marketing) My boss pays me minimum wage ...

How can i change my employment hours?
im on 30 hours a week on days and times that doesnt suit me, how can i change this. do i need to give in writing to my employer. how many weeks notice do i give?

Legal Headhunter?
What is a legal recruitment headhunter?

Is anyone here one and can tell me what duties you have and if you enjoy it etc....

Hi all. Suggestions required?
Law graduate with MBA(HR & Marketing) & have 1.8 yrs exp in HR. is this a good option. wht r the oppurtunities overseas with this exp as iam planning to go abroad. kindly post ur views....

What Recourse Do I have?
I worked for a large investment company from 1999 to 2001. I voluntarily resigned to relocate. To make a long story short two weeks ago I was offerered a position with the same company. Each person I ...

I was recently fired for reason's i dont understand.
I wrote a letter to my boss's boss about how unprofessional he was at the work place. He had his favorite waitress and she got everything. anyways He had no idea i wrote the letter but a few ...

If you have been fired from a job can you draw unemployment?
i was there for 5 years and had some harassment problems but i was fired for missing work .my mother in law lives with us and she is disabled and doesn't drive .she has lots of dr appointments ...

Can my previous employer make me repay money for excess holiday taken?
i transferred from company 1 to company 2 wef 1/10/08, within the same group. i had to resign from company 1, and was given a new contract and terms with company 2. my last salary from company 1 was ...

I have a question on employment law?
Hi , can anyone answer a question to help me with my college law project.. if an employee has a history of being absent every so often but yet you have never actually given them written or oral ...

What are the reasons for being told to come to appointment with job seekers advisor?
I'm looking for a temp job until university starts & reluctantly signed on job seekers a few months ago, why am I being summoned for an appointment/interview?...

Is it legal that some of my staff are getting pay more than me?
I'm the supervisor in my department. we recently hire two new employees. I found out that they are getting pay more than me? is that legal? the new hires are male, can that be the reason why? I...

Can i be fired for a breach of security?
without them even giving me the chance to defend myself. I was recently taken out of the system to work, becuase one of my employees "said that i gave her my password. that is not the case, and ...

I have been underpaid in my wages for the past 18 months. How much of this can i claim back?
I was underpaid in my normal 4 week wage and was not being paid extra when it was a 5 week month. So i was receiving well under the minimum wage. How much of this can i claim back from my employer?...

Is it legal to pay waiters under minimum wage?
Hello,my boyfriend recently got a new waiter position in a nice upscale restaurant. We live in California so minimum wage is 8.25/hr. He said he's being paid 5/hr plus tips and that's legal ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, April 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links