Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

What is the average yearly raise, percentagewise?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the average yearly raise, percentagewise?

I've been at my job for a year and 3 months and my last raise was 2%, is that normal or is that lower than average? i'm a legal secretary so I know what the market is, I just don't know what the raise average is.

dvskv
Two (2%) percent sounds lower than average bec the most common escalation factor used where they gauge the price raising each year to keep up with inflation over time is like in the range of three (3%) percent to four (4%) percent.

The salary of most jobs are based on supply and demand within that particular working area...and possibly 2% is acceptable if you have less experience and seniority/time with your employer. Basically the more an important employee contributes to a company's bottomline profit, he/she has earned a higher bonus or raise bec if the employer didn't recognize that individual, technically he/she would resign and work for a competitor who would be happy to welcome this individual onboard of course based on their demonstrated track record of accomplsihments!

Hopefully you understand the pic I am trying to convey that emphasis should be (i) placed on fact that you have a good attitude and if hired would show gratitude by showing up on time and working diligently in accordance with your job description; (ii) it is absolutely vital that you leave your managers the first impressions that you are a hard and dependable worker carrying out assigned tasks and keeping yourself busy even little things rather than trying to make friends or standing around idle; (iii) reliability that your boss has experience and knowledge in knowing what's best given the situation(s) and you do whatever tasks he/she asked you as long as they are legal.

Bottomline, Be Grateful You Have a Good Job and Next Year you may be lucky to get either a bigger raise or perhaps a BETTER PAYING JOB!

Best of Luck!

JobSearchWiz
Average raises I have seen and talked with my employer clients about range from 2-5% each year. I think 3-4% is a good average. It usually depends on your performance and most of the times the company's performance.

Check out http://www.salary.com for more information and pick up "Salary Tips for Professionals" for more guidance on how to get a better raise next year.

Good luck!

John
Rating
average is usually 3% but not everyone gets a raise annually.

Lyndon C
Rating
Any average % raise will not be that helpful as a practical matter. Also, raises aren't guaranteed.

In theory, the raise will bring your salary to the market rate for a legal secretary with one more year of experience than when you started. Therefore, to give you an answer you can use, you'd have to provide info about the market you're in, what type/size law firm you work for, etc.

That said, 2% is not unusual. Depending on your employer's finances and your value to them, you might be able to negotiate a bigger raise. Contact an employment agency (on your own time and using your own or a pay phone) to find out what you could be making somewhere else, and use that number to determine whether you should askfor a bigger raise or whether you should find a higher paying employer.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is a job required to give you your schedule in advance? I always receive my schedule a day before it starts.?
I work on a monthly schedule that doesnt change for a whole month and I usually get my work schedule a week after the month has began. I end up having to cancel plans i.e. doctors visits, weekend ...

Should I study for bachelor of legal studies or paralegal studies?
I'm about to enroll to finish my bachelor's degree online. I'm very interested in legal work, although I doubt I can go for another 8 years for law school. However, I confused on ...

Is a dui an immediate turn down for a job?

How much do Attorneys at Law make every year?
I'm majoring in Law currently hoping to become an attorney at law.

I'd to know the avg salary a lawyer makes....

Employment law?
what is the termonology used for employees travelling from their residence to work who may be involved in an accident. employees are deemed to be at work even though in ...

Fired from off the books job do to race?
My sister began a job as a nanny off the books two and a half weeks ago. Now, in order to take this job, she had to quit a job with a lot of potential, and base her college courses around when she ...

Looking for a job for a teenager?
i am 14 years old and want to earn my own money. i want to to this for about one to two ...

I was fired 3 yrs ago-I keep getting recruited for jobs, they seem interested in my background, then nothing !
This happens too much to be a coincidence - any suggestions ? It is illegal in my state to record phone conversations, so I can't have someone call and say they are interested in hiring me......

What kind of Job can we find for George after he leaves office.?
George W. Bush will become one more unemployed American Citizen come January.

What kind of job can he get that will allow him to support his family. He was Governor and President and no ...

My friend has a legal secretary certif. from a tech school what can exactly can she do with that if she has no
legal work exp. and what is the starting salary and to how much? Trying to help a friend....

How long does my employer have to give me my paycheck after I've been fired?

Is an employer legally required to confirm employment to a Collection Agency?
Sadly, payroll employees are not entitled to Wall Street bailouts for their current financial troubles. In the last two months, seven of my thirty employees have had wage garnishments issued or have ...

Is this a sign i'm about to be fired ?
everything was going decent but all of a sudden my missed days r being brought up out of the blue and the boss is saying a co worker came to her and said that i offended him/her (she wouldn't ...

How should I react to harassment at work?
I have one coworker that has been treating me badly. I am a photo lab tech and she was working in customer service. I am fully trained as a customer service representative. She called in and said ...

Is my boss being illegal?
i work for this guy who thinks it's ok to not pay you for every single moment you are not physically doing something. when i sign out he'll say "well i saw you standing in the break ...

Applying for a Job with a Record?
So the other day my friend and I got in trouble, my friend stole some things from wal-mart and I was with her and knew she was doing it so I got the same charge as her. Unfair and I'm in college ...

What other jobs could a legal assistant or paralegal apply for?
I am so burned out and tired of the legal field. I have experience in family law, personal injury (plaintiff), med mal and insurance defense, and disability law....

Can an employer lie on monster?
I applied for a job on monster.com , the company called me , one of the reasons i applied is because on monster under the job description it said that the salary was 46,000.00 to 48,000.00/year
C...

Does quitting my job and not showing up go on my permanent record if i dont write it as a reference?
I hate my job and i dont want to go anymore and i dont want to do a 2 weeks notice, Im not going to put it on my references i only worked there for 2 months. will it show u on my permanent record?

Help with resignation?
I have been with my present job since May of this year. I moved here thinking that my husband and two older sons would move down after me. Our daughter and I moved here due to lack of funds cause my ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, November 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links