Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

What legal questions may a HR representative ask my past employers about my past employment history with them?
Find answers to your legal question.

What legal questions may a HR representative ask my past employers about my past employment history with them?

I heard from a former HR rep. that the only legal questions they may ask are: Has (so-in-so) worked in your company before? And for how long?

Is this true. Are those the ONLY legal questions they may ask?

Mom of 2
Rating
It's not the asking of questions that has legal boundries, but the answering of them. MOSt compnaies will only answer questions regarding your dates if employment, job title and salary. Answering any questions about job performance, especially negatively, could put the former employer in a very bad legal position so they won't even go near them

lostcowboy
Rating
In most cases,HR is only responsible for giving your account of employment (that you worked there) and for how long,and maybe the future employer will inquire as to whether or not the past employer would re-hire you. Well we all know this isn't a perfect world and with that said we would appreciate people more who did their job as specified. All this to say that I PERSONALLY witnessed a former employee getting trashed by my employer (I was still working there) and the employer didn't care about who knew exactly what he was up to. If found out, the former employee can bring charges against that past employer.

Koneko
it's true. but the problem is how they are answered. if you did something the former folks didn't like or they want to warn the prospective employer, they can hem and haw in answering; they can be rude, or say things like, "you're asking about who? yikes!". even though it's against the law, it's still easy to disparage someone. if you think that is what is happening, then give the name of someone at the company you worked for that did work well with you.

Zzyzx
Rating
It varries from state to state, but typicaly they can verify

A) Your dates of service
B) Your salary (not sure on that one)
C) If you are eligble for re-hire

Though I don't work in HR, myself, I don't call HR for my reference checks either...

bundysmom
Verify dates of employment
Your position
If you are eligible for rehire

DD
Do they only look at reviews for eligability to rehire? I ask because my manager trashed me on a posting application when I applied for another position in the company. I found out he lied and no-one will stand up for me because they are still working with him.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Looking for employment for my boyfriend who is a convicted felon in CT?
ASLO SUGGEST EMPLOYERS...

Who does a entertainment lawyer work with?

Hello i have joined a company by paying 40,000(fourty thousandrupees ) ?
Hello i have joined a company by paying 40,000(fourty thousand rupees ) where i have been said that i would be given training upto 6 months and later i would be paid ......but after 6 months they ...

Offered a job, signed job contract but offer was retracted at the last minute?
I have been offered a graduate position in a consultancy firm back in April 08 and I have signed and return back the contract to the company at the end of April. As per normal practice, they have ...

Is it legal to ask a potential employee for color photocopies of SS card and ID?

Additional Details
What about COLOR copies of any two forms of ID?...

Will I be able to get a job with my criminal record?
3yr.s ago I was convicted for being under the influence of a controlled substance and I also have a battery charge as well that's only 6mo.s old and they are both misdemeanors.I'm just ...

My husband had a felony 20 years ago ,now he is trying to find a job as a truck driver . is it hard to find it

I have been working for this company for 2 years and just got a layoff notice because they claim that business
but they just hired a guy in and im sure are paying him more than i was makeing what do i do do i have any legal rights?...

What is the real, day-today lifestyle of a lawyer? how easy/hard is it to find employment?
what is the average salary? do you still have time with your family? DETAILS PLEASE!!! :)...

Will they still pay?
if someone is going to get the sack for gross misconduct but they resign before will they definately still get paid money?...

Under 18 and working before 6am?
Is it ilegal for an under 18 year old to work before 6am? At a convienence store? (Uk question)...

Sears is holding my check. Is this legal?
I'm an independent contractor and was delivering appliances for Sears in MA. I had an issue with the hours they required me to drive as it was in violation of DOT regulations. They wanted me to ...

Can I get my Bonus Pro Rata when I leave work?
Hi all,

I'm about to leave work and my current job pays me an annual bonus, with the term running from jan 1st to jan 1st (it's german accounting year, our parent company is ...

What are some qualities you should have to become a lawyer?
Like do u have to be able to argue, do u have to be a type of person who always wins arguments.. some traits....

Which is the better career: dentist or lawyer?
I'm really torn between the two. I'm going to enter college next year, so I do still have time to think about it. I think I want to be a lawyer more, but I'm not sure if I would like ...

How long do warnings from employers last?

Does anyone know the legal limit they can take out of your paycheck for Child support in the state of Virginia
I have tried contacting the Local Childsupport Agency and they give me the run around....

Can I force my employer to approve my holiday before being made redundant?
I would like to use my holiday entitlement before being made redundany. Can I force my employer (UK) to take my holiday before being made redundant?

I know you could I will be paid for it ...

Becoming a paralegal?
I have looked around at the job requirements and the education/certification needed. I'm currently in Marketing, but looking for a change. Any paralegals out there with advice, pros/cons?

Is there any employee blacklist industry-wide?
Let me add details about a friend. He was terminated from a company on a layoff, made "not eligible for rehire" because he had problems with the manager (like insubordination etc.). Then ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links