Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

When I quit my job am I owed both accrued vacation and sick time...or just vacation time?
Find answers to your legal question.

When I quit my job am I owed both accrued vacation and sick time...or just vacation time?

I am in the state of Louisiana so any help from the locals would be appreciated.

wartz
Rating
It depends on your company policy.

Tabitha
You will get your vacation time paid out but not your sick leave..so take your sick leave before you leave, or you will looose it.

Jackson D
Company policy has a lot to do with it. Check your benefit package they gave you when you were hired or the company website if possible.

The norm is that you receive all pay for vacation time earned. You don't receive pay for sick leave. Sick leave is forfeited. You receive pay for vacation days or floating holidays not used. Floating holidays are what some companies give their employees for working on a holiday. Good Luck!

sanitysane
Rating
If I were you I'd use up vacation time before quitting

Squat1
Since Vacation and Sick Time is not covered by any Federal Law, you need to check Louisiana Labor and Company Policy.

Normally Company Policy, you are paid for Vacation Earned but not taken, but not paid for accrued vacation nor sick pay.

Again, by Federal Law you are owed nothing.

truttman
Hmmm. I believer you just cash-out your vacation time.

leysarob
The law in most states does not require the pay out of either sick or vacation. Some states do say that employers must follow the company policy they set in place.

Sick time is usually not paid out at termination. Accrued vacation time may be paid out if your company's policy is to pay it out. Some companies require adequate notice of resignation before they will pay out accrued vacation. Some will not pay it if the employee has been terminated.

Check your employee handbook.

BudLt
Rating
When you quit a job you are saying goodbye to all your agreements. If you have a Governmental job or a Executive Level job you may have a shot at some cash and prizes but essentially your quitting and they (your employer) are not obligated to you in any way whatsoever. You can continue your benefits through a cobra plan. Thats about it. You quit and all bets are off basically.

bucky
I just want to know if anyone knows what would happen if I call out sick after giving a two weeks notice. I have lots of sick time and vacation time and they won't let me use any of my vacation time during the two week period, and expect me to work it. I have only called out two times in over one year.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do employers have the legal right to do this?
I quit my job because it was so hard for me to make my quota. During training it was made perfectly clear that there was no quota only "expectations". (A subtle hint for me to get out of ...

How do employers know if you have your g.e.d or not for employment? an how do they check to see if you do?

Past employer still threatening me?
After quitting my job almost three weeks ago after working in a environment of harsh speaking staff and negativity-

I have gotten 3 letters from them about company property(which I ...

I want to resign from my new job...Am I doing the right move?
I'm a bank employee. I resigned from my first job which I've been with for 5yrs and transferred from another company thinking that it can give me the chance to have a better career & ...

Age discrimination at work?
i have heard that it is now illegal to ask for date of birth on a British job application form. can anyone direct me to a site that states this in writing pls. i have tried a few sites and cant find ...

Can I still pursue a career as a police officer?
About nine years ago, I was ticketed for shoplifting. I was 19 at the time, and was put on a probationary period. If no similar offenses occured, it would not be on my permenent record. I know ...

Can you use a made up signature on legal docs?
I have made up a signature that actually isn't my name. Can i use this to sign documents. It is kind of a nickname people call me.
Thanks for any answers!...

My boss smokes inside our office is that legal? I am in California?
My boss has been smoking cigars inside the office. He doesn’t even close the door. Sometimes I am asked to do extra work that involves lifting heavy materials. There has been times when he sees a big ...

Can you become a lawyer without passing the bar exam?

My husband was just let go from his job, it was done unfairly what should we do?
My husband started a new job, no where did he sign that he agreed to no pay. He was not paid for the time he worked and was let go unfairly. It was for not taking a handbook home, which his manager ...

Friend was fired for getting a coke and going to the bathroom?
my friend was suspended and then a week later fired. He clocked out, grabbed a soda and went to the bathroom. When he came out he was met by his supervisors and was told he was suspended until ...

Lying on a job application??
I got a summer job about a month ago and just had a conversation with one of my friend. I told him i lied on my job application regarding the school I will be attending next year. I lied in order ...

Is it legal for an employer to ask for your myspace or facebook page on a job application?

I have just handed in my notice at work and don't want to work it.?
I have just handed in my notice to a horriable job where they treat me very badly, I have been discriminated against for being straight etc. (although they have made it impossiable to gather any ...

I just started a job as a care assistant...how much do you think ill get paid?
I am 20 years old so minimum wage for me is £4.60. I am un-skilled but i am receiving training on the job. I know i dont get paid for breaks and i am working 12 hour shifts. I forgot to ask how much ...

If your have been continually accused of stealing and you have not been.......should you quit the job?
I work at a Country Club in the bar area, other girls have access to the cash register. I am older age 51, most of the other girls who work there are in there 20's. I feel they are setting me up....

Is it legal for an employer to cut your wages by a half?
My husbands employer has recently cut his pay by half, he is a truck driver and his employer is taking fuel prices for the day out of the gross (for the day) and then giving him a percentage of that....

My employer put a stop payment on my deposited paycheck?
My employer states that a stop payment was made due to me not returning all of my employment materials (i.e. employee position manual) which I did return. They claim I did not but I do not have it ...

Job Termination question?
what would u put on applications that won't make it sound soooo bad? it u were terminated at will?...

I work at a chain restaurant. Is it possible to get fired for being two minutes late?
Literally, two minutes. Monday I go to be formally fired. Are there any rights that i have due to labor laws? My theory is she fired me because my boyfriend is in management. But, he was just ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links