Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Why are felons discriminated against when applying for a job?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why are felons discriminated against when applying for a job?

Michael S
Because they are felons.

I should be doing something else
Rating
I think the answer to this question is pretty self explanatory.

just me
Rating
i guess they think that EVERYONE that has a felony is really guilty.not like someone could have just been mixed up with the wrong person and not been blinded for a while by the relationship and learned a lesson after. AND been on a better path since,man i could keep going..........

saved_by_grace
Because at some point in there life they decided to make a bad choice and ended up getting caught....hence deeming them untrustworthy. Employers like to hire people that they can trust.

Ernie
Rating
It is difficult for employers to discern the truly repentant felons from the repeat offenders.
Some employers do recognize that hiring a felon will allow that person to be employed and that job will be so valuable to him or her that they treat it like gold; eg. not call in sick unless necessary, use resources wisely, be respectful, and even keep to themselves instead of be a busybody. Hiring a person who has served time can have it's pluses in loyalty.
It is hard to discern who is on the right path though.
There are so many felons with prior drug use that are clean now - it is such a shame to see how hard they try to find work.
Al the more reason to tell your kids - dont do drugs!

actor2009
Rating
I own a business and would never hire a felon. I just wouldn't trust them. That simple.

Mel
It's risk mitigation - employers don't want to assume liability for an employee's potentially felonious actions (theft, battery, etc.)

It is legal to decline an applicant for employment if they have a felony conviction.

meshel
Rating
because they are criminals and shouldn't be trusted - it especially depends on what crime they committed - our society is way too forgiving.

trustTHYself
Rating
b/c employers see u as breaking the federal/state laws, and think u may break their company laws.

Changed
Who are any of us to judge a person on what they have done everyone I mean everyone has done something many have just not been caught and who are we to say that person is a bad or horrible person no one everyone deserves a chance and many peolple with felony's are discriminated against no one if perfect so if you are that person looking down on someone for a mistake they made in their past then you need to take a look at yourself you never know what position you may be in one day the same felon you frowned upon may save your life and the same judgement you passed will be passed on you all cause we all fall short of the glorious standards of God so don't act as if you've never did any wrong you just didn't get caught at least not by man but God see's all !!!!!

david conn
most people do not think past there own sheltered lives . by making it more and more difficult for felons to get jobs in a society where felonies are handed out like parking tickets as well as jail sentences, we are in fact creating more crime and criminals as well as contributing to the break down of our own society. when felons are unable to find legal employment and have bills and family to support as well ...illegal activities and welfare or government aid are the only viable options for many. not to mention where the hell is the gray area here ? all felonies are not created equal.. why is there no reform in the corrections department just repeat offenders .. why does the us jail so many of our own citizens , 5 times more than the rest of the world . in a recession why has the prison industry still continued with great success and why are so many non violent offenders in jail and denied work when released ? did they not pay the price for their crime or was their sentence for a lifetime of ridicule persecution and unemployment??

Mia
So, no one deserves a second chance!!!! What if that was you that made a mistake and has changed your life around!!, Would you want another chance.. We all make bad decisions in life no matter what it is from kids, drinking, drugs, relationships... So you should be judged? REMEMBER WERE NOT PERFECT IN ANY WAY. Treat others as you want to be treated. And if your wondering I have nothing on my record - if I did I hope someone would be willing to give me a second chance.

death
hello to all I am a felon I could not find a job because I am a felon I created my own world my own job business no one would rent to me at one time seem very hopeless now I have more money than most people do I've learned not to help nobody and everybody cheats steals everybody's looking for the gold and everybody makes mistakes and everybody in the universe will be judged judgment days coming you will have to explain your mistakes and be sentenced the subject still upsets me reading all what people have to say

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What are the laws for going to an interview whilst in a full time job?
I am wanting to go for an interview (in england) on monday but i am in a full time job at the moment. i'm 99% sure that they have to legally let me go to the interview but can someone direct me ...

I am currently starting a new career with the police dept and I recieved a letter for jury duty.?
My question is: Can I be excused from jury duty because I am starting a new job that requires me to attend 'bootcamp' like training that I cannot miss?
Additional Details
I ...

How do you beat a background check?
I have a felony and want to know how i can cheat a background check. How can I get past the check???...

Is this just a tricky way for employers to discriminate based on age?
I am 17 years old, and looking for a job. I applied for a job at Peet's Coffee and Tea, and I spoke to the manager. On my application, I wrote that I was not available weekends, but I was ...

I am currently employed. I just got convicted for a felony offense. Should I tell my employer?
I am currenly employed. I just got convicted for a federal felony offense (fraud conspiracy) with no jail time rather 2 years probabtion. Should I tell my employer? I have nothing on my record ...

Is it illegal to lie on a job application?
Also is there anyway people can find out about your job history. Is there some sort of system....

Where can i find employers that are hiring right as of now?
I am on an intense search on-...

Racial Discrimination Lawyer?
What is the title for the kind of lawer I would need for a racial discrimination in the workplace suit? Also, where is a good place to look for representation on an easy open/shut case without having ...

I work alone as a chambermaid is this against the law?

Is it against the law for employeers to not hire if u have a felony?
Here in michigan the empolyeers plan out say if u have a felony dont even apply. but what if u do but is has nothing to deal with the work. U have a great work history but because u need to more ...

Is it true that you don't have to work the last day of your two weeks notice?
I used to work at marshalls and I was informed that I didn't have to come and work my last day and that it was optional.

help ...

Is it legal for a.........?
5 year old to marrie with parenetel cosent

p.s this is just a question i would never do that i just whant to no
<...

If you boss/supervisor gives bad reference about you, can you put a case against him in court?
Can you do anything about it?
Additional Details
If you have a source, please add it. Thanks....

What can he do, really? My husband was "let go" for "refusing to take a post-accident drug test but he DID go!
We moved this weekend. It had been planned for months. Friday night my husband's employer asked him to work Saturday night 3-midnight. Because he IS such a loyal, honest employee, he went to ...

Sunspended from work?
i have been sunspended from work. on a number of serious allegiations, on full pay, i ownly no one of theres allegiations and that the one i have been sunspeded for, what i need to no is wile i am ...

If someone at work treathens me.,provoke's me i loose my temper and hit that person can i be terminated?

Is it legal for my employer to have an "All employees must wear deodorant" policy?

My girlfriend has to make up working hours from last year is that legal?

If a job says meets national minimum wage, what does that mean?

Additional Details
pathfind... im UK...

Is this against the law?
A few years ago, I applied at a TCBY yogurt in Charlotte, NC. Three weeks have passed since application I come in and ask the girl about my application. You know what she told me? She told me the guy ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links