Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Wrongly accused for misconduct at work. How can I still collect unemployment?
Find answers to your legal question.

Wrongly accused for misconduct at work. How can I still collect unemployment?

Hey everyone,

I was recently laid off my job along with 5 other people. We were given no papers etc. about our termination. They just said they were downsizing for the new year and asked us not to come back. I applied for unemployment and the unemployment agency said that they would have to further investigate my case before the place where I use to work now says that I was fired for misconduct. The CEO is known to do this. There were other people who use to work for the company that got laid off and were given some BS excuse so they would not get unemployment. Do I have a chance?

*I have an email btw me and the hr dept. where I asked when my papers would come and they said they weren't giving me any papers. They would file when they got something from unemployment.

* There was another fellow in the dept that was fired with me and we both were not told that we would be let go due to misconduct. they said it was downsizing.

*I never received anything in writing that said I would be fired because of misconduct.

*I have coworkers there that could speak on my behalf and speak about my professionalism at all times there.

*If the CEO is known to do this, is there a complaint I can file against them with the unemployment dept. of my state?

misslabeled
Rating
Generally, employers are expected to document issues with employees that require acknowledgment from the employee. Usually verbal warning that you sign you received, written warning, followed by termination. That is unless something happened that was so horrible you were dismissed on the spot. Since you were forced into appeal, tell them you were told it was a lay-off and give the names of the other people who were told the same thing. They will have unemployment claims from these people and can verify the story.

Tell them the "misconduct" is news to you, and ask them what the employer says the exact nature of the misconduct was. And having that email is a good thing. Hang onto it and use it. You should qualify for unemployment. They just need to filter through the he said/she said junk. If you have contact information for the other people, let them know what's going on and make sure everyone has the same story.

Another thing you might consider is libel. Now, most people who go claim such a thing weren't because there is a test for damages. Given that what your employer says about misconduct is not true, and it is resulting in loss--your employment benefits--I'd certainly bring it up.

shakeNbake
take em to court

Rudas Jabbi
Wrongful dismissal

brandlet
Rating
Apply for unemployment and tell them the entire story. if you get denied, appeal. you will most likely win.

billyzhuk
Rating
Get all of the people that were also kicked out to start a protest outside the office!

tharnpfeffa
It depends on the state you live in.
I would challenge this, they probably won't show up to fight you.

Miloo
sjc has it...

sue for wrongful dismissal... see how much they like having to prove you were given fair warning.

Tio Paco
Rating
Filing an appeal is the only recourse you have. File immediately, as you have only a few days to appeal your case.
The Employment Development Department, can do nothing about the CEO's firing tactics, But the Better Business Bureau can. So can the Corporate Offices, but chances are, they are the ones that told him to do it in the first place.
In order to trim costs, not only must you down size, but you must also prevent expenditures going out from unemployment insurance benefits.
Some companies make money helping their employees (like Ben and Jerry's) but others, sadly, make money by screwing everybody, even their own.

Shawn M
If you can get people together file a class action law suit against the company. If the CEO is indeed 'known' to do this, he's breaking the law.

CHRISTOPHER R
Yes. File a complaint. Bring all the records you have on your time with the company and any witnesses that will give you something in writing about your case and that they are willing to testify in your behalf. I have heard of this before. Make sure that they are made to pay for back pay and any legal fees you encurr including mileage on your car postage, copy fees, and lost time.

Andrew
Rating
find an employment law firm in your area and sue. My uncle is an employment lawyer and I hear about his cases all the time. You have a great case that should be heard and you would probably force the your ex-employer to settle with you for quite a bit of money, based on your salary. Don't wait too long and good luck!

Atticus Finch
Rating
You can file an appeal with the unemployment folks and then you will get a hearing. If the hearing fails, you can request arbitration, if that fails get an attorney and when you file make sure that the business pays his fees and not have them deducted from your settlement. Good luck.

WACVET75
Rating
Yes you can. Also if you can get a hold of any of the others that got the same line of garbage together you might have a case of wrongful termination. It is something that will take for ever but if you all stick together aI think maybe you could come out ahead and maybe stop the CEO from doing this anymore. If you can contact them have the unemployment office understand that this was no only done to you but others and let them investigate from there. The can go back and look at past records of any company and see what if any complaints were made by others before you. As far as a law suit you never know until you try. It may cost a little or if your really in a bind check and see if there is a legal aid office where you live. They should be able to tell you if you have a case. Good Luck.

Betty
Rating
In the state of viriginia, if you are denied, and you disagree with that decision, you can file an appeal. Here is a faq https://www.vec.virginia.gov/vecportal/appeals/FAQ.asp. This only applies to the state of Virginia, so please check with your state to see what their rules and regulations are. Good Luck!

Rima m
Rating
BEAT ALL THEY *** FO SHIZZLE

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it illegal to have another job as well as your main one?
A friend has just been fired for gross misconduct because she was working on creating a new business for herself and doing consulting work on occassional evenings. Is that allowed in the UK? She didn&...

If you are working overtime do you still by law take a 30 min lunch and if so do i still get 2 15 min breaks?

Is it legal for an employer to demand that if your till is down, that you replace the money yourself?
I was aware when staring the job that till descrepencies over a £1 would be questioned and logged but our manager has recently told us that we must start to make the money up ourselves if our tills ...

What career would you pick from the following?
dentistry, law, economics or ...

Age Discrimination?
If you were turned down for a job that you are very qualified for, and a younger less qualified person gets that job, is this grounds for age discrimination?

Happened to someone I know.... ...

I was fired but never signed any papers.Am I legally fired?

What are some illegal interview questions?
I would like some examples of illegal interview questions? I thought it was illegal to ask if you have a misdemeanor (I thought it was okay to ask if you have a felony) I'm trying to brush up ...

Fired for being Pregnant...?
So my wife got a letter in the mail today from the over company she works for. (She works for a gas station, but the company handles all its hiring, firing, and payroll thru a company called PMI). A ...

Which courses should I take in highschool to become a criminal lawyer?
Hi, I am wondering what courses I need/ I should take to become a lawyer...

T...

Am i being bullied by my employers ?
I had an accident in work 2 years ago i got legal advice, this year i got a compensation pay out and since then the management at work are giving me a really hard time, ie telling my work mates not ...

What to do if your employer wont give a reference??
I left my job on bad terms, which was the fault of my employer and now he refuses to give me a reference!!!!What will i say at my next job interview???...

Is my boss allowed to phone me at home about trivial, non-urgent matters?
I work part time in a shop, whilst I'm quite happy for my boss to phone me at home about something urgent or to change my hours etc. she is also constantly phoning myself and the other employees ...

Is it legal for your company that hired you as a salaried employee, change you to hourly but only pay u 40 hrs
I was hired by a company as a full time salaried employee and when I had my review tell me because of a verbal warning, never put in writing, I was being changed to hourly but that I would only be ...

Any advice before before I go before judge on first DUI con fiction?
Not only lost licence..lost my driving job of eight years...family health insurance....

Does an employer have the right to fire a person after she makes a complaint about her manager?
My fiance was just terminated from her pharmacy technician job immidiatly after talking to her human resources mangager (in confidentiality) about her manager being unfair in the way he treated her ...

Hey, I got a e-mail and it said he'll give me $200.00 if I let his buyers send money to my paypay acct.....
Hey, I got a e-mail and it said he'll give me $200.00 if I let his buyers send money to my paypay acct.....
Hey, I got a e-mail and it said he'll give me $200.00 if I let his buyers ...

I got fired from my job?
alrigth this was a accident, but i put superme Gas in a Truck that only takes deasel and my boss fires me... would you have fired me to , i mean it was a accident i didnt mean to do ...

My employer requires that everyone come in 10 minutes early, but does not pay us for this time. Is that legal?
One of my co-workers has been complaining about this, but it's the same person that say that by law they are allowed a smoking break every two hours... so I don't know...

We have ...

My employer does not pay overtime. Is this legal???
I' m working at a nursing home in DC as an LPN. At this facility you have to pass meds and do your treatments everyday. I put in 30 extra mins everyday. and i do not get paid. There have ...

I have an email from world trading post offering me a job but i don't know wither its it legit or not?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links