Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

You get laid off and you cont to get cks for 4wks what actions could company take if you don't give them back?
Find answers to your legal question.

You get laid off and you cont to get cks for 4wks what actions could company take if you don't give them back?

Laid off through the human resource office and it isn't sent to corporate payroll office until the monthly payroll reports and comp policy was to mail paychecks and the former employee refused to give the extra 4 paychecks back. WHAT ACTIONS SHOULD THE COMPANY, ( I <being the company>)SHOULD I TAKE? ............This is a Payroll Procedures class and this is one of my case problems

michr
Rating
federal law does not address "pay-day" issues. most states do have pay-day laws there are some differences in those laws but most consider a mistake in pay as recoverable form the employee in the next normal pay period. since there is not pay to recover from the employee the company would have to recoup their funds through the legal system if the employee did not freely return them.

accepting the pay knowing it is in error is the same as a bank errantly depositing extra funds in an account and the account holder then spending that deposited money knowing it was an error. the account holder must return the funds and failure to do so is theft, the former employee is in the same position knowing the pay was not owed. generally this would be handled through civil litigation if the former employee did not make restitution immediately but depending on the amount of pay this could result in felony charges for the employee who was laid-off.

the company also needs to address the issue with the responsible person in HR who failed to communicate this info. as most states do not allow the company to recoup their funds from the person who made the error that is most likely not an option but discipline would be in order if policy or procedures were not followed. if HR followed set procedures and did nothing wrong then the company needs to examine their own policies and procedures to prevent this from happening in the future.

redhairedmama75
Rating
The person receiving the checks continued to accept them knowing that they were not entitled to them. Doesn't that count has theft? Charges should be pressed.

leysarob
Lawsuit for return of stolen property.

Ruby 64
you would have to file a judgement against said employee- how you file depends on the state you live in. Some states may do this through small claims court...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Lawyers Hourly Pay??
How much would a lawyer, fresh out of Stanford Law, make per hour? Specializing in litigation, and criminal law....

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming litigation legal secretary interview?
I'm applying for that position, i have a two years experience cause i was working in Dominican Republic, but i feel kinda nervous because i don't know what kind of questions they ask, and ...

Employment law questions- employment consultant?
If you have an employment contract which is signed by both parties do you also need to have the contract witnessed in the witness section of the contract?

How feasible is it to obtain a H...

Interested in being a lawyer but afraid of public speaking. advice?

California law on employment and GED?
My younger half sister is 18 and working to get her GED. She is one test away from obtaining it but it may take more than a month. Most jobs require that you have a HSD or GED if you are 18 or older. ...

Job restrictions for minors?
what are the restrictions for minors to work and get paid in the state of north carolina, near charlotte. i'm 14 and im trying to get a job other then yard work to get a little extra cash and i ...

Should i tell a boss about this?
Ok first off a kid at work yells out " i need the fat mike to the back! " in front of 12 customers.
Next i am with a customers and yells at me saying " I want you here Now!!! &...

Does anyone have any advice about custom and practice under employment law.?

I live in California, I want to become a paralegal, the only problem is that i am an ex-convict and will that?

If i gave no notice on my last job.Am i entitled to my wages?
I didnt give anynotice, i just didnt go back one day as i really hated it! I was only there six weeks and never seen or signed a contract. They are witholding my wages owed and have sent me a bill ...

How much does an FBI agent make?
so im looking into going into the FBI and i wanna know how much they make and im looking into staying there and becoming a Criminal Profiler. how much to criminal profiler's make?...

Is it possible to get a job if you have a misdemeanor DUI on your record?
Most companies do background checks. Is this something that will make it impossible to get a job if you have a misdemeanor for DUI on your background?...

How should I negotiate my salary?
I currently work for my city, and interviewed for another position within the city. The salary is negotiable. How can I come up with a number that is fair.

The job is an evidence ...

What are the most flexible types of law in terms of hours?
Are their lawyers that work at night or do most of their work at home. I want to also try and work in the film industry?...

Crime Scene Investigator as a career choice.?
I am a nurse and I hate it. I only did it for the money.
Can any CSI's (field or lab) tell me about going to school, job demand and pay?
Additional Details
Really I want to be ...

Has anyone ever heard of the position of Public Health Investigator?

Last payroll check (Texas only)?
in texas how long does an employer have to send you your last payroll check????...

Work/job liability question?
I work an entry-level position within a major movie company, which I will name only as "ABC Video" at this time. Just to make this extra clear, I am not a keyholder, nor do I have any ...

Im currently working in a law firm for three months?
and which im currently under trained and zero knowledge of legal matters ,as some of my colleagues has left the firm, i was not being trained that much by new colleagues due to "certain issues&...

My dream is to become a lawyer, and I'm considering taking classes to become a paralegal. Is it worth it?
How long will it take to become a paralegal? Is this good experience for aspiring lawyer?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links