Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

Can I divorce my spouse while we are still living together?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I divorce my spouse while we are still living together?

I would like to file for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behavior but am unable to move out of our newly brought home.Can I still get a divorce?

Inspire
Of course you can as long as you dont site any violence if their are kids in the home, because DCF will not want the kids around any danger. Just assuming and giving a little hypothetical advise!!!

crackerjack
Legally yes. I would think it would work out fine for a couple that has mutually agreed to divorce; however, if it is because only one party wants it and the other doesn't then no way.

shaunie
Yes you can, that's exactly what I am doing! If you need personal advice you can e-mail me. Good Luck.xx

fdm215
Rating
You can probably do it...the court may question your grounds.

dawn
yes you can see lawyer

FRANK B
Rating
YES MY SISTER IN LAW DIVORCED WHILE LIVING UNDER THE SAME ROOF AS HER HUSBAND IN ENGLAND THIS IS LEGAL I DONT KNOW ABOUT ABROAD BUT A LAGAL ADVISOR WOULD KNOW MORE GOOD LUCK

diva
Rating
sure

its_ken_kaniff
Rating
with the housing situation what it is I bet we will see a lot more of these kind of questions in the future

If there is any way you can avoid living with her afterwards, do it. Money is one thing but the heartache/stress with living/sharing a life still with an ex...man, life is too short. Get some distance. If you can.

Short answer: Yes you can.

Face
Rating
you could but it would probably get messy. the best thing 4 you would be to move out and then file for divorce.

Maalru3
You can start the process, but it may be very hard on both of you. I did this myself. I'm not going to lie, it hurts being under the same roof. Hurts both people, and it's a hurry up and wait situation. On one hand you are in the process of leaving what is not making you happy, on the other hand you are facing the reality of failure, and all this under the same roof. There will be a lot of resent, and things said that are just to hurt each other because you 2 are under the same roof through this difficult time. Personally if you can, I wouldn't do it, if at all possible. It's hard, bitter, and hate creeps in and out. Not a good feeling. Good luck to you, I know for me, that period of time was so hard that I got on antidepressants and I was the one leaving him.

serene e
I don't understand the point of staying together but divorcing.
But, yes, you can do that. But with divorce proceedings, you'll have to probably split the sale of the newly bought home!! You won't be able to keep the house unless one can buy out the other.

KT
Yes

Susan Z
Yes you can, you do not have to be physically separated to obtain a divorce. Check with an attorney

sarah71397
i would think so

rhenry501
This is different in every state. In VA you have to live seperate for six months to file for a divorce unless you have children then you must live in different homes for 1 full year, and a witness must testafy that this seperate lving condition did in fact occure.

You should be able to get an answer to this question by going to your state law web site.

pee wees mommy
Rating
yes, of course you would have to figure out who gets the house but if he is the one who messed up, i am assuming you would.

Terrica L
Rating
as long as he is cool with you stayin there. you can get a divorce and live together... you dont have to be married to live together so i dont know why you cant be divorced and live together

Barb W
yes, don't move out. 1/2 that house will be yours and you don't want to risk losing it!

ohhdamishmara
Rating
yes but i would imagine it would be a bit irritating haha so u should move out or she should soon xP n make sure u mark everything thats urs.. makes it easier when u have to make the legal list.. better to be civil about this too

whatt
Rating
ya sure most people do but just end it on a good note or it can be akward

sheera
Rating
yeah and if there the unreasonable one make them move into the box room.

oldknowitall
Talk to a lawyer.

Trying2BNice
You're willing to stay in the same house with the guy (unreasonable behavior) but you want a divorce? This makes no sense. The reason you divorce is because one of you wants to get the h*ll out of the house.

iceman
i hope not, my wife reads these!lol

Oh my Gawddd
Rating
YES

Katie
Rating
Sure you can get a divorce, but are you going to stand living with your spouse, until you can move out?
Be sure this is what you want before you file. Marriage counseling may be a option. good luck!

xoxoshorty90
I Think Idk!

mary b
Yes. You can still get a divorce. Actually I do know of people who got divorced and are still living together. But ask yourself...why would you divorce this person if you are still living with them and are willing to continue to live with them. The court will ask you if you file, so you better have a good answer.

js
Rating
Legally--don't know. Hard on the both of you--without a doubt.
Why would you want to.

Leigh W
Rating
Depends on what State you live in - whether or not the State is marital property, etc. You need to see an attorney to protect your legal rights, even if just for a consult and then you file the paperwork yourself.

However- on the practical side of your question - if you & your spouse are still friends and can earn equity in the new home until you can both sell to protect the asset, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to live together despite a pending divorce.

Go to the Attorney General's website of your State and click on Divorce Attorneys or Marital Laws. That should answer your question better than the cyber-public will.

Phoenix Princess of Darkness
Most people do.

Angela L
I am disable and all I hear now everyday is he wants me out of his life we haven't slept in the same room or bed in almost 9yrs he he doesn't pay our mortgage and its in the foreclosure process now so in south Carolina can I file for divorce while still living in the same house and that there is a 14yr old son involved?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Would we be horrible friends if we did this?
I know this isnít a m/d question but Iím asking here anyway =)

My fiance and I have a trip planned to NY with another couple. We started planning in January. For whatever reason, right ...

Please Help!!! I don't know what to tell my sister!!?
My sister is in a relationship with the father of her daughter. He is extremely selfish and spends most of his time doing personal things or at work. This leaves my sister with all of the care of ...

Revenge on a cheating boyfriend???? Ideas needed?
Just found out my boyf has been having a 7 month affair whilst working away, leaving me and my child on our own whilst he has this 2nd life away with some girl and her child! She knew about me and my ...

He suspected that I have another man and he is right, but why didn't he try to find out?
Im already married, but having an affair with a man who is single, he doesnt know Im married, we have been dating for 6months and we love each other. we meet every weekends and sometimes on weekdays ...

SURVEY: How many years have you been married?

My hubby says i have a problem?
my hubby gets 2 days off a week and he would rather spend it out with his mates for aleast 12 hours a day when i ring him and ask where he is he goes mad all i want is him to spend some time at home ...

How do I fatten up my wife, she's too skinny for me!
She weighs 160lbs only and she's 5'6. I weight around 225 at 5'8 so I'd like her to gain a few more pounds. It's hard being seen with her in public. she use to be 190 but ...

What's the craziest place you've ever "done it"?
Ever? Name a couple.
Additional Details
Here are my craziest, for those who care to know..

In a car, of course.

Bathroom at a furniture store.

Janitor�...

How would you feel if your husband treated you like this? Should I just move on?
My husband and I separated back in December 2007 due to his cheating on me, domestic violence and his refusal to help me financially even though we are husband and wife. We had been trying since A...

Can an abusive man still love you?
He is abusive, he wont let me leave him. Does he still love me? Can he still love me if he cant stop the hurt? It's hard on us both. What do you think we should do after a year and a half of ...

Please help!!!!!!?
Ok my friend just got married in April and his wife is a total B****, everything was going fine until the wifes daughter moved backi into the house with her mother and of course she brought her 2 ...

Is it possible to stay in love after a long time?
I'm moving in with my boyfriend and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I'm 19 and he's 21. We've been together for nearly two years now and I still feel smitten. ...

What topping should I get for my pizza for my lunch today?

Please help.. I am confused why was he so angry?
My boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me a few months ago. It was very painful for me as I didn't want it. He was saying that he doesn't want long-distance anymore. But he kept saying it...

My husband does this and is this normal?
I thought marriage was supposed to be a good thing... guess I was wrong. He throws temper tantrums, has to prove he's right all the time, and I "need" to consult him on anything I do (...

Is it Cheating if........?
I just started talking to one of my ex's from before I got married. Were talking as just friends and nothing else.
Is this wrong? I mean the two of us went throught alot while we were ...

Am I the only one who gets upset because thier husband plays video games for hours at a time ?

I went thru my husbands phone & found some texts from another woman what should i do?
he text going to bed & she said goodnight sweet dreams & he said u to think of me in or on.when i asked about it he said it was a set up to see if i was going thru his phone.i really want out,...

Boyfriend seperated, but not divorced from wife.?
I am 24 years old, and have been dating my 33 year old boyfriend for a year. I moved to the city where he was for a new job, and we met less than a week after his wife signed a seperation agreement ...

What is the percentage of wives that are still a sz 4?
Even after children. I am just courious to why when you are wife, you get heavy?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links