Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

Can i marry my boyfriend before my divoce from my husband is final.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can i marry my boyfriend before my divoce from my husband is final.?

My boyfriend is in the states working on a visa.. I would like to know if i can marry him, before my divorce is final. We live in new England but would like to get married in California.. Will the goverment find out? and deport him, within 7 monthes.

Bluebird
I do not know about United State's rules and regulation. But you cannot marry another guy until your divorce is finanlized and you have been separated legally.

Stuart
The government finding out about him isn't a real issue compared to you being put in jail for bigamy.

Marrying someone else while you're still married is a crime.

By the way, this is the internet. You have just published your intent to defraud the immigration service by marrying this guy so he can stay in the US. You have published this statement in front of millions of witnesses.

A district attorney with nothing better to do that day can make a case for immigration fraud, and can send you to prison.

silverearth1
you need to wait until the divorce is final ! Otherwise you will be in trouble with thge law ! You can apply for a fiancees visa at the immigration for your new man

John B
If he's not from the USA he will need a special visa to get married. To do that he would need to leave the USA, apply for the marriage visa and then return to the US for marriage.

Nakshe
don't hurry. y the huury. take it slow for best results. will ur bf leave u and can't wait till u get a divorse???

foosieboy1953
sure ...if u do not mind risking charges being filed against you.

Black4Hilary
Rating
NO that would be bigamy, a crime. Also, if u married him now it would null/void/ the marriage. its not a legit marriage as long as you are married to someone else. espcially when u lie about it when you apply for the marriage license and dont tell them. its a misrepresentatoin. now if your talking about underground/evading the law - if u get caught or not, then thats totaly something different. I do not know the likelihood you would get cuaght or that there is a way to hide something like that from the law.

Sandie B
Depends on whether you would like a 'legal' marriage or just one on paper.
Without a divorce, the new marriage is not a binding contract especially in the eyes of the law; and you would be a bigamist which is punishable by law should your first husband decide to file charges against you.

TelulahB
No you can't. The marriage would not be valid and so if you were using it to gain residency, it would be fraudulent and he certainly could be deported. You could also go to jail.

Bad plan!

Schplakken
Rating
No! You are in too big of a hurry. Get to know a person before you make a decision to marry. That is not to be taken litely...you are pledging two lives together and asking for God's blessing. Sleep on it.

laurieanino@sbcglobal.net
No, of course not. Polygamy is illegal.

witchygirl122781
Rating
Im sorry but bigamy is illegal in the U.S. Your marrage would not be legal because you are already married.

Helen W.
Rating
For heaven's sake, no, you can't get married to one guy when you're still married to another. Yes, the government is likely to find out. And if your boyfriend's visa is based on him being married to a US citizen, he could certainly get deported.

Don't do this, it is a VERY BAD IDEA.

ThisGalRocks!
7 months? what??

You should READ ABOUT MARRIAGE LISCENSES..

You can not be married to more than one person at one time in the eyes of the law. When your divorce is final, you have to wait 30 days or present the final divorce decree.

What is the rush anyway? If he loves you he will wait for it to be final and do it right.. and not rush into a LIFETIME COMMITMENT!!

glbenner
NO you can not get married until you are divorced

hourglass_beauty
Rating
Its illegal to marry someone else while married. If you are in a hurry just to marry to keep a man in this country thats also illegal. Not to be harsh but If either is the case you can make plans for jail arrangements. Also if your last marriage didnt work out and you havent even divorced yet whats the rush. This sounds alarms off for me.

Karen S
Rating
Wait til the divorce final cause it is not legal to be married to 2 at the same time. Yes they can find out and yes they can deport him. Safe to wait

Doodlestuff
Rating
No. That is called bigamy, which is illegal and likely would be prosecuted in your case. In fact, some states have a waiting period even after the divorce is final. You would actually have to change your residency to avoid that.

Karla
Rating
You have to be divorced before you can remarry. It's as simple as that.

If you were to marry under false pretenses then it would not be a legal marriage and it would not stop him from getting deported.

Get an immigration lawyer to help him with what he needs to do to stay in the country.

Good luck.

leo
I don't believe you can marry someone if your divorce is not final. Technically you are still married.

master_escrimador
Hmmm....... Be married to two men at the same time??
The answer is NO,NO and NO !! You can be arrested for bigamy and serve jail time. And if it is found out within the next seven years,then you will go to jail and he WILL be deported on the grounds that he willing participated in a crime!! And even if he didn't know,He would still be deported on general principles. You don;t think they will let you keep your prize after you broke the law do you ?? Wait until your divorce is final and you won't have to keep looking over your shoulder for the next seven years and wondering when it's going to happen... I hope this has helped you...

Dude
Rating
You have to wait until your divorce is final.

Lolo
You absolutely can marry him before your divorce is final. BUT! You'd probably end up in jail for bigamy, fraud, and whatever else they can come up with. And he would then be deported anyway. You're dealing with immigration here and in this day and age the federal government is hypersensitive to stuff like that. So although you could marry him, its not legal.

never you mind
Rating
Of course you can't marry him before your divorce is final!!!!! Can you imagine how immoral it would be to have TWO husbands????? WAIT, until your dicorce is finalized, wait a month or two, THEN marry your boyfriend.

jreeses2673
Rating
you need to wait till your divorce is final, otherwise youll be married to two people at the same time..... try and speed up your divorce

Very Honest
Rating
What do you think, getting married is like going shopping?

It would be such a bad decision to get married. You didn't even get divorced yet! What the hell is the rush. You probably don't even know this guy.

Well, if you're that unintelligent, payback will show you how unintelligent when you'll probably be divorcing that guy too.

Jenny W
Rating
No you can't. Why are you in such a hurry? Of course the government will find out, who do you think you file your marriage certificate with? You have at least half a mind, use it.

claudiacake
Rating
Surely you know the answer to this. It is no, you cannot marry one person while already married to another.

Kaci
Rating
You could marry him but it wouldn't be a valid marriage. For it to be a legal marriage you have to have your divorce final.

MJ
Rating
Please if you do not know this you do not need to be getting married again.....

kevindoran77
no

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is he cheating?
When me and my husband was seperated he hooked up with a teenage girl. He is mostly attracted to the younger girls( younger than me). He keeps phone numbers hid in his tool box all the time. Well ...

My boyfriend and i (of 7 years) are having our second child . WHY WONT HE POP THE QUESTION?
He is an amazing boyfriend and a very loving father... we have a strong relationship that seems to get stonger as time goes on. I feel like its the ring that is holding him back. He calls me his wife ...

How do you know..?..?
How do you know you don't love someone anymore?
Additional Details
Well, I have the same burning love for my husband as i did the day i met him. But i feel like his love for me is ...

Need advice on dating a married man ....?
Ive been in a relationship with a married man for 6 months now. Him and his wife are in mutual agreement that they want nothing to do with each other, and a divorce as soon as possible. They have 1 ...

I told her I am married, still she says she loves me and she wants to be with me. What I am supposed to do?

If you had an affair with a married man?
and he left his wife and family for you...how would you feel about him lying to his ex wife? He lied to his ex wife about the timing of his vacation so that he would not have to bring his son. Of ...

What is the craziest thing you've ever done for love?

Have you been cheated on?
what astrology sign were they? were there any warning signs?...

Would we be horrible friends if we did this?
I know this isnít a m/d question but Iím asking here anyway =)

My fiance and I have a trip planned to NY with another couple. We started planning in January. For whatever reason, right ...

Please Help!!! I don't know what to tell my sister!!?
My sister is in a relationship with the father of her daughter. He is extremely selfish and spends most of his time doing personal things or at work. This leaves my sister with all of the care of ...

Revenge on a cheating boyfriend???? Ideas needed?
Just found out my boyf has been having a 7 month affair whilst working away, leaving me and my child on our own whilst he has this 2nd life away with some girl and her child! She knew about me and my ...

He suspected that I have another man and he is right, but why didn't he try to find out?
Im already married, but having an affair with a man who is single, he doesnt know Im married, we have been dating for 6months and we love each other. we meet every weekends and sometimes on weekdays ...

SURVEY: How many years have you been married?

My hubby says i have a problem?
my hubby gets 2 days off a week and he would rather spend it out with his mates for aleast 12 hours a day when i ring him and ask where he is he goes mad all i want is him to spend some time at home ...

How do I fatten up my wife, she's too skinny for me!
She weighs 160lbs only and she's 5'6. I weight around 225 at 5'8 so I'd like her to gain a few more pounds. It's hard being seen with her in public. she use to be 190 but ...

What's the craziest place you've ever "done it"?
Ever? Name a couple.
Additional Details
Here are my craziest, for those who care to know..

In a car, of course.

Bathroom at a furniture store.

Janitor�...

How would you feel if your husband treated you like this? Should I just move on?
My husband and I separated back in December 2007 due to his cheating on me, domestic violence and his refusal to help me financially even though we are husband and wife. We had been trying since A...

Can an abusive man still love you?
He is abusive, he wont let me leave him. Does he still love me? Can he still love me if he cant stop the hurt? It's hard on us both. What do you think we should do after a year and a half of ...

Please help!!!!!!?
Ok my friend just got married in April and his wife is a total B****, everything was going fine until the wifes daughter moved backi into the house with her mother and of course she brought her 2 ...

Is it possible to stay in love after a long time?
I'm moving in with my boyfriend and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I'm 19 and he's 21. We've been together for nearly two years now and I still feel smitten. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links