Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

Can my wife stop me from selling the house( it's in my name only)?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my wife stop me from selling the house( it's in my name only)?

I'm wanting to sell our house and move into something i can handle a little easier(a smaller home) She does not want to do this. The house is in my name only .I make the mortgage payments and my parents left me the money that was used to put the down payment on the house. the argument has gotten so big that it threatens a divorce over it. I know I'm screwed if we do that. Even though all the money used for this house was my inheritance, I've been told that I would still have to give up half to her. But can I sell it without her permission ,if we're still married?
Additional Details
We are going to lose it, if we don't do this, but I can't make her see it.

jude
if the home is in your name only i believe u have the right to sell it no matter what, but depends on what state u live in. money from an inheritance is not community property unless it gets mingled with money u share with her and since her name is no where on the deed u could probably legally sell it.

Betty M
Rating
An inheritance is NOT community property (a marital asset). It's considered your personal property. Since the house was paid for with your inheritance and put in your name, I don't think your wife can touch it and she can't stop you from selling it.

If I were you, I wouldn't guess about where you stand legally in regards to your inheritance or this house.

Don't tell your wife, just go see a lawyer and find out where you stand, before you do anything.

deliberately_in_denyal
You can sell it without her permission how ever the divorce thing is a big threat. Something that you should take seriously.

You would probably need to talk to a lawyer on the legality though. if she serves you with the divorce papers first the house is hers pretty much. even though the house is under your name it is still an asset that she can tap into. I think you should hear her out and find out the real reason why she wants to keep the house. And keep your opinions out of it first till you understand why she wants to still live in it.

hlnlange
Rating
Do you have a prenuptial agreement?

Aussiemum
If the house is solely in your name then YES you can sell it.

There is nothiing she can do about it, because her name is nowhere to be seen .

Divorce is a seperate issue, but by the time that happens the house would have already been sold, and put into your new smaller home.

Nort
I think that in most places she can stop the sale, but that's just my opinion and not law.

ndm1958
Rating
No you do not need her permission to sell since it in your name only. I assume that you want to move because you can no longer afford the larger house. What yo have to look at at this time and economy will moving really save you anything because of the values today. But if the option is either sell or lose the hose than you have no choice. I would suggest that you sit down with your wife and review all of your bills and income. I would have this prepared ahead of time to save time. If she does not agree than give her the information and tell her to show you how you can afford to stay and give her up to a week to review it again. You are right if you really love her you have to handle this carefully.

JOHN B
Depends on what country you live in.

Oo0LaLa
ur screwwed either way ! buddy ... havent u heard "the womans always right" my sis got a divorce and "HIS" house was sold and she got half..of that and half of all his assets...leave it be... and maybe one day u will see that there is a reason for everything.

Aggie
What's the point of marriage if you don't want your spouse's name on the deed?

Mike the man
laws are different from state to state some states a man can not sale even thou its only in his name call a title company or call a real estate broker either one can explain it to you

olive
Rating
why would you want to do that? In marriage people agree to disagree. You do not both have to have your way and make it a make or break issue. She might have a point. Give her some time she might change her mind.

Graham
of course she cant... she is a woman

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it annoying if your wife feels bad about her new haircut? Should the husband blame her?
I got a bad hair cut and feel bad about it. I told my husband about it and instead being comforted he blamed me for being ungrateful and it was my fault for choosing the wrong hair saloon.
A...

I made my ex wife giggle on the phone today,should I ask her if she wants to fool around?
we've been legally separated for a year and a half . She was very nasty when we split . But I still find her very physically attractive , she phoned tonight asking if I may have found her i pod ...

How come the ladies were calling me disgusting just because I asked about a pearl necklace?
Jeesh ya broads. I honestly don't know whats disgusting about a beautiful necklace encircling your neck....

I might have missed an interview, this may strain our marriage..?
I got a call last Wednesday from Lowes, I could have swore that the lady had told me to go to an interview on Tuesday (tomorrow), well my husband and I went to buy new clothes and everything for my ...

My family lives on the east coast and my husbands family and we live on the west coast. How do we comprimise?
I want to visit my family once or twice a year and my husband thinks that it is unfair that we need to spend our vacation time going to see my family. He doesn't consider that to be a vacation. W...

Seeking etiquette tips re: dads new girlfriend (long)?
my parents were married for 30 years, they seperated 6mths ago, and are amid an ugly seperation/divorce.

I am close to both parents, and live near by both of them, seeing them both ...

Is this A stupid poem To give to my husband?
I'm going to give it to my husband.. our light died tonight :'( if its stupid i don't want to give it to him... I still care.. about what he thinks .. :'(

TITLE : 4/2...

My husband just said me he's going to kill me?
I am pregnant with another mans child while my husband is in Iraq. When I confessed to it he told me he was going to chope me up into little pieces and cut my fetis out and feed it to its father. I�...

Is she cheating? I think so......?
My EXGF has self esteem issues, I know that. She is constantly concerned about her appearance and every girl that walks by is a threat to her. What concerns me is her constant fear, accompanied by ...

Why would a woman stay with her abuser?
how young can a relantionship (girlfriend /boyfriend kinda thing) get to that level. ithink it would first start out controling and then get worse oh and when i say young i mean like about maybe 12 ...

Ladies: What is the biggest lie you've ever heard from a guy?
The scenario is that you're single and you've met someone you really like. What is the biggest lie he ever told you that ruined it for you forever?
Additional Details
Answerer 3...

I want to get married outside in a garden...is that too feminine?
My girl and I are starting to discuss marriage a lot lately ever since a recent pregnancy scare! So we figured that we might as well go ahead and tie the knot real soon. We haven't figured out ...

How long do you wait for a spouse in jail?
have been married several years and now its like everything has paused due to the situation..i am in...don't know really what to do have been happy some part of the marriage but some times not ...

What are things i can do to keep from being clingy to my hubby but not push him away?
He makes me feel like i'm too clingy sometimes. i like to talk to him but he says he doesn't need to talk to me every minute of the day. he gets mad at me when i ask him to do stuff for me. ...

How long til my divorce is final?
I have already won sole custody of my daughter and I will be legally separated a year on august 3rd. we are not splitting anything up so how much longer am i looking at. please give me a good answer ...

Was family life better before the women's lib movement and wasn't the divorce rate lower?
If women would simply accept a subservient role to their man in a marriage family life might regain its rightful place as a foundation for a strong nation.

Gentlemen, what do you think?

I started seeing someone who keeps talking about his ex. How she mistreated him but is now so sorry and wants?
to get back together with him. Am I right in assuming if he keeps talking about her and that if she tries to persuade him to get back, then chances are they'll get back together? Thanks. (B...

Men, has your wife ever requested...?
...anything from you to do with her in bed that you did not care to do? How did you handle it? What is your idea of mutual satisfaction? Are there situations where you are the pleaser and others ...

Do you love his wife? you think she love u?

Husband was convicted of a violent charge(battery of a family member) victim contacted me w details. what now?
I found out his first marriage ended bc he was violent with her. And now the victim I found out is missing a finger, and he also got a tampering with evidence charge for trying to clean up the scene. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links