Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

How long after u get married do u have for u to be able to get an annulment ??
Find answers to your legal question.

How long after u get married do u have for u to be able to get an annulment ??

I have a sister-in-law that just got married 3 monhs ago and is now havin problems and knows she wants to get out of the marriage...is she still able to get annulment ?? and btw she lives in VT could laws be different everywhere ?? someone plz help!!!
Additional Details
and reason for wanting an annulment is because rite now her child is in the hospital because of him hurtin the baby would that be a reason for her to be able to get an annulment ??

Tara
She will probably have to get a divorce .. but she needs to check the specific laws of her State.

She can GOOGLE the STATUTES of her State by using her State's name .. Family Law Statutes, etc.

RebelYankee
Rating
Annulments have nothing to do with state law - they have to do with the law of the Catholic Church. It sounds as if she has a very valid reason for it. It is a lot of paperwork involved required by both sides and if he doesn't cooperate it can take forever.

marcia f
Rating
She needs to contact a divorce lawyer there in VT and ask him/her. Or she could call the marriage license office and ask them. Every state is different.

TotalRecipeHound
The length of the marriage has little to do with an annulment although some states do have a time limit that you can apply for an annulment. There has to be a reason why a marriage did not exist. The reason you presented has nothing to do with an invalid marriage and she will just have to file for divorce.

In Vermont, the only grounds for annulment is a marriage to someone under 16, someone who has a very low IQ or is severely mentally ill, or consent was obtained by force or fraud. An example of fraud is bigamy and in many states, known infertility not revealed prior to marriage. I don't know how you'd prove force unless you could prove blackmail of some kind.

Momma M
get a divorce. an annulment is for catholic people who pretend they were never married.

♥Carla J♥
oh yeah definitely, i do think it's possible for her to get an annulment, i think it's available for like until 6 mths to a year, but every state may have different laws about it, maybe you should get that checked out hun!

tony_le12
Well, if this is report to the police he will be put away for a while for child abuse.

She can get divorced if she want.

File paper, don't know how to do it yourself then hire a lawyer. Either serve him the paper herself or pay some one to do it for her. After he sign, (If he sign it) Then wait for the supreme court to process it through.

Help
In most states you got one year to get annulment.

MayberryNR5
Rating
I dont know VT laws..sorry i could not help

Franco
Rating
She must go to a lawyer and divorce the monster. The later she leaves it the worse her chances. She can get an order from the court to the husband to leave the house and pay them maintenance.

Carlette D
yes; all she has 2 do is bring her baby's medical bills 2 court n say that is y she wants a annulment. it shouldn't b a problem.

wldchldwoman
IN MOST PLACES IT IS NINETY DAYS, (THREE MONTHS).
SHE NEEDS TO GET ON THE BALL IF SHE ISN'T OVER THE TIME. EVEN IF SHE HAS TO GET A DIVORCE, DO IT!! AND IF SHE REPORTED THAT IT WAS HIM WHO HURT THE CHILD HE WILL BE IN JAIL!!!

Lithean
In some places its a year. So have her call a lawyer and find out.

Cucuy
I think you have 180 days from the day you say i do to realize you should've said Hell No I dont!!!!

Smiley S
Rating
well in VA..where I live...you have up to 2 years to get annulment...there are certain criteria you must meet though, and both have to be willing to do it..........just because they don't get along does not meet the criteria.........

Criteria in our state include: marrying under false pretenses, if one of them are already married in another state...or if one says he or she can have children..but know that they cannot bear children........talk with a lawyer and see what your criteria are for your state...

Roy's Wife
Rating
No, it's not a reason to get an annulment, she has to prove that he is crazy and that's the reason she did it. All she has to do is go and file a petition with the court suggesting he was mental at the time of the marriage or shortly there after and have them order a psych eval. You can get an annulment at the 24 hour mark. It depends on the state how long after your married that you can get an annulment as far as days, weeks or months go.

CM77
Where I'm from, 6 months.

Jake P
Rating
Divorce is more like it, if they have a kid together an annulment may not apply. Something about consummating the relationship, and making a baby fits in there.

lifes2good83
Rating
us marriage laws.com may answer your question for you good luck and best wishes

chronically Rejected
Rating
anytime. just file it.

honey
Rating
You can file for an annulment at any time in a marriage. Your sister-in-law would need to talk her parish priest to get the process started. abuse of spouse or child is grounds for the Catholic Church ro grant an annulment.

♥ † ♠ ♣ MORECOWBELL
a year...

Jackie M
It varies by state. She should be looking into it. If she can't get an annulment, maybe she can still get a hitman.

jonn449
Under VT law you are not eligble for an anulment.
There is no time limit on an anulment of a marriage based on fraud.
I was "married" for 14 years and got an annulment from my "ex" based on fraud.......she forgot to tell me when we "married" that she was already married to someone else.
This was in NC, done at the local courthouse, cost me $1200 and it was all legit.
I'm sure that there will be at least one that says I'm a liar, but I can provide a case number and its public record.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What's the worst thing about being married?

When you look in the mirror?
What do you see? I see a woman that had her heart broken and is now more strong and more beautiful than ever....

OK last night my husband went out drinking. when he got home l check his voice mail on his cell phone.?
there a a lady left hom a mesage saying l had a good time thanks for evening and call me l confronted him and l was going to call the number and ask her way are you calling my husband he got so upset ...

Is there something your spouse really wants to do in the bedroom that you won't do?
Why not? Should they be allowed to go elsewhere for it?...

Will i get a rich husband?

Do i leave my wife for my girlfriend?
I love them both but why would i look else where if i really loveed my wife? Im so unsure!...

Am I horrible, should I end it?
I met this great guy a few months ago and we get along great, we go out on dates and have a blast and we talk and have lots in common.
One day he apologized for lieing and told me that he was ...

Do you wish you married somebody else?

Additional Details
Thank you. I will choose a best answer after I re-read everybodys answer a few times....

How do you justify cheating?

Way is my wife stupit?

Separate Finances and debts in marriages?
Since some marriages end due to financial
reasons, do you think that couples should keep their
fiances and debts separate?...

If your wife cheated and u have been apart 9 months, she asked to give her another chance, what should i do?
She cheated for 2yrs with another married man, and we have 4 kids under 8yrs old. Now i think she is mad with him about something. Should i just walk away from her?...

Married people only please?
My husband is not satisfiying me in bed. I talk to him about it but he says he'll change a little but he doesnt. Its basically like ME ME ME. Kiss ME caress ME. Im tired of talking about it ...

Very very personal question... 18+ only?
Do you give your husband head? How often should a wife do that for her husband?...

Wife's day off is for cleaning...Husband's day off is for...?
This is a constant source of tension in our household: On my day off, if I "do nothing" but relax or do things I enjoy, I'm being lazy. In other words, in order to be a "good&...

Would like to be with a women so should I?
have an affair with a women? I would love for my husband to be involved with this, but he actually said he has no interest in seeing me with a women. What should I do?
Additional Details<...

My husband insists on being a couch potato, and keeping in touch with his ex's...Is this normal?
I am 4 months pregnant, and my husband insists on remaining a couch potato, and not getting a job. He stays in constant contact with his ex wives, even though they bad mouth me on a periodic basis. W...

Which woman is better looking? Thanks!?

Additional Details
http://i118.photobucket.
http://i118.photobucket....

I messed around w/ a married man and didn't know he was married...?
When I found out it was too late we were already so close, but the more I thought about it, it ate at me . And I knew even if we were ever together he would just cheat on me too. So I ended things. ...

I m depressed.?
i m a normal housewife. im pregnant now.i had a normal education.i dontlike to stay in home.i want to do something of my own. but my hubby does not want me to work outside. he says i m there for u to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links