Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

If your husband told you he just settled for you would you stay married?
Find answers to your legal question.

If your husband told you he just settled for you would you stay married?

My husband is a great guy. He isn't lazy, holds a good job, doesn't cheat on me, drinks socially & not daily. I mean there is a lot of great things about him. But he told me this last night and I don't know what to do. I don't want another man because most of them are horrible to deal with. But should someone stayed married to someone if there really isn't love?

KJ
yeah, some 'great guy' you married.

open your eyes.

Marcus
Rating
Guys say dumb things all the time. You cannot let a few words destroy your marriage. We all settle in relationships. If not, we would all be single because no one is so perfect for another person. We all argue, fight, have misunderstandings, get on each other's nerves, say hurtful things sometimes, etc. It's just a part of human life that we deal with. Unless you know of some way to view a profile of every person on the planet and take your top pick, you have settled.

Happy-2
I don't get it. In the beginning, you said he admitted that he settled for you. But at the end you ask if you should stay if there "really isn't love". I don't get that. Did he say he didn't love you? I think you're misinterpreting what he told you. If he married you, he obviously loves you. Maybe you just were not the fabulously wealthy, Harvard educated, rock princess, nymphomaniac supermodel he had secretly been dreaming of.

Jen
Personally, if my husband told me he "settled" for me, it would devastate me and I would be completely disillusioned. I would never settle and expect 100%. What do you want out of your marriage? If its just someone to come home to at night then I guess you got it.

Apple Tart
Rating
We all want that grand true love that is the stuff of romance novels and chick flicks. Truthfully, I settled for my husband because he was a great worker, had ambition, was cute enough, wouldn't drag me into debt, would be a good father, and I liked him alot. Is he the love of my life? Nope. Is our marraige one great big mushy adventure? Nope. But we are comfortable and work well together to survive the ins and outs of living with the same person year after year. I say if the two of you get along and respect and like eachother and he's a good man and you're a great girl, why leave? Life is not like the movies and there's no riding off into a blissful sunset for every and ever in the arms of the man you love. If I married the love of my life, we would be in debt up to our eyebrows, have a pack of wild kids that I would have to take as he sat in his armchair day after day searching for the meaning of life. I loved that man but I'm so happy I "settled" for my husband instead! HOWEVER it was assinine of your hubby to actually say that to you! Don't let it damage your self esteem. Fact is, he choose you...and that means he knew he would be happy with you.

Missy M
Rating
Was this out of the blue or in the midst of an argument? If it was in the midst of an arguement then ignore it, he probablly didn't mean it. If it wasn't then talk to him about it and about what he wants to do about it. Does he want a divorce? I'd love to have an answer for you as this is probablly devestating to you but this is something you have to talk to him about.

WhiteChocolate
Rating
Wow, that must have really hurt you. First of all, ask him what he meant by the remark and then discuss the chances of your marriage making it if this is how he really feels. Good luck!

Mean Carleen
Rating
You know what if you think deep maybe you just settled for him as well. I am looking at the bigger picture we all can do better with oiur mates, EVEN if we are completely satisfied. If he didn't want to be where he is, he wouldn't be. I wouldn't read into his comments too much UNLESS he has been acting weird recently.

melouofs
What a totally hurtful thing to say. I would want to talk a lot more about that. That isn't something you just say to someone.

well since you asked.
Rating
Find out why he feels like he settled for you. Then proceed to show him why he made the best choice and it wasn't settling.

Or leave.

Jane Marple
You're happy?
He's happy?

I would settle for a man like yours any day.

kittenish
No. He doesn't love you and if I know men (and I know men), this statement coming out of his mouth means he's been thinking about this for a long, long time. Unless he was drunk, you say he drinks socially...

Tiff.<3
Rating
That's hard..
Personally I wont be able to look at him the same way.
So I would leave.. and hopefully find my TRUE love.
Not someone who settled for you. How crappy of him to say that!!
You deserve the best.

alwayswvgirl
No, I would not. I'd pack his things for him and set them outside and change the locks immediately.

If he wants to stay married to you, he has to EARN your respect.

nomokomoyo
WHAT R U WAITING 4???

Wisen Smart
Rating
Your concept of marriage is company and to avoid being alone, you are totally wrong. If there is no love, then there is no marriage. So you rather stay in a loveless relationship than to give yourself the opportunity of finding true happiness.

Life is full of risks, you cannot stop living it for fear of failure. Failures in life is what makes you mature and grow stronger or else you will always be an insecure, fearful, miserable, frustrated woman. Don't do it.

Throw the dice and hope to win. Its a gamble and you should enjoy it while you are playing it.

LeeH
Rating
Did he say it out of anger? If he did, just ignore it. Or maybe he doesn't have the balls to end it and he's hoping you will do it.
Do some serious reflecting. If he is being honest and you guys don't decide to end it, it will likely find a way to end itself and trust me, in a far more painful way.

Kari
Rating
No because I would know that he truly did not love me.

Scott
No. Leave him. Or did you "settle" for him?

iwanturpussinmyface
Only if you really need him. Hunny, there are sooooo many great guys out there and life is SHORT..

Be totaly happy, live the dream, or move on and find it....

One of he Good guys

Jeff
Rating
Well I am male so I don't have or would not have a husband

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why cant husbands tell the difference between...?
a bathroom hand towel, a kitchen towel, a dusting cloth and a rag?

The bathroom towels are not to be used to dry dishes, dust rags aren't for drying your hands off, and the kitchen ...

Time limit for Tn. annulment?
What does this process require?...

What do you think my gf meant.......?
I overheard my gf's friends teasing her saying how i m going to leave her and they also said my gf was acting immature when she claimed to be an adult and then my gf goes "yup I'm an ...

Have any of you wives ever experimented with another married woman and the other wife wanted you all the time?
In other words, have you had a bi experience with a married woman and what was supposed to be a one time experience ended up being an infatuation by the other. The other wanted a fulltime bi ...

How do you get over someone when they were the ones cheating on you?
Im sitting here at work and i feel like im bout to crumble to the floor!! i feel BLU!!!!!
That song by michael bolton 'how am i suppose to live without you' is playing on the ...

If we got married and never live together can we get the marriage it annul? We are 8 months into the marriage.?
My wife and I got married last year with the intentions to live together. Condition were if I could get a job in the state she lives in. I've tried and haven't been successful. As we all ...

Who chooses what is for dinner: The Wife, The Husband or Combined Effort?

How would u deal with this situation?
Hi
I love my husband but he annoys me by judging evey one! me, my friends, my family! every single move i make will be judged by him! and sometimes he does it so aggressively.
I really don&#...

Do you think I deserve to be treated this way, or do you think he's being cruel?
I just graduated college, and I am ready for the next step in life, I want to find my lifelong partner and get married. There are a lot of things that I want to do in my life, but I don't want ...

I am not sure if Im being unreasonable or not.. does he not want to be apart of my life?
Honestly I am not sure if Im being unreasonable or not... my boyfriend isn't as social as I am and my friends and family often have dinners and parties and while I completely understand that he ...

I want to divorce my wife. Everytime I try and talk with her, she cries and I feel sorry and guilty.?
I am not happy. She knows it. Is it wrong to write a letter and leave. She knows I want it, but I can't seem to leave when she cries. I have left letters before with ex girl friends and left....

Ok. New question about bipolar guy?
What if I played his game, and said "You know what I am not ready to talk, I have done a lot of thinking too, Give me the night, sleep in the spare room again. Maybe it isn't too early to ...

Can my wife leav the sate with my kids?
my wife is at the safe house because she made an false acusment of me abusing her and the kids because an week ago i witnessedher slapping the kids. the next dat after she left i was served an ...

Is my ex addicted again?
My ex has been in rehab twice for prescription drugs. I have learned that he is taking them again although he knows he should not due to his past addictions. A drug test was done through the courts ...

My husband wont do anything with me?
Ive tryed all weekend to have him go and do something with me. he wont how can I get him to do anything fun we are only in are 50's it is driving me crazy HELP ME PLEASE...

What are your goals in life?
Are they different from when you were younger? How do you accomplish them? Do the people around you fit in with your goals? Are they financial, emotional, materialistic?
Additional Details<...

Why is it so hard to move beyond divorce?
I keep trying for another relationship only to feel more pain. It's hard for me to be single. Any advice... I have two teens as well and a 22 yr odl....

Should ex wife make a speech calling self daughter in law after a 14 yr div. & ex is remarried?
I wrote a couple of weeks ago that my husbands ex and children acted horrible at the wake. His ex made it her personal reunion and his children took my mother in law and my picture off the board. It ...

My bestfriend cheated on wife at my bachelor party?
I had a bachelor party about a week ago and it's still been eating me up, We had strippers and what not and they gave my bestfriend head after I was offered, I said no because I wouldn't ...

Hmmm... wedding ring or purity ring? Is there something to this?
I recently joined a gym. I work night shift as a nurse, so I have been heading to the gym early in the mornings around 8 am. The gym is usually pretty dead around this time. However, sometimes I go ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links