Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

Is it right to tell a christian woman to leave her abusive husband?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it right to tell a christian woman to leave her abusive husband?

I have a mission to empower on the lessons of living, loving and learning, and as i go about this mission, i am often faced with the dilema of Gods word "I hate divorce" and advicing a woman to leave an abusive marriage to safeguard her emotional and psychological well-being as well as that of her children. I am of the viewpoint that the Bible does not imply that we remain in marriage regardless..............some religious leaders frown at this. Could i have some thought through suggestions and contributions to this debate please. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
Additional Details
As well as physical well-being

Jim T
The religion of the individuals has nothing to do with it. If a person is in trouble, they need to get help, even if that means getting out.

If you are woried about being at odds with your bible, consider this: Your vaulted ten commandments state clearly: THOU SHALT NOT KILL. Look at the statistics for domestic violence. "Every year in the United States, 1,000 to 1,600 women die at the hands of their male partners, often after a long, escalating pattern of battering."

honey_bear_21_1999
Rating
Yes, I think God would forgive a Christian woman for leaving an abusive husband......leaving just b/c "I don't love u anymore" isn't a good reason.....physical/emotional abuse is........anyone being abused in any way should find the nearest exit and RUN!!

Pema
Rating
It is right to tell a woman (or more rarely, a man) of any faith that they should leave an physically, mentally or emotionally abusive partner. It is also extremely difficult as generally the abused person makes excuses for the abuser. It is necessary to support someone who should leave - give a woman the contact details for her nearest women's refuge. They will usually accept children although I know there can be problems.
One main reason for staying is that a woman may not have an idependent source of income (some men delight in making sure they know exactly what their wife is doing at all times and keep her short of money to control her) and thus may be worried about how she can afford to leave.
She may also be worrying about the children. Just remember that research has shown that child abuse and domestic violence often go hand-in-hand.
Whilst not a christian, I find it hard to think that any religion would force a woman to stay in an abusive situation. Life is not a punishment, it is surely about realising your talents and abilities and helping make the world a more wonderful place to live in.

the_confusing_one
yea of course a husband shouldnt b abusing his wife

jayne
Rating
God would not like to see this woman being hurt !!! God also didn't make man to be a bully

julie w
Rating
religion shouldnt be a factor.....any one in a abusive relationship has the right to get out....instead of having the bible or any other religious tool preached at them,they should be offered help and support.....and thats for the abuser and abusee.

Shary M
Yes, God doesn't want you to get yourself killed with an abusive husband.

Cookiewoman
I am always amazed by some Christians and the Clergy and their beliefs in regard to not advising a person to leave an abusive relationship. I will make the assumption that they also frown on suicide, so I have to ask the question, if a woman or man is in an abusive relationship and can find no other avenue of resolving the abuse the Christian Adviser should not only encourage them to leave the abuser, they should consider that staying in an abusive situation is suicide, and if children are involved, it is child abuse to allow them to remain in that situation. What is the difference in self abuse and mutilation and the allowing of another person to abuse us, I see them as the same. Like I said, if children are involved that person is the only one with power enough to protect them by leaving the abuser. Why is that so difficult to rectify with the teachings of Christ. Of course counciling should be on the table and reconciliation an option but safety of the person is the First and Foremost Priority. Christ would step between the abuser and the abused, can we do no less?

luvlisteningtomusic
Well first of all I would think that God would want us to be in a loving relationship. I think she should get out of the marriage if he is hurting her physically and emotionally. Life is to short she should be living it happily!!!!

Proud mum to Tyler and Riley.
Rating
I believe christians disapprove of divorce, so it may be a little hard to convince her to leave, but I'm strongly against any man who lays a hand on his wife in anger, and no matter what the belief, its very wrong. I had a friend who was a battered wife, and i was with a physically and emotionally abusive partner. But, despite pleas to go, i only left when i was ready to. And my friend unfortunately stayed despite pleas to go, until she was carried out in a coffin. Her husband came back in a drunken rage, and beat her to death. He'd beaten her so badly her face was unrecognisable, making a physical identification impossible. As my Mom always says; "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink".. Advise her, help her, even persuade if you can, but bear in mind you cant force her..

lmdragonldy
Please tell me what being a Christian has to do with tolerating abuse? Where is it written in the Bible that a woman should tolerate abuse? To my knowledge, nowhere. It would be un-Christian of you to not help her find the courage to leave.

Auzziemale
Yes you can God said let the man love his wife like his own body but if he has been abusing his wife he must hate God and his own body. But remember this if she is out of that enviroment and take the kids with her she will be alot safer because if you look at history that any one thats stays in abusive relationship is some going to get seriuosly hurt

Pimp_Slapper
Rating
It says God hates divorce but HE understands. The reasons for divorce are adultry and one partner being ungodly. An abusive man is NOT godly so she is right to leave. God understands the heart of all and knows that sometimes we make bad decisions on our own because of free will. It is sometimes best to start over.

ling g
yes. u are saving her live before she die

Ollie
No one should put up with abuse tell her to pack her bags & Goodluck to your friend

steve f
Rating
well said your right no one belongs in a abusive relationship no matter what religion they believe in

kezia
Rating
God can do anything in their life...ask them to pray...i'm sure God will help them and i'm sure there is something that God want to do in their family....
God Bless Your service

:)

frustrated and desperate!
Rating
i hate divorce myself but for a guy to hurt his wife is also unchristian-like! we can't "tell" the woman to leave her husband, she must find the courage within herself to know if she WANTS to leave her husband or stay and contnue to hurt physically, emotionally and spiritually!!!

tors
Rating
yes......god said to LOVE one anothere... theres no LOVE in a abusive marriage.....

Anointed to Minister
Rating
You mentioned the title - religious leaders and you used it correctly for it was the religious leaders that set Jesus up, it was them that was going to stone the woman while Jesus said, You without sin cast the first stone.
God hates sin, He hates divorce. You must ask what would Jesus do? If Jesus was to walk into your home and fine the abuse going on would He say, your going to be ok, this is the Lord's will for you or would He say this is not God's will for your life. Come with me! I would recommend to you to seek refuge firstly from the abuser, then healing from a Christian ministry that can stand with you in this time of need. Remember the end will be greater then the former. God has great plans for you just take a step from the enemy as Scripture says, the devil comes to steal, kill and destroy. This is whats happening to you. The sadness is that too many wearing the title of Christian are far from being Christlike. For Jesus would separate you from the abuse, restore your confidence and self esteem and then point you in a path of wholeness.

Babygirl86
I DON'T BELIEVE THAT GOD IS GOING TO FROWN ON YOU IF YOU TELL A WOMAN THAT IS BEING ABUSED TO DIVORCE HER HUSBAND, IT SAYS THAT GOD LOVES US AND HE DIED TO FORGIVE OUR SINS WELL IN MY HEART AND MY EYES SHE IS NOT COMMITTING A SIN BUT IF SO SHE WILL BE FORGIVEN AND IF YOU ARE HELPING HER OUT OF A BAD SITUATION THEN YOU ARE A GUARDIAN ANGEL AREN'T YOU?
GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK

truelylo
Every person has the right to a life free from torture and therefore it is part of God's want to free both women and men from the torture caused by an abusive partner.

The Bible is not God's pure word, it is simply an interpretation of his words, therefore you must look within yourself in your prayers and in your heart, to find the truth in the words the Bible claims are from the Lord.

I hope this helps. x x

are u crazy?...cuz i am not!
YES YES and YES

Wendyberyl
Rating
I don't believe God intends us to be abused.

CrzyCowboy
No

angelpockets
Rating
It is only right to encourage people to leave abusive relationships!

tomcat72667
hell yes

springo88
yes i think so.. cause no human deserves to be treated like that.. you would be wrong not to help her.. knowing someone needs help and not helping them is a much bigger sin that divorce.

tahiticat
Rating
Yes, it is correct to tell her to leave-abuse is NOT from God, who is the "excuser". The "accuser" is Satan.

sassychick
Rating
Yes it is alright to tell a christian women to leave her husband if he's being abusive....why should she stay with someone who is obviously not (loving, honest and cherishing her)u know the wedding vows....if he's being like that he's not keeping up his end of the bargain anyways.....its like all the guys hear is that there women has to love,honor and OBEY them!!!!But christ meant for marriage to be a loving and safe place....Men are supposed to love there wives just as christ loves the church that he gave his life..an abusive guy is not someone loving....in fact thats a selfish guy!God wants us to use wisdom in relationship..and if your using the wisdom that god gave u,u would RUN from an abusive relationship!!!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

REVENGE...how does this sound???
I recently broke up with my bf who cheated on me and broke my heart. I cheated on him too and now im pregnant. Im gonna make my ex think its his till I give birth and then tell him the truth.. Let ...

Is it fair that i have to pay child support to a ex partner who is now married .?
they both work full time like me and my new partner i pay £55 a week..how can this be right?...

My husband has got another woman pregnant but we can't divorce before the baby is born.?
Am I in anyway legally linked to this baby when it is born?...

My husband is going to prison and he said he wants a divorce if i go to san diego this weekend. what do i do?

Would you marry a man 13 years older than you?
I've been with my man for 4 years, we've lived together for 3 of them. He proposed on Saturday. What is scaring me is that if I marry him I will die a widow (because of the age gap). I love ...

If your boyfriend is abusive to you while dating when u 2 marry will he be less abusive? cuz u are his wife?
and as such will respect u more? do u know of any men that r abusive or were?...

What is the secret to a long lasting and a happy relationship / marriage?
I have met people who were happily married for 20 years to 55 years, and they all have their reasons, some say its giving each other space, while the others say its about adapting to the new life ...

Last night I got my wife's sister pregnant by accident, what do I do?
We were just fooling around and things got hot and heavy and I accidently got her pregnant, would my wife understand this?...

Not sure if I should cheat on my wife... I love her so much... Please help!?
I love her so much, but there is this really, really, I mean REALLY!!! hot bombshell who just moved in two houses down from ours.. Now me and my wife got married just about a year ago, i have been ...

I need your opinion. Adults only please.... i dont want 13 yr old trying to give me advice...?
So for a little while there... I though I was pregnant. Well I'm not. But my boyfriend said something that freaked me out a little last night... He said.. You know what would be sad? If you were ...

Im 18 should I get married?
My boyfriend and I have know each other for 5 years. We got together in 2005 and this year he asked me to marry him. He already told my parents that he wants to get married with me. As far as our ...

My wife has a safety pin on her bra to fix it?
We have plenty of money so why wouldnt she just get herself some new bra's.
just curious....

How many chances should I give my cheating wife?
My wife slept with her best friend, any old Army buddy a few years ago. When I discovered what happened and confronted her, she promised to break all contact so that we could repair our marriage. S...

I've done something terrible.?
I got so drunk last night - I just went mental. You could call it alcohol induced psychosis. Anyway - cut a long story short, I stormed out on my husband, went out, and cheated on him. I love him ...

Should I give the engagement ring back?
My fiancee & I broke up 5 months ago, I still have the ring. The reason we broke up is because he was taping my phone conversations, trying to put spyware on my computer & he took hair out of ...

Who would you rather choose for your wife/husband: a person more or less intelligent than you?
And why?...

Would like to get married but not good looking, should i get a mail order bride or try to get a fat chick?
im serious........what do u think......im a guy scared of rejection too. should i try to move to a poorer country.....no females like me........

HONESTLY, would you have a one-night stand for one million dollars?
Cash in hand.

If you answered yes, what about with the same gender?

Just popped in my head.
Additional Details
Assuming you're married currently......

Should I charge my wife rent?
Due to my wife finding out about 32 of my 112 cases of infidelity during our twenty year marriage, she is now living in the east wing of our estate. However, as I own the property, should I charge ...

I am in a marriage with a very mentaly abusive alcoholic husband?
I have wanted to leave for almost three years now, but with two beautiful small daughters I dont know how I can afford it. Cannot live on child support alone. I am scared, have never lived on my own ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links