Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

Why is marriage less valued now than it was 20 years ago, 50 years ago, 100 years ago?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why is marriage less valued now than it was 20 years ago, 50 years ago, 100 years ago?

What has made the value of marriage as an institution deteriorate so rapidly and so drastically? It saddens me. What happened?

Spaz
A growing number of people are being taught a sense of entitlement. The idea of "I'm special, no matter what I do, how hard I work, or what I say".

No one is special by default. No one "deserves" a happy life, it has to be earned.

Sadly, many people think otherwise, and when their marriage doesn't put them in a constant state of bliss, they leave their significant other.

regjoeschmo
Rating
marriage is seen as a fairytale anymore.... people don't understand that happiness is in the moments, not a "forever good feeling". My question is: Why do people expect so much out of marriage?? Why do people expect things to be different?? The only change is the commitment you make to the other person, and with divorce rates climbing that doesn't seem to matter.....It is a shame, but we (society in general) are more worried about ourselves to even think of our partners

Danielle K
Rating
my marriage isnt less valued then marriages were back in the day...i very much respect my marriage and the commitment...i think it is sad that so many people do not...i think that americans (? hope you are talking about americans) are greedy i want what i want people and throw it away when i am done with it.....it is a product of how spoiled we have become in a society when we can have whatever we want....i sound like a old lady but my values are old fashioned i was taught as a child that your family is your heart and i do not take my heart lightly

MelC
Rating
people aren't willing to put effort into anything anymore and we get bored more I think life has just become so easy. 50-100 years ago people worked so hard that the relationship was the easy thing in life and loving each other was what they looked forward to these days people are lazy and people always want things to stay entertaining and always want something that stands out and people aren't happy just loving each other.

Tami
Morality changed...

look around on here (yahoo answers), one night stands are normal, STD's are not so bad as long as revenge is involved...swapping partners is just fine as long as the other partner has control over whom is with whom....

People lost morality, walked away from God, humanity fell to monatizing everything, men are being falsely accused at such a rate, society is being fear mongered into fearing all men, they are being pushed to the very edge of society.

but it is cyclical, if you look at Roman history, the same thing happened then too, men were pushed to the fringes of society, walked away from women and families, but this time it is worse...women became the ONLY protected gender, a special interest, chattel of "state" this time around....

sadly the human race suffers this time

{sigh}

BK 2008
Rating
It isn't valued because society has accepted behaviors as ok that didn't used to be. Living together, having children out of wedlock were all looked down upon. Slowly, those things were accepted... after time they became the norm. We are responsible for our morals. Sadly, the morals of America have been going downhill for a long time.

tincan62
Rating
because women can sat on thier asses and have everything given to them by order of the state, including the kids, the guys pension, his social securiy, in the mean time she remarries and still retains all the first husband has to give her. get the picture,, marriage is a business for females at the expense of the males life,

Lanie L
Years ago, the word divorce was taboo. No one uttered the word muchless considered it because it was shunned by society. I don't think people are any less happy than they were years ago, I think they are less willing to do whatever it takes to make it work. People have accepted the idea of divorce and it is now acceptable to society where 20 year ago it was not acceptable.

Linkin Park Rules!! (3)
cuz general society has decayed since our grandparents time. ppl don't value the family values anymore, and that's basically what's wrong. and now if ppl want to say or think like that was decades ago, they are ridiculed, and its not right

teenie
Rating
Two reason i can think of as to why marriages doesn't last as long as yesteryear.

1) Married couples today won't put up with cheating or physical abuse like they did back then.
2) Couples just don't have the will or comment to stay and works things out it's easier to just walk away and find another.
You hear people say they take marriage seriously but they can't not when they walk away from a partner who just make a mistake. Without even given them a chance to prove their love and devotion. The horrible part is they still love their partner but left all because their proud was hurt.
You constantly hear people on here Q&A give the same advise and that is to leave walk away you don't deserve to be treated like that. Without even knowing that person they are telling them to walk away. If i felt like most i would have walked awy also but i stayed and I'm glad i did because he has proven to me over and over again and again how much he loves me. Married 30 years next month.

kim h
Women also have options now. Back then they stayed in bad marriages because they had no choice. They were the property of their husband and their families made them believe that they were not good women to think otherwise.

NONAME
People are too lazy to work for anything and think they are entitled to everything.

eheheheh
Equality for women.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How can I get my ex to start talking to me again?
I am due to have my divorce hearing next week. Long story short. The love of my life and I had to break up to attend college in separate cities. Graduation is approaching. I married someone else whom ...

Girls when does your husband spend time with you and the kids?
Mine works 2nd shift says he leaves around 2:00pm and get home around midnight or a little after.
Then he goes to bed not long after and then sleeps gets up for work eats gets ready and leaves. I...

What do I do?? I want him to realize?
I am engaged, We have a beautiful baby girl together and another baby on the way. Here recently my fiance started smoking cigarettes. Before I go on I have no problem with it or anything I just dont ...

How i can marriage some good women?
lets go to river.........

Is it natural to be attracted to someone else if you are already in a relationship?

Need help please what would you do if you were me?
so i don't know what to do me and my bf been together for 6 years now until 4 years ago he was really into me like he would die for me but now i don't know i just don't feel like he is ...

How did i upset her.?
I asked my gf of 9 years to marry me. I have no idea how i upset her. But all i seen was her go back into herself. She is the most beautiful woman i have ever seen. We have been together since i was 1...

Husband is coming hove very soon from Iraq...need advice?
My husband has been deployed for about 8 months now, he's returning home very soon and I'm sooo excited! Any suggestions of something special to do for him??? I really want to show him how ...

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
i am married and still be in love with my ex-boyfriend, i don't feel the same way toward him like i do toward my ex, am tiring hard so that he don't see the way that i really feel, it'...

Should I allow my wife to hang out with a guy alone?
My wife haves a guy friend that she use to have a crush on years back before me. They are best friends and she text him a lot like almost everyday and almost half of the day and erases them right ...

Manager lied to my husband to save her own job?
About a month ago, my husband's manager told him and his only other co-worker that if they don't score above a 95 on their audit, "all their jobs will be at stake". She told them ...

Are you friends with your in laws? why/why not?
cause i realize that your siblings pick partners that suit them, not necesarrily choose partners that suit you. so are you friends with your inlaws? if they werent married, would u still be friends ...

I been married 10 years but im not in love with him im i love with another man what do i do?
i have been really unhappy for years but my husband is a good man but i cant live knowing im no in love with him when im in love with someone else how do i tell him and not hurt ...

What is the best "surprise" gift for a wife?
my wife's birthday is coming...I want to surprise her with ...

How can you tell if this married man wants a fling n the side, and should you go for it if you want it?
i work in a very public place where i am in constant contact with many men away from home on business.. well, i have become oh, so extremely attracted to one in particular guy.. he is 18 years older ...

Why do men always think they are doing things right..?
and they never admit they are wrong....ur opinion ...

Should I stay or should he go?
I just turned 31, so I'm still feeling that sting of regretting all the things I didn't do in my twenties....most notably, getting married and having kids. I really want that in my future, ...

Husbands who verbally abuse wives when drunk?
I have a friend who says her husband always says very cruel things to her when he is drunk (calls her a "wh*re", "s*ut", is very mean). She confronts him the next day and he ...

What do you think about gays getting married?? to me i thinki its wonderful but what is your thought on it?
do you think its going to affect your life?? why?? or why not??...

What about your spouse or love makes you sigh?
Everytime I see my husband focusing on his work it makes me want to just jump and kiss him... I dont know what it is, maybe the fact he doesn't know I am watching him but it makes me just sigh......

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links